What do you store your reloads in?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wanderinwalker, Mar 14, 2010.

1. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Just curious: Does anybody else here hate fumbling with those stupid little 50 and 100 count boxes for their pistol ammo?

Ever since I went to a progressive press, I use those cheap little Gladware containers for most of my pistol ammo. I think the ones I use are just under a quart of capacity, maybe 3/4 of a quart (3 cups or 1.5 pints I guess ;) ). Anyway, they hold about 225-250 9mms, 150-160 .38s or .45 ACP, and about 100 .44 Magnum-sized rounds. They also hold about 125 .223 rounds too, FWIW.

I do still use the little boxes for good rifle match ammo, hunting rifle ammo and .357 and .44 Magnum ammo (not my bulk practice/plinking loads, but jacketed bullets over full-power charges).

Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one who measures reloading output and range days "by the bucket!" :crying:

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

I've been storing 9mm reloads primarily in "recycled" 9mm ammo boxes left over from when I used to buy factory ammo. The overflow (I only have so many boxes) is in a .30cal USGI ammo can.

For special batches (like when I do a new load and load up small amounts for chrono work) I use little ziplock bags and write on the bag in sharpie what the load is.

For the other calibers I plan to reload, I'm either going to have to buy some boxes or just use .30cal cans.

3. GLShooter

GLShooter

Bulk 9x21 pistol for matches goes in GI ammo cans. PPC ammo goes in 100 round plastic. Blasting ammo go is plastic bags in GI ammo cans. Top end match ammo in the 100 round rifle boxes.

All varmint (which is top end) goes in 100 round boxes. Big game ammo stuff with the primo bullets goes in 20 round boxes that the bulk brass came in.

Greg

4. flagg

flagg

magazines.

lots of magazines.

:supergrin:

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I have the Berry's 50 round boxes for 357 mag. I get all that brass back so it isn't a problem. The main problem for me with ammo boxes is the borderline compulsion I have to get every empty case back. Shoot 50 rounds of 40SW and put the empties back in the little holes, four empty holes and I'll spend 15 mintues looking for four pieces of brass that have been reloaded ten times already and I have buckets of once fired brass at home.

So I go the bulk route like Wanderinwalker. I'm so cheap, I use empty peanut butter jars. I also use ziplock sandwich bags from my lunch if they didn't have anything messy in them. This way I really don't know how many I left behind. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

6. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

What GLShooter said....

7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

I store my reloads in 1000 ml Nalgene plastic sample bottles. This holds around 350 9mm rounds.

[​IMG]

8. rhino673

rhino673

:rofl: I'm glad I'm not the only one who"s a little OCD about my brass! Ziplock sandwich baggies for range ammo . 100 rounds each and then store them in GI ammo cans.

I only use the boxes for the rifle/hunting stuff.

9. Brucev

Brucev

I store all my reloaded pistol ammo in ziplock bags of 50 rds. each in .30 or .50 USGI ammo cans. All my .30-06 target/match ammo is stored in 100 rd. plastic cartridge boxes.

10. Smoker

Smoker

Butter bowls, frosting tubs, plastic fruit containers, coffee creamer containers, I think y'all probably see the pattern here. Masking tape & Sharpie to date & label.

11. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

I store all my ammo in plastic storage bottles that Walmart carries. They're made by Rubbermaid and are very inexpensive. They have a sealing, screw on top and a wide mouth for putting your paw in to grab some rounds. The bottles are clear plastic, so you can see what's inside without opening anything. They come in one liter and two liter sizes. The one liter is the only one I use, but for some .223 projects the two liter would come in handy. I have two dozen of them. I reload 10 different calibers, so I have jars for loaded ammo and cases in various stages of preparation from "back from the range" to finished product.

Ammo boxes are a vexation to the spirit !!!! I do still use them for matches where ammo count is part of the game. They help me to stay organized without much thinking in those situations.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  12. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

plastic folger coffee containers or ammo cans. i like to load in big lots if i can. i get around 400 to 500 .223 rounds in one coffee can. so if i see a good deal on bullets i'll work up a load then put them in and put the lid on then mark it so i know whats whats.
    i like to just reaching in a grabing a handful to load mags. on the other hand my long range ammo goes into 50 round boxes. if i load over 500 rounds they go into ammo cans. over the winter i loaded some 2000 rounds of 55 grain fmj which just got dumped into ammo cans.

13. sdelam

sdelam

I vacum seal each round individually

14. njl

njl Crusty Member

Another advantage to reusing commercial ammo boxes...some ranges disallow use of reloads. If you show up with your ammo loose in an old mayo jar, that's a bit more obvious than Win headstamp reloads in a Federal American Eagle box.

They may get suspicious when you start arguing with them about needing to pick up your brass / stopping them from sweeping it downrange while you're shooting. :)

15. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

I use 30cal ammo cans

16. bush pilot

bush pilot

I'm seeing the pattern, weren't you on "Hoarders" a couple of weeks ago?

17. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

18. GuySDS

GuySDS

I also use 30cal ammo cans

19. AJE

AJE Sometimes grumpy, not old

Ammo loaded for hunting or T&E purposes go into the plastic 100-rd flip top boxes. Bulk loads go into a .30 cal ammo can. I do save the boxes from factory ammo but I don't use those quite as much.

20. fredj338

fredj338

I used to do all MTM style boxes, then went to bulk cardboard boxes, but not very convenient for wanting to take only 100rds to the range. Now I am thinking of theses guys, pretty cheap & should last quite a long time. http://www.uline.com/BL_1351/Indestructo-Mailers

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010