What do you think of the S&W Shield

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mugsie1, Feb 16, 2020.

1. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Have 9mm and 45acp.. flawless .. as in ZERO failures ever.. reliable and easy to shoot.

2. mist

mist

I have a Shield 9 2.0 LE. It has night sights, no thumb safety and comes with three magazines. I have carried AIWB and the rough textured grip does not irritate my bare skin in the least. Accuracy at self defense distances out to 15 yards is exceptional and recoil, albeit subjective, is manageable. Performance and function have been flawless. Although I prefer my P365 for its capacity and diversity of concealed carry methods (AIWB, pocket, ankle), the Shield is a formidable choice.

Intolerant and B C like this.

3. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Had a Shield 9 that I sold to a LEO friend because he liked it better than I did. I've had two Shield .45's and two Shield .40's. One .45 went to my youngest brother, the other had the safety and I just didn't like it, so it went toward something else. Another friend wanted one of my .40's, so I made him a deal. So that leaves me with my Shield PC .40 and the one that most likely will be around for a good long time. Except for the safety issue, I've never had a problem with any of them. These little guns are accurate and insanely reliable. If you're leaning toward the .40, I'd highly recommend the PC model. Ported, sporting fiber optic sights, and the PC's came with 3 mags, one 6 round and two 7 round. That tiny little gun shoots .40 like a 9mm, and 180gr Gold Dots are strong and dependable defense rounds. The one thing I do find annoying, are the sleeves they have on the 7 round mags. I found the Taran Tactical +2 bases fit perfectly and cure the sleeves sliding around, in addition to adding one more round in .40 (two in 9mm). Add a Talon Grip to the gun and the mag base, and you have an awesome carry gun that will not fail you.

4. 19sandyman

19sandyman

I replaced my G 19 for a 9 mm shield 2.0. I loved my 19, but what’s the best carry gun? It’s the gun you actually carry every day!

The shield is SO much easier to carry that I actually carry it regularly unlike my 19. In fact, the shield is so comfortable that sometimes forget I’m still carrying it when I get home.

5. Navy1964

Navy1964

Own it. Shoot it. Love it.

6. Intolerant

Intolerant

I own a bunch of them, i love them all. I EDC a Shield45 PC 4in barrel non-ported.

7. J_Rico

J_Rico

Might take a look at the gen 1 Shield. Cheaper and I am not a fan of the 2.0 grip texture.

Had a 2.0 Shield on my list until I bought a Compact 2.0. Sticking with gen 1.

ShipWreck likes this.
  8. Big1

Big1

Those are junk,lol, that's why I have all three of them, the .45, .40 and the 9mm, so yeah they are very junky.

camelsfly and ShipWreck like this.
  9. Intolerant

Intolerant

STOP IT! You know you love your Shields! ;)

camelsfly, ShipWreck and Big1 like this.
  10. #BirdDog

#BirdDog

Love my gen1 in 9mm. I put the Apex duty/carry kit in it, and a set of night sights. I’ve put about 2000 rounds through it and it’s very accurate at self defense distances. I carry it in a Crossbreed Super Tuck and it’s really comfortable. It’s been my EDC for a couple years now. Really happy with it!

11. Big1

Big1

Lol, yeah I do these are my deep concealment firearm, I love them, I didn't think that I would like the .40 S&W but I do.

12. bac1023

bac1023

I had a Shield 9. Not a bad gun, but I much prefer the G43.

13. yep380

yep380

At one point I owned a Shield and a G43.

I still own the G43.

The shield in .45 does interest me and I may buy one. Because .45.

At this point, guns in the Shield 9/40 size range mean one of two guns: P365 or Hellcat. I see no reason to consider anything else these days.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  14. Bradley T

Bradley T

I think the Shield is a fine handgun, but wouldn't trade a GLOCK for it.

yep380 likes this.
  15. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

If you search this topic, you will see multiple posts on this subject. In my opinion, the Shield is one of the most popular platforms S&W sells, and the folks who have posted adverse issues with them is very small. I posted over a year ago, the Shield is the platform Glock "should" have marketed back when the 42 was released...[they] lost a big % of market-share to Smith on their decision to delay the 43 by introducing the 42 first...but that is just one man's opinion.
    Personally my 3 yr old Shield 9mm is rock-steady, feeds and shoots everything, and with my CTC green laser, is deadly @ SD distances...and it is very easy to pack...just slip it inside my Remora and tuck into the waistband...very convenient.

n2g, camelsfly, byf43 and 1 other person like this.
  16. bowtie454

bowtie454

For full-size pistols, I'm a huge Glock fan. When I looked into getting a subcompact, I shot the Glock 43, Springfield XD, and the Shield. I was surprised how much more I liked the Shield over the others. I ended up with the S&W Shield, and I don't regret it. Accurate, easy to shoot, and extremely reliable. Blasphemy to be sure, but we all have our sins!

n2g and camelsfly like this.
  17. breacher1

breacher1

Walther PPS M2, built like a tank and very little recoil in 9mm

18. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

I have been carrying my 2.0 9m Shield for a couple weeks now
    Haven't touched one of my Glocks since. Shield2.0.JPG

19. morpheus171

morpheus171

I have a 1.0 9mm that I added Ameriglo sights, Talon grip, TLR-6, and Magguts spring kit to increase capacity. Have not messed with the trigger. It carries well in a Tulster holster. I will probably jump on a 2.0 as that has a better trigger and grip texture. If Smith brings back the rebates I am in on a 2.0. It is my primary summer time carry gun.

20. HardlyAble2

HardlyAble2

After many rounds down range ($$$) I've come to realize I just shoot Smiths faster and straighter the Glocks. Double stacks especially so. Try as I might I don't shoot the 48 as well as I do the Shield (4"). It's closer but no cigar. Smiths are just more comfortable for me in my current state of elderlyness. The oddity is my summer carry is a Glock 42. All my other Glocks are gone or in the g'kid stack. Mark me down as a Shield fan with an asterisk....fwiw