What do you use for a steak marinade?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by lucasbm, Apr 1, 2004.

1. lucasbm

lucasbm

I have always used Italian dressing, worcestershire sauce, and/or dales for my steak marinade. While they have all came out good, this weekend I want to try something different that will be quite possibly the best steak I have ever grilled. What is your suggestions?

Let the posting begin!

2. Garweh

Garweh CLM

The best steak that you have ever had should not depend on the marinade, it should be all about the steak! PRIME beef is expensive, but worth it. Prime beef has great flavor and is tender (this is what marinades bring to the steak). My suggestion; go to a butcher shop and get a prime porterhouse cut 2-3 inches thick. Season with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Grill over direct high heat for ~ 4 minutes per side to sear, then grill over medium indirect heat for 20 to 30 minutes more (for rare, depending on the thickness) turning once. Let rest for 10 minutes lightly covered with foil. Slice and serve. Enjoy!

3. noway

noway

{The best steak that you have ever had should not depend on the marinade, it should be all about the steak!}

true true true

I' don't marinade my steaks that goes on the grill. Just a little bit of garlic salt and all-spice and maybe a rub on walnut oil w/ garlic * onions and that's all she gets. The meat and slection of meat is what makes a steak a STEAK! The fire and choice or wood or charcoal also add the "outdoors" cook taste.

4. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Not sure about steaks-I like them without marinade. But my business partner makes a marinade that's really good on chicken and wild game. He's had so many requests, that he just started packaging it and selling it.

Blatant advertisment below...

http://www.hunterschoicemarinade.com/shop/enter.html

5. noway

noway

Cool label almost everything listed is what I use for wild game minus the soy. The sesame seed oil goes a looong way with giving fowl a good taste and cutting the wild flavor.

6. Phil306

Phil306

Stubbs Beef Marinade. Overnight if possible :)

;c ;c ;c

7. nickg

nickg

olive oil
    worcestshire sauce
    soy sauce
    optional -- sometimes a little red wine
    and then all of my spices

and then sometimes i just like my steaks naked -- no marinade, just salt and pepper!!!

8. W Turner

W Turner

Here is my version....

1tsp. of dale's sauce per side
    1 lemon cut in half
    black pepper
    minced garlic
    Sugar

I normally prepare two steaks at a time using this method:
    -drizzle the juice of one lemon half on one side of both steaks, spreading it evenly
    -spread one teaspoon of the dales on each steak
    -spread a little less than a teaspoon of minced garlic on each one and grind black pepper to taste over them

Flip and repeat

-when finished with both sides, take a pinch of sugar (brown or white) and sprinkle it VERY lightly on one side of each steak

When you put them on the grill, lay the sugar side down first. This will caramelize the sugar and really enhance that "grill" taste. The lemon juice will eat at the connective tissue that holds the muscle fiber together and make it more tender.

Ialways start the steaks marinating right before I start the fire. If you let them marinate too long the high acidity of the lemon juice will turn the steaks a sickly gray color.

Bull

9. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

10. chrismartin

chrismartin

speedie sauce! hhhmmmm!!! Marinade for 24 hours and grill. Best stuff ever!

11. okie

okie GT Mayor

Liquid Mesquiet(sp):cool:

12. CaptDoug04

CaptDoug04 PM 2005

Worcestershire sauce

13. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Rub a Montreal type seasoning into the meat and refridgerate for a few hours...
    Grill... As soon as you take it/them off the grill, rub some minced garlic onto the surfaces and put the steaks aside, covered, to rest... The "fresh" garlic mixed with the steak juices is incredible...

I did "Boneless Beef Rib" thingys tonight. Not "Rib steaks"...
    Incredibly tender, juicy and flavorful...

;c

14. lucasbm

lucasbm

WOW, thats for all the feedback.

15. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Hmmm, sometimes I go very simple: take beef out of fridge and let rest for 30 to 45 mins to bring up to room temp. While resting, liberally sprinkle both sides with kosher salt, then grill

Fancier: take a zip lock bag (assuming 1 lb of steak) put in about 0.25 cup of Teriyaki sauce, couple of splashes of worchestershire sauce, 2 - 3 tbsp of Montreal Steak Seasoning (R), 1 - 2 tsp of lemon pepper. Gently agitate closed ziplock bag to mix well. Use a fork or a meat tenderizer to to "ventilate" the steak, then place in zip lock. Agitate again to make sure meat is well covered. Place in firdge for 1 - 2 hours ad turn and agitate bag at least once. Remove from fridge, let come up to room temp for 30 - 45 mins then grill.

16. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I was gonna respond that way at first... My wife is from Argentina and ya know they're famous
    for their beef and their barbeques... (Asados)...

They use salt, then they toss it on the grill!

Cuts that are good on the grill of course...
    Then they use lemon, or/and the condiment "chimichurri" at the table.

;c

17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

olive oil-lemon juice-soy sauce.

put it in a bag in the refrigerator let sit at least one day.

One of the benefits of marinating is that the bad stuff (for you)

doesn't happen when you grill it.

18. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

If I have to work with a cheap steak, I go cheap all the way! Put it in a loaf pan or something similar and pour a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon on it! Maybe slice up an onion in there, too if you want to ba fancy. Start the coals. By the time the caols are ready, the steak should be too!

19. KrisLady

KrisLady

So how was your steak last weekend? I've been away for a while and just saw this Food Forum, so I'm trying to jump back in. Where better to jump in that at steak? ;)

How you'd cook a steak depends on the cut, obviously.

My all-time favorite: Rib steaks, rub both sides with a bit of canola oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground (course-grind is best) pepper (I use a pepper mix -- different peppers, garlic), then let "rest" about an hour, until the meat comes up to room temp. Throw on a HOT grill for maybe 2-3 minutes per side (I like to turn them over again for another minute or so to get the little "X" marks from the grill -- presentation is everything!) then let them rest again for about 10 minutes -- not long enough to get cold, though. ;3

If you have your little heart set on marinating, though, I would use something like a sirloin, which is a little tougher, but has a much stronger flavor. Try marinating overnight in an Argentinian malbec wine, some minced garlic, and little salt & pepper. The acidity in the wine will tenderize the meat, and sirloin has a strong enough flavor to not be overpowered by the malbec. I like to marinate chunks of sirloin, then skewer them to cook them. Of course, the advantage here is that you have an opened bottle of malbec now, and it's great with steak! ;f

Kris

20. gunsite

gunsite CLM

boneless sirloin, coated with olive oil, some salt, pepper, herbs, cut up some garlic, put it into a vacum bag, let it sit over night, cook it in a frying pan, just before being done put some basalmic vinegar, cooked med rare, take the steak out from the pan, keep the fire high add some water to the pan and butter and reduce to a liquid scrapping the side and bottom of the pan and mix well. now you have a steak and some sauce...thats some good chow ^c