close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you think about this video card? (GeForce 7900GT 256MB)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by -gunut-, Feb 16, 2007.

1. -gunut-

-gunut-

Do you think this would run well in my machine?
    GeForce 7900GT 256MB
    [​IMG]

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150216

I have

-Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz)
    -2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
    -250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    -256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache
    -Windows® Vista™ Home Premium w/1GB memory

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

yes, it would run well in your machine (note that I am typing this from a system with a video card which has 8MB of memory - not sure about the other specs).

eta: it has ddr3; I'd think it should handle much of anything you throw at it. any plans to SLI?

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

how much RAM do you have?

4. Darkmage

Darkmage

Yes indeedy, it will do very well in your current system. You are essentially looking at a solid performer in one-generation-ago technology. The current generation stuff is still very expensive.

That card will run just about everything you can currently throw at it and it will do it well.

5. -gunut-

-gunut-

2 gig

6. -gunut-

-gunut-

Hey I don't mind at all! I will can alway upgrade when I need too and when the parts are cheaper.

7. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

I've got the X1900 GT, which comes in just a hair below your card in this very popular benchmark, and it runs even very GPU intensive games like Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander very smoothly at my 1900x1200 resolution, at high settings....

Seems like a fine choice at a very reasonable price. You COULD buy a better card, but you're paying a TON more for just a bit more performance in a few situations. You're buying 90+% of the performance of the very newest cards at 30% the price.

All you're missing is the bragging rights...

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

So Vista Scores your PC?... lol.

Interesting..

IGF

9. -gunut-

-gunut-

It is actually a very cool idea. In the future they will have a score on software and games so instead of having to look though the requirements you can just see if you computer has a high enough score to run the program.

10. CLee0507

CLee0507

Just my opinion...but if I were you I would buy a cheaper 7600 series card to save a few bucks to hold you over until DirectX 10 cards become cheaper and then purchase one of those to run the latest and greatest games. The 7600GT models are very fast too, and at +/- $50 cheaper.

11. -gunut-

-gunut-

What is wrong with this card?

12. Deanster

I think he's just suggesting that you buy a slightly cheaper card today, so that you can justify buying a super-nice card when the DX10 cards come out, rather than that there's something wrong with the card you're looking at.

13. CLee0507

CLee0507

Absolutely nothing.

I'm just stating that DirectX 10 will become mainstream in the near future. Therefore you will want/need a vid card that supports that technology because the new games will probably require it.

Exactly.

Also, the cards are out at $400+, just think how cheap they will be in 6 months.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nPrice=&MaxPrice=&PropertyCodeValue=686:25271

14. -gunut-

-gunut-

Oh i c. One problem I am facing is that I cannot fit the cards that are double wide like the ones you linked to. I only have room for the single layer one. (does that make sense?)

15. Philipp2

Philipp2

I didn't see where you spec'ed your motherboard, but I assume that it has PCI-E16 slot ?
    I updated my Dell Dimension with this: EVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - and it made a world of difference .

16. -gunut-

-gunut-

I am not sure what mine is. How much was that card?

17. Philipp2

Philipp2

Actually, after checking my Newegg history, I found that I bought the 256 version. Now the 512 is about the same as what I paid. Check out # N82E16814130061 at NewEgg for about $265
    I had just put a new computer for my grandson using the EVGA card with the 8800 processor and 630 MB memory. It really scored high on the 3DMark06 test. It requires a large powersupply to run as well > 700 Watts.
    I don't believe that NewEgg carries the exact card that I bought anymore.

18. -gunut-

-gunut-

It is really difficult to figure out what would be good and what wouldn't. That card look nice. Is it better then the one I am asking about?

I have also bee told to wait because the 8600 ultra is coming out next month and will be under $200.

What to do...

Edit. Ok guys. Basically what I want to know is what is the best card that I can get right now for under $300 that only takes up one slot? I do not have room for one that takes up two (like most 8800)

19. CLee0507

CLee0507

Any card with gddr3 and at least 256mb of ram will be great, if you only have one slot...get the one you selected at the beginning of this thread.

If you are buying from newegg, read the reviews of the cards you like. Sometimes it will let you know of any problems people have with that particular model and suggestions for "better deals" out there.

20. Deanster

Click the link I provided above - it does a great job of providing a guideline to relative performance between cards.

As always, there's more subtle differences you can spend a lot of time on - where a card is especially god at one thing or another, but for the most part, pick your price point, and buy the highest-scoring card you can find on that list for the $$ you're willing to spend.