close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you say when the wife asks...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock30 Guy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

why you need to have so many guns? I dont think 5 is that many compared to many of you folks. She is not anti gun but more indifferent towards them. For the most part she has no clue what they cost (thankfully) and has no interest in learning to use them. I tell her I dont smoke, gamble, drink or mess around. This is my "hobby" and it makes me happy. It may also save our lives one day. Last year she suggested selling them to pay for a european vacation! I said we'd probably get more for you new Lexus how about we trade that in. She said a car is a necessity, guns are not. I disagreed. I told her I'd rather walk than be unarmed. It was a cold, quiet week that week. Nothing got sold. :dunno:

2. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Ask her why she needs 8 pair of black shoes. Kinda the same thing.

3. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

show her schindler's list.

4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My wife has 5 guns herself. She encourages me to buy more or buys them for me.

5. Cultldr

Cultldr

So far I've been lucky. My wife came home with a G34 a couple weeks ago because she wanted to use it to start in Production in USPSA and use it for some Steel Challenge stuff. She's never competed but has filmed me at a few matches and wants me to get my 14 yr. old son into it as well this summer.

I got lucky in that respect.

6. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

You made a very good point.

7. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

Each has its function, 25-06 for light/med game, 7mm for med/heavy game, .458 winmag
    for dangerous game, 45s for sd/hd, ARs .223 and upcoming 458socom because I want it.

8. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

Man, you are one lucky guy !

9. fgutie35

fgutie35

Ask her why do she needs so many dresses and clothes when she only needs one outfit per day of the week. That will make her put things into perspective. At least mine did.:supergrin:

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

but when you have five similar handguns ..

the above said thing about each fitting a role doesnt fit that

11. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Bren, does she have any sisters!

12. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Bags and shoes. Guns and knives. Each think the other is unneeded, expensive or indulgent. Compromise.

13. Logan.45

Logan.45 G21 G36

I sympathize with you man... With a wife that loves to buy shoes, purses, make up yada yada yada, and no real understanding of purchasing guns. I think you just need to stand your ground and feel confident with your decisions. You have chosen to not do things that might be looked at as unhealthy and chosen a good honest hobby/shooting sport. So to answer your question of what you say... Uh... do you really need to say anything? I keep my guns tucked away so not to remind her that I even have them. I' pretty sure my wife forgets I even have guns in the house.
    Does she ask you how many screw drivers you have? Socket sets? Power tools?

14. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Although she does have over 400 pairs of shoes, I dare not approach that subject. I've tested those water before and now steer clear. After 20 years, we know each other pretty well and we aren't gonna change. I keep them low key and she rarely sees them or knows I have them with me. I keep a little slush fund to pay for my hobby and have tried unsuccessfully to get her interested in going to the range. I on the other hand have tried yoga, eaten tofu, and said "no, you dont look fat in that dress" a million times. For many years she had no idea I even had them. Then one day, in a moment of unclear honesty, I made a big mistake.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  15. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

I have more than 5...and I still have a few on my list. My husband has asked me "why do you need another one? The safe is full as it is..." Silly men! :supergrin:

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My wife, let's see:
    -- .38 S&W 637 snubbie
    -- 9mm Beretta 92 compact
    -- .357mag Ruger GP-100 revolver
    -- 20ga Weatherby semi-auto
    -- .22 Ithaca lever action
    -- .22 Winchester lever action

That's 6 guns that are just hers. I stole her Glock 26 9mm for myself. The status of the .50 muzzleloader is unclear.

In total, we've got 29 guns together.

So, maybe you should let your wife know about this :)

17. Armed to the teeth!

Armed to the teeth!

I'm a lucky man my wife likes guns and shooting at the range. She pretty much took over my G17. She wasn't always so pro gun. One day though she got out of the shower and went to the living room to find my 5 year old hiding in the corner with our twin baby boys. My wife ask what's the matter why are you guys hiding? My son replied there's a man looking in the windows and walking back and fourth my wife then heard him checking the door to see if it was unlocked. She ran to the bedroom and came back with my glock 17 she dialed 911 at the same time. The guy must have realize that someone was home and took off runing. It's funny because before that my wife used to tell me it's fun to shoot at the range but I don't think I could ever shoot someone. Well ever since that scare she said she is sure that to protect our kids she definetly could.

18. happy seal

happy seal

Seriously,
    Tell her to google " Chesire,Ct. home invasion "
    That'll do it!

19. RioKid

RioKid

My wife has several guns of her own and never says anything bad about mine. At times I have mentioned selling some of my guns and she votes against that. She has a doctor appointment in a couple of days and I told her I would drive her there because it is close to the gun store. She smiled and said "That would be great!" She's a good cook too.:supergrin:

20. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dont start a pizzing match with "why do you have..."

People like what they like. What you need to do is change how the finances are handled in your house. However you work it, there are a number of ways, but it is a "here is your money, do whatever..." and this is mine to "do whatever" and that is that.

In all honesty she sounds a tad selfish and no matter what you do, just like we all deal with something in our relationships, you will deal with issues like this.