What does it mean to run the BCG wet?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by rlewpolar, Dec 8, 2019.

1. rlewpolar

rlewpolar

Am I overdoing it by just covering the entire bolt carrier group of my AR-15 with Ballistol and calling it good? Or should I adhere to my owners manual and follow their recommendation on lube points for the bolt and carrier? By doing it this way, the BCG on the whole seems a lot drier. Any opinions? I’ve always been very liberal with the lube on the commonly held belief that ARs should be run wet but I’m starting to question it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dla and Bradley T like this.
  2. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

I usually try to get some good thicker type grease on the bolt nubbie hole in the receiver. Bolt cam hole I think it's called. Maybe a bit of grease around the cam there at the bolt. Otherwise I just put some oil around the bolt and get it good and oily/wet and slide it in the receiver. Seems to work. I don't shoot mine as much as some guys, just few shots at the range and hunting, so I don't worry about the oil and grease holding dirt.

Bradley T likes this.

3. Bradley T

Bradley T

Yes, I also apply Lubriplate 130 A to the bolt cam pin and the slot it rides in. I just wet the carrier with a light coat of LSA and go with it. Liberal application of Ballistol to the carrier probably works great too. I run a patch with LSA up in the carrier's front to coat the walls back in there where the rings make contact, then smear a coat on the rings with gaps situated 120 degrees around the circumference from each other.
    I actually like cleaning my rifle, but wouldn't do well having to get it done quick like soldiers have to do.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  4. pgg00

pgg00

I just put some clp on and wipe it around with my fingers. Enough so just a thin film is visible

jimcorbin, CBennett, Toby196 and 6 others like this.
  5. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

With ARs, I spray entire BCG with a product called Eezox, let it dry and then let it rip. Extremely awesome stuff! You can clean the BCG with a simple rag each time. For AK bolts I use Slip2000. For handguns, or tight tolerance stuff, Gunbutter. Buffer springs/pistol spring, Hoppes Dry lube.

I'm probably OCD but here's the lineup for cleaners and Lube

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    apmcdaniel and dla like this.
  6. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

7. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

Too much lube equals big mess with crap ammo.
    :crying:

Toby196, cheygriz and pjanthony like this.
  8. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Follow the builders recommendations. They should look something like this.
    33226.JPG 33227.JPG 33228.JPG 33229.JPG
    When running hard, I'll open the dust cover, put 2 drops motor oil, then open the breech and put 2 more. It maay be overkill, but that is for very hot and heavy use and seems to avoid stoppage.
    For normal range and use, the above is just fine.

9. Blanton

Blanton

The issue I have with "proof" films like this is lack of conditions. They talk about the myth of accumulating dirt and sand yet the over lubed guns never went in holsters, got slung over their backs while trekking through the desert or doing a slow crawl over land or otherwise exposed to ANY dirt or sand

PeterG, wct097, Toby196 and 1 other person like this.
  10. dla

dla

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. I think too many mall ninjas think they have to follow military guidelines, even though they hardly ever take the rifle out from under their bed in their apartment in the city.
    Since few are storming Falluja anymore, I think a person is better off wiping things down such that only a thin film is left behind - the only exception being the piston rings where a drop or two of oil is welcome. Your spray is perfect.

Maybe there is some mall-ninja fantasy where that would be inadequate lubrication.

IMHO of course.

Toby196 and rock_castle like this.
  11. dla

dla

Really stupid video. Incredibly stupid. Especially stupid was the final quote "just like you wouldnt run your car wighout oil, you damn sure shouldn't be running your weapon without oil".
    Are you in agreement with that conclusion, or are you smarter than that incredibly stupid video?

cheygriz and Joshhtn like this.
  12. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

I agree that I would not run my vehicles without oil, nor would I run any of my weapons without oil. Do you operate your vehicles without oil? Are your weapons run dry?

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The Army like to use big pump spray bottles of Breakfree and just spray down everything inside the receiver until it runs out. I don't agree with it, but it's a way.

I wipe off all of the oil and whatever is left is good enough. Mine works just as well as the wet ones. At most, I take the bolt out of the carrier and lube the outside of the bolt and the cam pin with oil on my fingers.

Toby196 and rlewpolar like this.
  14. rogn

rogn real dogs

There was a rather sharp witted and tongued gentleman on 24 hour campfire who taught some serious AR15 based courses. He was a champion of the "wetbcg" and when one of his hapless students had equiptment failure was to deride them about poor maintainence and let them know they could slosh the weapon in "Vagisill" and proceed to prove his point. Now theres probably a place where dry is better up to a point and places where we is the answer.
    If your wet and a mess you can wipe it off, but if your dry and stuck you may have a real problem .
    He unfortunately has since died, he had a lot of hands on experience.

15. garya1961

garya1961

I just put a light film of Mobil-1 on all moving parts. If I was in Iraq or somewhere I would probably be more particular.

Joshhtn likes this.
  16. cciman

cciman

That's what she said.

Colt, and the US military, needed excuses for why their newly fielded M16 infantry rifles had frequent failures in the Vietnam battlefields. Someone forgot to test the ammo provided to the soldiers, and someone forgot that chrome lining, and other anticorrosion methods were needed in that environment. But they instead created the dogma/mantra that ARs need to run CLEAN, and WET-- which still repeated like dogsh*t on a shoe, to this day.

If you have a AR made within the past 20 years, and not in the "sand box", oiling the contact points is enough for range work. Then again, nothing is iron-clad, and no guarantees in life-- your gun is not like mine. In bed, if you start having failures- take out the BCG, and lube it.

dla likes this.
  17. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Same here. I apply a small amount of Break Free CLP on the bolt, inside the carrier (where bolt resides), on the cam pin, and on the exterior of the carrier and spread it around with my fingers. This gives me a good film of lube over those surfaces. I have done it this way for many years. It was the same thing we did in the Marine Corps in the late 1970s with LSA. This method has worked for me for over 40 years.

Toby196, Joshhtn, pgg00 and 2 others like this.
  18. dla

dla

Cars and weapons have different needs because they have different friction reduction approaches. Apples to Oranges.

Yes, I can and do run weapons dry when in severe cold and want the gun to function first couple shots. But "dry" doesn't mean no lubricant.

19. AndyK

AndyK

I pretty much do the same for all my guns, wet with EEZOX. It's thin compared to say motor oil but it seems to work well in all temps. I shoot steel Challange and sometimes on 100 deg days, I can tell the AR 9 is slowing down some. I give it another spray and its good the rest of the day. I've not seen that with my AR15s as they have Nicole boron coated BCGs. Makes them a bit slicker.

20. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

So we were at the Eden, VT shoot and one of the 16s stopped running. My friend and mentor handed me the BCG and asked me to clean and lube it. So I did, pretty much per the manual. Handed it to him and heard "that's not lubed". So he told me to hold it, then poured about a quart of motor oil on it (and me). Kinda like what those Vickers guys demo, only messier. Put it in the upper, and said "thanks".

Oh yeah, it ran after that. Even with crappy Russian steel that the internet just knows will destroy a non-Combloc firearm. Completely.

Mess? Yeah.