What does it mean to you to have the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Vic Hays, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

John 14:15-17 KJV
    [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Recognizing the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life gives me joy and peace that the world is nearly devoid of.

I remember hiking alone and being in awe of some natural beauty and feeling sad that I had no one to share it with. The Holy Spirit is a constant companion that I can share life with both the good times and the bad.

What has been your experience?

JBnTX likes this.
  2. Dave514

Dave514

To me it means that I've stimulated the pineal body to release DMT (N,N-Dimethyltryptamine) and have induced a feeling.

It's common throughout the world with metaphysical experiences and can be enhanced through meditation, prayer, chanting etc.. Inducing the effect on a higher level is what occurs when people do 'magic mushrooms', LSD or drink ayahuasca tea.

Some groups make it a religious effect and interpret their experience as a connection to the "spirit world" or assign god to it.

Studies using DMT injected directly are pretty interesting.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.

3. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

It is certainly a complex system that God has created in our minds so that we can even feel and experience His presence through faith. I suppose if someone wants to feel it they can experience a counterfeit experience by direct injection of DMT, but that is not my preference. I prefer the real thing.

The Bible says that some people prefer truth and some prefer a delusion. I prefer Truth.

2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 KJV
    [13] But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: [14] Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

JBnTX likes this.
  4. JBnTX

JBnTX

When I gave my life to Jesus Christ, I was changed. Not immediately, but it did happen.
    Later I realized how fortunate I really am, and that God is responsible for all the blessings in my life.

But most importantly, I realized that this life doesn't matter and I need not be concerned with it.
    It's the life that's to come that matters most.

Just as Paul said in 2 Corinthians 4:16.
    "For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day."

I've given up on my outward man. He'll soon end up as food for worms.
    It's my inward man that I focus on today.

Jesus and the Holy Spirit are looking out for my inward man.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    72Cheyenne likes this.
  5. DonCT

DonCT

So when exactly do you expect to start acting Christlike?

steveksux likes this.
  6. JBnTX

JBnTX

The Holy Spirit can work miracles in a person's life.

7. neon

neon

I have always wondered about that. I can't remember when the Holy Spirit was not with me. I had plenty of troubles in my life but praying to God has always been a comfort. I started reading the Bible when I was about 13 years old. My mother didn't go to church but was as a believer. She told me one time her father told her God promised him that his children and his Grandchildren would be saved. I started to go to church on my own at about 14 or 15 years old. Sometimes my brother would go with me, I always walked. After he went to the University he became a Catholic convert.

My mother always believed you didn't have to go to church, but that you should read the Bible. She was never Baptized, by brother was able to baptize her but she never did. I couldn't understand why she didn't do it. She did take my brother and I to be baptized when we were little to the Methodist church. I was later baptized with my husband and son at the Assembly of God church. Later we joined the First Baptist Church and that has been our home church for the last 12 years. I believe she went to heaven because of her example to her children in this life. I know I will see her in heaven.

Molly:)

+++
    Deuteronomy 28:49and50:eagle:
    The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation Whose tongue thou shalt not understand a nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor shew favor to the young.

8. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I've always thought that "...to have the Holy Spirit" was speaking in tongues while losing control of your body.

9. JBnTX

JBnTX

Your mother was right, you don't have to go to church to be saved.

She was also right about not being baptized. If the blood of bulls and goats could not wash away man's sin, then how would baptism by water do it?

Only the blood of Jesus Christ can wash away sin.

Sounds like your mother was a true Bible believing Christian.

10. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

11. neon

neon

Yes she was. Her father could quote the Bible because he had a Photographic memory. You could ask him about a scripture and he could tell you where it was.
    He died before I was born. My grandmother always had the Bible on her lap and was reading it when I went to visit. She was also a good example of what a grandma should be like. I try to do the same with my grandchildren.

Molly:)

+++
    Luke 6:38
    Do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the suffering of Christ...

12. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I felt the spirit come into me at a very bad time in my life when I had a need for help. I was rewarded many times over.

JBnTX likes this.
  13. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

For many years there has been confusion over this point. The confusion is over the gifts of the Spirit rather than the gift of the Spirit. Subtle counterfeit.

1 Corinthians 14:33 KJV
    [33] For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Having the fruits of the Spirit is much more important than any other "sign".

Galatians 5:22-24 KJV
    [22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. [24] And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

14. Vic Hays

Vic Hays

When there is no support from the world there is the presence of God to hold me up and encourage me. I have had marvelous answers to prayer at such times when everything looked so bleak with no obvious solution. God was able to answer my prayers in such unexpected ways and in ways better than I had asked for. I praise Him for His love for me.

JBnTX likes this.
  15. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

This speaks to me. Walking in the woods is as close as I get to church. No doubt we see it different ways, but I definitely feel a connection there.

16. JBnTX

JBnTX

You're probably closer to God walking in the woods, than you are in most of today's Christian churches.

Diesel_Bomber likes this.
  17. Biggy1

Biggy1

The moment you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior (John 3:16) you become born again of God's spirit, and have God's gift living in you, the holy spirit, which is Christ in you the hope of glory. You are now a son of God and are in God' family and are part of the body (church) of Christ. Since the day of Pentecost we are saved by God's grace. Once we are born again we work to renew our minds to God's Word (The Bible) and live accordingly and have fellowship with our heavenly father.

JBnTX likes this.
  18. JBnTX

JBnTX

AMEN, great post....:goodpost:
    We need more Christians on this forum.

19. FireInCairo

FireInCairo

While this happens, and even happens in many apostate churches, it is certainly not God's way. The Old Testament warns not to worship God in the way that pagans do.

Fleshly stimulation only engages and indulges the demonic. This is why Jesus said, "The flesh profits nothing."

This is why Paul said, "We walk by faith, not by sight." The implication is we don't go by our natural senses.

The Holy Spirit is likened to a dove for a reason. Doves are gentle. All the flailing, rolling around, shaking like quakers, is apostate and demonic.

So let's not confuse Biblical Christianity with what's going on in numerous movements right now. The church has "fallen away" from the truth.