close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What Does Your Tree Mean To You?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sawgrass, Dec 23, 2012.

1. sawgrass

sawgrass

Christmas is many things. This year because I haven't been home in a while I turned the ornaments made by my nieces and nephews over so that I can see their names and the year that they made them. There are a couple of ornaments made by my sister and a few from special friends over the years. All in all my tree is a 'sense of place' with loved ones present even though they aren't here.

What about yours?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

To me, sadly, it's a PITA.

I think working retail for 9 years has ruined me.

However, my kid really enjoys it. So, essentially, that's all that matters. :)

3. sawgrass

sawgrass

That totally sucks. I put few things on my tree that are purchased. It has to mean something.

USMCsilver you are one of my favorite people on GT. You can do better than that. Eff the retail crap, your home, your family, make it yours.

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

My kids love Christmas - the gifts, the food, rejuvenating with family. Our tree is non organic. It does not have much symbolism to us. It is a decorative item in our house. The act of getting the tree in place, decorating it, and placing presents under it for Christmas day presents mean more than the actual tree (kinda like the table we use to put the birthday cake on for birthday parties is just a table for us).

If your tree has significance to you, enjoy it and cherish the memories.

- G

5. sawgrass

sawgrass

Wow. Is that really acceptable to you?

Thanks, my tree is the only connection I have to my family right now. The ornaments made by my family and friends are giving me strength through the holidays without them.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

For me a tree up, is just a reminder what time of the year it is. No longer little so it doesn't have the same meaning, nor does Christmas for that matter really.

7. sawgrass

sawgrass

Why not? What DOES it mean? I'm not 'religious' but am 'spiritual', what does it mean to you? Why do it, if it doesn't really matter.

That said, I have had years where I forced myself to go to the effort, thankfully there was a reward.

8. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Right on man. I worked in retail for about 13 years before I finally got out and it totally numbed any good feelings I had about Christmas. I hate the music, I hate decorating, and I hate having to spend all sorts of money just because of one day of the year. I have a one year old now so I'm trying to get back into it for him but I think it will never be the same because of my retail experience. I associate the music and decorations with bad memories of long days dealing with nasty customers so its just a constant reminder. Going out to the stores and seeing those people act the same way also doesn't help either. People just suck.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hi sawgrass.

My family is very religious. For us (the adults...which means only my wife, as I'm only in it for the eatings :supergrin:) "Christmas" is central to the theme of Christianity more than anything else.

Thus, acting from that perspective, we try to be careful into not becoming sidetracked with our contemporary society's focus on its interpretation of how they see it.

We have other things in the house that provide more of a connection to family than the tree. There is a wall of pictures and milestones (an actual yard stick on the wall) with everyone's height marked off. I told my sons that as soon as my height starts diminishing, that chart is coming down.

- G

10. deputy tom

deputy tom

:tree:Our tree reminds me of Christmass' past and of the loved ones now gone. Some ornaments are from our first Christmas together and some are as old as I am. Whatever your trees mean to each of you think of good will towards men and peace on earth. Merry Christmas everyone. tom.

11. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Not much. If the wife didn't want a tree I wouldn't even put one up.

Used to have a plastic tree growing up, but one year the cats decided to pretend they were squirrels and after a few tries of keeping it up not to mention some ornaments damaged. The tree didn't come up the following year. Didn't miss it.

12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

I don't put one up since the kids have grown and are gone. Major PITA.

But I always recall hearing my Father each year, talking about the old Tannenbaum (it was always Tannenbaum, others called it a Christmas Tree but to him it was and is German first) after a few laced up egg nogs whenever we put the tree up when I was a kid... from whence it came, the whys, whens, relationship to our Germanic family origins (his mothers side), Christian Holiday, Winter Solstice, Sun God/Son of God, old family ornaments, tinsel levels, star or angel placed up top, etc.

He had pictures of the trees we decorated as kids. Each year the tinsel got a little higher as we grew (tinsel placement was the kids jobs exclusively) which he always thought was funny. It became a tradition we did with our kids as well. And it is/was funny.

So, I tend to think of the old man and how much he knew about little things like placing a fir tree inside the house when he had some egg nog in him. :supergrin:

13. norton

norton

Growing up it was live trees.
    When Mrs N and I first got married we continued the tradition.
    Then finally the miracle of the plastic tree. Looks real, Mrs. N puts it up, I don't have to do anything.
    But a couple of years ago, my MIL overhead me say I always wanted an aluminum tree.
    Bless her, she found a table top alum (actually its a wood pole with wire "limbs" covered with foil. I even got a color wheel for it.
    I love to look at it at night. Red, then green, then blue, then white.
    Merry Christmas to all of you. Even the Scrooges among us. :supergrin:

14. fusegsp

fusegsp

I haven't had a Christmas tree since 1994.

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I means I have to drag the crap out, put it up, only to take it down again. Really, its more annoying than anything else. But, it makes the wife and kids happy, happy, happy. So, I put up with it.

16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I'm a fallen Catholic, but I've always been of the belief that Easter is the central point of Christianity. Everybody in the World has been born, but according to the dogma only one "person" has every come back from the dead after dying to pay for the sins of Man.

But back to the Christmas Tree deal...when I'm home, I go out at cut my own tree. Not from a farm, but some poor little guy growing in the shade of it's parent tree.
    My best memories of Christmases Past are about going with my father and siblings for a walk through the snow, finding a tree and bringing it back on the tobogen to the old Ford station wagon and the smell of it in the living room. Sometimes it was a given a little cosmetic surgery by my father who drilled a few holes in the trunk and stuck in a few more boughs to fill it out a little bit more.