close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

What do you think of this business practice ?

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by MarkTX, Nov 1, 2003.

1. MarkTX

MarkTX

So you place an order on the internet and quickly get a confirmation of the order via email along with the great news that they're out of stock on that item. It'll just be a few weeks until the product ships.

Then a month later you still don't have the product, but you notice on your credit card statement that indeed they charged your account the day you placed the order !

Then the business seems to really get its feeling hurt when you suggest this wonderful practice of billing even when out of stock -is well sorta unkind and even *gosh* unpleasing. They even act shocked that you would be unhappy about it -what an uncultured bafoon you must be. After all, you can't expect a small business to have an inventory to fill internet sales promptly. And you certainly should not expect them to be able to delay the billing on web orders -that requires a mega-buck website setup.

So let me hear your opinions on this...

2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

You didn't read the Botach thread? You actually ordered from them? I feel for you.

3. MarkTX

MarkTX

Nope not Botach. This business has an ad right here on Glocktalk. They finally gave me a tracking number (now a month after billing), but the notion that I somehow got unreasonable about this is very eye opening.

I can understand a small business running a tight inventory, but if they can't ship within a week of all credit card charges then they should NOT take web orders. They got real helpful when I said I would turn this over to Visa, but they didn't offer to pay the stolen interest charges from this last month.

Silly me, for even thinking this was out of line...

4. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf SHEEP DOG

larry_minn
    L<OL thats exactly what I was thinking when I read his post.

I hope the incident is an isolated one AND you let us know who it was so we can determine whether or not we shall us them in the future. ( of course, if you feel you were truly wronged by the company)

later

Grey Wolf

5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I'd also like to know who it was.

6. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Tell us who it is. The "business" is full of it too.

7. MarkTX

MarkTX

I'll just tell you what I ordered, and let you figure it out...

CGR Race Cut Heinie SlantPro Tritium Sights

Frankly I still want the sights, and when I do finally get them I'm sure I'll be happy to praise the product. But I won't praise this business practice because it needs to be corrected not excused.
    Also, I have a special perspective on this matter. In that, I run a small part-time mail order business myself. I have avoided the whole internet order setup primarily because of this issue (I often have 2-3 week delays on shipping). I do take phone-in credit card orders, but I NEVER bill the card unless I know I'll ship with 24 hours. I KNOW every single customer would be unhappy with any other practice on this point.

If you really want the full details just drop me a note at: glock23_070161@yahoo.com and I'll send you the email account of the whole episode... Then you can judge whether my position was out of line.

8. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

Another member had problems with shipping a gun to them. Nobody to accept it and he had to reship or something. I've emailed them in the past and gotten no respoonse. I emailed recently and got a reply though. alot of folks have used them and been happy but I wouldn't. Especially after hearing they gave you attitude about charging your card when they don't have the product and didn't let you know up front.

9. good2bNavy

good2bNavy

They notified you that they could not ship the item. That action satisfies the FTC Mail-and-telephone rule requiring retailers to let customers know when they cannot ship a product or that there will be a delay in the shipment.
    About all you can do is call, cancel the order, and get a refund. If they will not cancel your order and issue a refund, contact the credit card company who issued you card.

10. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I've only ordered one item from CGR, and I didn't have any problems, it was a smooth transaction all the way around.

I do think he should have waited until the item shipped to charge your card.

11. MarkTX

MarkTX

Quite true. Course the notice said "about 2 weeks", but actually was closer to 4. The bigger issue is whether this an acceptable practice, clearly I don't think so. And this customer is always right... lol

12. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I believe it is reasonable to expect that your CC is not charged until your item is shipped.

All the gun-related mail-order companies with whom I do business operate as above (e.g., Lightfighter, LPS Tactical) ... I would not hesitate to complain if it were otherwise. In some instances, the wait has been significant (e.g. 5 months for an Eagle Industries backpack) and I'd hate to be charged on day one for something I'm not getting for a few months!

Justin

13. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I do not charge until the product is ready to ship UNLESS a prior agreement was made with the buyer. Most of my special orders can be filled in two to five working days.The down side is I get stuck with special orders.Any body want a set of red and blue LED lights or a case of Ranger 380 T Series ammo?

14. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Not only reasonable, it is my understanding that is the law.

15. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

I don't think it's law, but I never charge a CC until the product is ready on the shipping counter.

Ok, never say never. I've had some guys call me at the end of the year and had me post their CC for future orders. Gotta love those guys that have too much money to spend that they can't get rid of it fast enough... ;f

16. Taipei Personality

Taipei Personality

I don't believe it's the law, either, but I am pretty sure it's part of the merchant agreement with most, if not all, of the major credit card companies.

17. dwt

dwt

Looks like I'm in the same boat.
    Ordered 10-3-03, CC charged 10-3-03,now it is 11-8-03 and still no parts.

18. bobh

bobh

There is no law which prevents charging a card at the time of shipping only. It is an area which has not really been looked at since the recent advent of internet style web stores and shopping carts. The only real legal requirement is a federal rule that a customer has to be notified within 30 days if an item is not currently available or will be further delayed. The customer then has the option of cancelling the order.

Most shopping cart software used by small businesses interface with the web site and the credit card provider in an interactive mode. Ergo, the web site sends a message to the shopping cart which totals up the order. A message is then sent securely to the credit card provider and the card is run by the provider. This method is totally "hands off" for the small business owner, requires no human intervention or support and everything works great if items are in stock and shipped in a reasonable amount of time. The problem occurs when an "out of stock" condition occurs such as the above with CGR. Customers gets pissed off because he has paid for something which has not been delivered. Is he right to complain? I dunno, depends upon circumstances and delivery expectations around the order. Is it a hard to get Trijicon ACOG or something readily available?

The solution is readily available and involves putting the shopping cart in an "offline" mode. The cart does not then interface with the credit card provider. It sends a message to the admin of the web site and credit cards are then run as needed by an employee of the store. This method requires more human intervention, but the card charge itself is timely. Does every shopping cart have an off line mode? The better ones do. Does MR CGR want to do the extra work? I don't know, but many small businesses have went this route to prevent customer dis-satisfaction.

19. DDGator

DDGator

I ordered a set of N-frame grips direct from Smith & Wesson. They charged my card, then I got a postcard a week later saying the item was backordered. Took about 6 weeks to arrive.

They have no excuse that they are too small...

20. Belialson

Belialson Guest

Looking at it from a consumer point of veiw you shouldn't get charged for it until item in stock ready to ship. I would never do charge before the product is ready just because I think as a dealer you need to please the consumer within reason. I once had a auction issue similar with winning a item that wasn't even ordered as far as I was told until my funds hit their account. I told them I could order the stuff from anyone and wasn't interested if they didn't have the item they auctioned. Its a bad practice IMHO....