What else compares to the Sportster 883?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by SkippyThe, Jul 17, 2005.

1. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

I've been away from bikes for about 10 years now and am itching to get back on one. I'm looking for a fun to ride upgradeable bike. I keep coming back to the 883 Sportster. What else is comparable for about the same price? Thanks ST

2. Rosey

Rosey

Tough to say without knowing your inclinations towards style and level of desired performance. Really, I can't think of much that directly compares to an 883 besides the Triumph Boneville. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason the 883 exists is so people can own a Harley for minimal cost. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there's lots of hop-up parts for 883s (there use to be an AMA 883 racing class) but if your going down that road, I'd just start out on a 1200.

[​IMG]

Suzuki SV650 ($5949 MSRP)? As far as fun to ride, an SV650 is gonna be tought to beat compared to ANY bike. And it will run circles around everything here except maybe the Buell (??). Serously, a performance comparison between an SV and an 883 would be humorous. And it doesn't cost much and will likely run forever.
    [​IMG]

Buell XB9R ($8695 MSRP)? Lots of go-fast style (could be good or bad, I'm guessing bad in your case) but it's heart is mostly Harely.
    [​IMG]

Ducati Monster 620 ($6995 MSRP)? The budget Ducati.
    [​IMG]

Maybe the Triumph Bonneville ($6999 MSRP in black) is more your style? Similar power to the Ducati (i.e. a little more than an 883). I don't know how they handle but I doubt it could be worse than than an 883.
    [​IMG]

I'm drawing a blank on what other new bikes are available that are even a little bit similar.

3. SkippyThe

SkippyThe

Thanks for the input I forgot about Triumph. My Brother had a 60s ? model and it was the coolest when I was 12. My last bike was a Honda Hurricane 1000. I just want to go with something to get back into it and then go upwards to something better. ST

4. k12lts

k12lts

According to Motorcycle Consumer News the closest performance comparison is the Suzuki Bergman Scooter...

Look elsewhere.

Some good suggestions above, especially the SV650.

5. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Agreed. I have ridden a 883 at HD's open house in York, PA. Most people who buy and mod a 883 end up with the equivalent of a 1200. Unless you enjoy the process, I'd just go with a 1200 to start.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Skippy,

Some of the Japanese cruisers with small displacements from Suzuki is probably comparable to the Sporster 883, I suppose.

If the Sporster 883 is what you want, then get it. There are better bikes to be had, but so what? There will always be a better bike choice.

I personally like the Sporster 883's looks, especially in that weird Racing Orange color. Kit it out with the STORZ lightening parts kit and you'll be in like Flynn. I don't care much for the rest of the Harley's fat whales look. To me the Sporsters line were more in synch with the original H-Ds.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's just mean, dude!

Besides, the "brick" nickname is already taken. [​IMG]

9. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

In terms of performance?

[​IMG]

10. RoyG

RoyG NSDQ

Checkout Sportster.org.

you might be surprised just how fast you can make a sporty go.

Sportster are like Ruger 10/22s. Yes there are much better .22 rifles out there and yes the first thing everyone does is start upgrading them. But sometimes it's not about the rifle/bike it's about making it yours.

11. Dandapani

Dandapani

I guess I was going for "block" instead.

I can bash Sportsters after owning one for 3 years, and then ended up selling it at a huge loss since it finally died and wouldn't run. I think it was the ignition module. No spark. I hated the 3 gallon tank, also. Gas every 90 miles.

12. shark_za

shark_za Woes

Is dmobrien confusing the 883 with his Glock pistol?

My opinion is that there is nothing that can touch the 883 if you want to tinker around with the cosmetics of the bike, have you seen the size of the harley options catalogue?

If you want budget performance get the SV650 or a very similar "clone" the Hyosong 650 Comet I think its called in your parts.
    That throws the prestige and tinkering out the door, but are great rides.

If you want to tinker a lot and not worry about looks, get what I have, a KLR650. Great too ride, and a lot of parts to make it closer too your own heart.

btw, it out performs any 883 up too about 100mph where it hits a brick wall and wont go faster.
    Bad when a dual purpose handles better than a street bike, ok lets call it a cruiser.

13. Rosey

Rosey

I don't believe Hyosungs are imported to the US.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This isn't an 883, but it's still a Sportster.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oops forgot to attach the pic to the previous post...

16. Dandapani

Dandapani

Oh, HD's definitely have the show, but not the go, LOL!

17. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

It really depends on what you are looking for. The Suzuki SV650 is one awesome bike overall, I must admit! It looks nice, performs like most people wouldn't believe, and is a good value (although the insurance companies are getting wise on the SV, and several have jacked the insurance up to match some of the sportbikes).

I'm a Harley fan (on my 2nd, owned 2 Buells beforehand), but for someone like you who has ridden before, I don't think the 883 Sporty would be the bike for you. I've only met one person who has kept their bike, and the only reason she hasn't upgraded is because she has a rare color (bright yellow, and she, being a Superman fan, had the Superman "S" painted on the tank), and she doesn't make enough money to upgrade. Almost every other person I've met that has had a Sporty has traded it for a bigger bike.

If you want peformance, go for the Suzuki! If you want some bling, go for the Ducati Monster (my personal choice would be the Duc!). If you want something that is more classic looking, go for a Harley. Each has a different riding style, and it just depends on what your style is (coming from a Honda Hurricane I'd stick with the SV or Duc).

Sorry to hear about your bad experience dmobrien. No manufacturer makes a perfect bike every single time though (that goes for everything, even our beloved Glock!)

18. Buelligan

Buelligan

Say what you will about 883's. None of the other bikes listed will hold their value like a Harley. If you have your heart set on one, nothing else will do.

I wouldn't have an 883, btw. For the same price, you can get a Buell or you could save your money and get an SV650, a bike I consider to be the best value up front. You could really clean up if you got a used one.

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Hyosungs are sold here in the US under the AlphaSports label. Great little bike, and inexpensive! Also, go with the 883 and have it converted to 1200. You'll have a bike faster thant the stock 1200 and you'll be ahead by about $1300 AFTER CONVERSION.

20. Rosey

Rosey

I didn't know about AlphaSports. Thanks for the info. Unfourtunately it doesn't appear they are importing the 650. :( At least their website doesn't list it.