What do you think of the S&W Shield

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mugsie1, Feb 16, 2020.

1. AJShooter9

AJShooter9

I'm actually contemplating selling my p365 for a 2.0. Had one and it was an awesome gun. As compared to the 43x I think it's a tie depending on personal preference. I've shot/owned both shield & 43x and would pick the 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

2. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Gen 1 Shields are a massive value. $250 dollars will get you an accurate, dead nuts reliable, comfortable shooting micro pistol. Tough to beat that.

Smith46wesson, n2g, B C and 4 others like this.

3. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

When I went looking for something in the size of the Shield, my short list included the Shield, the XD-S, and the G43 I bought the Shield and have never regretted the decision. I've had it (Shield 1.0 in 9mm) for about 2.5 years. It replaced my G19 for EDC very quickly. It's been completely reliable so far, capable of better accuracy than I'm capable of wringing out of it, and the finish has held up better than my ~2013 G19. IMHO, it's just a fantastic gun, especially at the price point where they're at right now.

n2g likes this.
  4. IllinoisGun

IllinoisGun

I guess S&W pistols are of decent respectable quality, but the ridiculous white warning slogan emblazoned on the gun is a deal breaker for this Baby Boomer.

5. Terry G

Terry G

A very good gun. If your going small definitely give this a look. I will say the Taurus G2 is even cheaper and fills the same role. The S&W trigger is better. I like the Hellcat most of all, but why pay twice as much for a gun that's going to be carried a lot but not shot as much as a range toy?

6. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

My shields are being shot or in a holster.. the warning stuff has not really bothered me at all. In fact i forgot it has any..

A 1911 is beautiful.. and extra writing would bug me.. a sig 220 is beautiful.. no writing on it either..

7. Bradd D

Bradd D

I had a 9mm Shield for a while. I liked it well enough, but I prefer a frame I can get three fingers on and I didn't care for the sleeve on the Shield magazine. I also found the slide stop to be too difficult to use to release the slide which is the method I prefer.

This unusual wear always perplexed me, too. It's not typical wear for that area. It is actually rough. This isn't my picture, but my gun looked the same.

DSCN0139.jpg

I have a 43X now and I like it a lot.

8. edellson

edellson

If size and weight works for you, you wont be disappointed. Every year recently they offer $50 rebates bringing them sub $200. Might as well get the 45 and 9mm.

rock_castle likes this.
  9. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA Life member

When I went looking for a subcompact EDC I checked out the Shield, P365, G43, Kahr and others. After test firing I chose the Shield and have not regretted my choice for a second. As I understand it S&W has sold over 3 million of these little jewels. There's a good reason for that.

n2g likes this.
  10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I just got a Alien gear IWB holster. I love it. I really enjoy carrying my Shield now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Big1 likes this.
  11. gwes351

gwes351

In looking for a small carry pistol I looked hard at (tried or bought):
    - walther PPS M2 LE (which I have but am selling)
    - son's shield (didn't feel right in my hand, and with arthritis a bit hard to rack) - passed on it
    - G43 which I like and shoot well, but limited capacity - bought it
    - sig P365 - which is now my small carry gun (for me, better in virtually every regard vs. the 3 above).
    I personally have no interest in the hellcat - but that's just me.

Whittsailor and yep380 like this.
  12. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Ironically, the Aliengear holster is what killed me EDCing my Shield off duty. With that holster I can easily conceal my G19, 29, or 45. Made the micro pistol mostly unnecessary. The only time I carry my shield now is when I’m on my boat or headed out to do something that requires board shorts. Any other dress, including regular shorts and T shirt I am generally carrying my 29 in my Aliengear. Really good holster

Glockdude1 likes this.
  13. Lagamor

Lagamor

A friend of mine hits 4” groups with his Shield 1.0.
    I’m a pretty good shot with it, but not that good.

14. camelsfly

camelsfly Previously Lloyd Elliott

Unless you have issues with your P365 that you have not been able to resolve don't get rid of it. You WILL regret it one day. That said, don't hesitate to pick up a Shield. I have the 45, it is light, thin, accurate and most surprising I find the recoil very tame ( recoil is subjective ) and it comes with a 6 and 7 round mag. When I CCW it I hardly notice I have 8 rounds of 230 grain goodness on me.

15. CBennett

CBennett

Good reliable gun...fits my hand the best out of all the small single stacks.

n2g and Glockdude1 like this.
  16. zaitcev

zaitcev

Interesting. I thought it was my .45 that did it. And yes, the wear area is rough, which is unusual. Unfortunately, I was unable to resolve the detail in picture. It's as if S&W did it on purpose.

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      x.jpg
      File size:
      191.7 KB
      Views:
  17. doktarZues

doktarZues

I own both.
    Shield 9 (gen1) - Had mine for several years. I have never been able to warm up to its grip. It just doesn't fit my hand (medium sized). It actually feels anti-ergonomic, like it's the winner of some dystopian trolling contest to develop a gun that's uncomfortable. The best way I can explain it would say it feels like I'm holding onto a brush handle. One of the most uncomfortable grips I've ever experienced, likely THE worst. What's crazy to me is how many people say it's comfortable?!

G43x - Grip is great. Unfortunately, it's just a smidge too big compared to the Shield for how I carry (pocket carry or smart holster).

Even with the strong negative words against the Shield, it's still my EDC. It has been extremely reliable and I have confidence in it. I just don't shoot it nearly as much because it's so uncomfortable for me so I will eventually replace it with something I DO enjoy holding and shooting, a P365.

18. Mahalo_.357sig

Mahalo_.357sig #787 Top Gun .357sig

Big fan of the shield .45 it is just a little bit larger than the 9 or 40 20190929_174833.jpg

camelsfly likes this.
  19. dbuck47

dbuck47

Gen 1 Shields are boring.

Boringly reliable, boringly accurate, boringly inexpensive. If you want to be “bored” get one! If there are minor details you’d like to change, the aftermarket support is pretty good.

I have never used or fired any of the 43 series pistols, so I can’t compare.

I still like the G26 just slightly more than the Shield because of the higher standard capacity and the flexibility to use any standard Glock mags. Carried IWB in kydex, the G26 might be just slightly more concealable; the shorter butt offsetting the slight extra thickness.

The Shield is a great gun, and the gen 1 an outstanding value, plus the option of a manual safety.

20. CBennett

CBennett

See this is why you have to test this yourself...my experiences were the exact OPPOSITE..Shield felt the best of all the small single stacks I tried(included in this was Glock 43,43X,and 48,Shield,Walther PPS,LC9&LC9s,Taurus slim,and XD) the top 3 grip/in hand feel wise were in order Shield,WaltherPPS,XD the worst were the Glocks because of their odd grip angle im assuming or something...dont know...That said the Glock single stacks were ALL acceptable for me as a CC gun...where as I cant do the Glock double stacks like the 19/23 etc etc as the grip is too fat and angle sucks...

Oh and all this said again I dont consider any of them true "pocket" guns the only gun I can really pocket carry COMFORTABLY and I just wear cargo pocket pants OR Wrangler loose fit jeans... and stuff like the Ruger LCP is about all I can pocket carry without it looking odd or feeling odd lol.