close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you wear?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fireglock, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

What items do you wear when shooting a match? Do you remove your rings, your watch? Do you use a grip enhancer such as dry grip? Do you have any special aids or routines you use? Do you clean your glasses before the match with something special such as a defogger? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I start off with my Champion 100% cotton underware, Glock Black of course, and add clothes as needed.;f

I do keep eyeglass cleaning patches in my shooting bag.

I'm working on a rather lengthy match preparation checklist for Bobby's Tips column.

3. lowandleft

lowandleft

Wedding ring on, watch off (the ring is a condition for me attending alone !) I use pro grip and I find it to be great stuff, just don't put too much on or at the last minute. If your mags or ammo get coated with it you'll start having problems.

I rarely remember to clean my glasses and frankly don't think it matters much. The big thing I've started doing this year is wearing the woven shirts that wick away moisture. You can pick them up at EMS and sports authority and they keep you dry no matter how hot it gets.

I also always keep a short list of 3 or 4 things that I want to focs on that I go over before the match and occasionally during. For the last GSSF it was stuff like remembering to aim a little higher and close my left eye before the buzzer. (let's not turn this into a thread on eye dominance). And last and most important, for GSSF, when you are handing in your sheets if the RO says they are ready for you right away, don't rush to get loaded and to the line. Take a few minutes to make sure you are composed and relaxed from the long drive before you start shooting.

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Comfortable shorts or pants with lots of pockets depending on weather. My Uniform shirt and hat. I dont take my watch off and I dont wear rings. Shoes that are comfortable to stnad a long time in and provide good grip.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I clean my glasses thoroughly before. I have not in the past but I am going to start using some antifogging solution on both my glasses and lenses of my Red Dot because the last match I had fogging problems.

I wear shorts with plenty of pockets and my Sidearmor hat & Shirt and comfortable sneakers. Of course in colder weather I have to go to Jeans instead of shorts and usually a sweat shirt under my Team shirt. I try to go with as light a weight as possible using layers.

I wedding ring and watch has stayed on but I take my Senior NCO Academy ring off my right hand because it is fairly large and interfears with my grip. I have the Sand Paper style Decal grip on both Glocks but don't use anything else.

Sometimes in the past I have "Talked to Myself" alot but I usually never listened as indicated by my scores. ;f ;f ;f

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

YOU HAVE WAAAAAAYYYYY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!;f

7. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

NOTHING, NOTHING at all ;f;f now I know that's scarry as hell.

Wedding ring yes, Clean glasses yes, load mags the night before ? clean all my guns, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, get yell'ed at by my wife ;G whoop the boys butts for acting up and running around, OH yah the most important thing I do is eat a good breakfast so when you wait 2+ hours at the Glock to 5 your not hungry like the other guy.

8. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

I put on clean underware in case in involved in an accident!!!;P

9. Fireglock

I've seen you shoot, the clean shorts is a good idea. :)

10. Fireglock

Wellll maybe I do! ;f Remember I don't have one of those 8 to 5 jobs anymore, thank the Lord. :)

11. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I know I darn sure don't either, its 24/7/365 ;+ ;+ ;+ ;? ;? ;?

12. GlockMom

GlockMom

Well.....I GUESS I yell at my husband, but I'd say that is more of a daily routine than a match routine.;Q I do wear rings, a watch and some fashionable new IPSC target earrings (a reward for doing well at Waldorf);a I get some advice from a known source of wisdom (not my husband;f )then pace around the range talking to myself repeating the nuggets of knowledge and go have fun.;K

13. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Before a match, I do the following:
    1. I don't wear my wedding ring. (allergic to gold)
    2. I usually wear a stainless steel watch
    3. I wear comfortable shorts and a loose fitting shirt. If it's cold, I wear a warm jacket. It's important to keep your shoulder and arm muscles warm to avoid them from getting stiff. (Note: This could effect ONLY those of the mid-century age)
    4. I wear shoes that will allow me a firm and comfortable stance.
    5. I chamber check all of my ammo before the match.
    6. I carry 8 magazines with me. I load my magazines, 3-4 for each gun, Stock and U/L, before each match.
    7. I wear a cap to shade the sun from my eyes and to deflect any wild flying brass.
    8. I use Visine to wash my eyes. It improves my vision.
    9. I clean my glasses with a fogproof cleaner
    10. I fill out a blank sheet of paper in my scoring book so that when I shoot, I already have a place to record my times and penalties, if any.
    11. I try to walk at least 3 miles before a match to loosen up and to excercise my lungs so that I won't be shortwinded during the match.

Well, that's about all I think of.

14. MFinch

MFinch Guest

Pretty much like everyone else mentioned with a few more personal things:

* Sunscreen
    * I don't wear a watch when shooting
    * Layer clothes in cooler weather allowing you to add/delete if necessary.
    * When driving, I bring along my waterproof hunting boots just in case (remember San Antonio a couple of years ago?). I'll also throw in a poncho or something waterproof.
    * I sometimes wear sideshields on my glasses depending on side distractions.
    * I like a hat with a dark brim underneath rather than white
    * Eyeglass tinting depending on the available light.
    * I generally install new batteries in the unlimited gun.
    * Clean and check ammo
    * Load mags the night before
    * Careful about what I eat the night and morning before
    * No more than 2 aming fluids the night before
    * Fluids and snacks (low sugar) during the match
    * Allow plenty of time as to not be rushed and bring along some patience.

15. Fireglock

Good info, but guys, why don't you check your ammo before you leave home?

Comfortable shorts with cargo pockets and my Sidearmor shirt.
    My Carver Mounts hat. :)
    Confortable cross trainer shoes.
    I have been wearing my wedding ring and watch, both are titanium but I'm going to stop wearing them, less confining you know.
    If it's cool I'll wear a windbreaker jacket but I'll take it off just before I shoot, I'd rather be a mite cool than encumbered by the jacket.
    I take a poncho on the trip even if I don't expect rain.
    I check my ammo but I do it at home. :) I typically bring 600 rounds to the match.

I'll check the guns one more time the night before after dinner, load the mags and relax. I've given up social beverages until the night after I shoot but enjoy our Team Sidearmor Friday night dinners. ;f

Additionally I carry a small clipboard with calculator in my bag that I put one of Scottberts score sheets on. I preprint it with match and catagories so everything is set when I get to the match. I carry my cell phone but I put it on vibrate since I have a couple of friends that have a sinister sense of humor. ;Q

16. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

since i just so happened to have them in the car, and the mud was 2 feet deep - the last couple of gssf matches that i have been to i have been wearing the latest in footwear - size 12 steel toe rubber boots - you know - the kind you used to wear shoveling out the horse barn

(also - in case of rain - the stearns parka is in the car - luckily i havent had to use it yet)

if it is brite out i have some DARK tinted wilson safety glasses.... my eyes really hurt too much in brite sun

i usually try to remember to throw away my contacts and put new ones in the morning of the match.... i feel pretty good getting 5 and a half weeks on my 14 day disposables......

i need to remember to bring sunscreen, but i always forget

17. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

SIDEARMOR shirt and whatever the weather permits for pants, Carver Mounts hat, my watch, glasses approprate for the weather(sunny or cloudy)and most important.......A Relaxed, Happy Attitude!!!
    Dan:cool:

18. Fireglock

Yeah right! ;Q Well maybe most of the time. :)

19. 40blaster

40blaster

I try to wear the same that I practice in. A drop of Patanol in each eye for clearity, Claranex for snotty nose and bug spray as needed. I put a light touch of Mobil 1, on the top two rounds in each mag, spray site black on the sights and Pro Grip on hands and hang a Sharpie around my neck to remind me to check scores and a card to write scores on.

20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Guess that is what I need to change. I normally toss a few boxes of ammo into my car bag and grab my carry gun and hit the road. When I get to match I unload at the gate and stick Glock into fanny pack with mags in middle pouch and dump a value pack into front. Then load mags as I wait my turn. I start out with a 11rd mag to avoid (load/remove mag/top off/insert in gun) I lay out my other 10 rd mags AND off to Right a second hi cap incase I ever empty the gun. (I have seen folks do it on the plates that they fire every rd) I have ear plugs in and I ask any questions/comments I think of. I make sure I get CLEAR permission to get out my gun. I place the fanny pack on table (with gun inside pointing downrange) and THEN remove it. Otherwise your draw the gun is almost pointed at guy who resets plates knee.