What do you plant in your garden?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DR. HOUSE, Mar 28, 2010.

1. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

We live in town and have to plant ours in the front yard as the garages and a big pine tree shade the back yard most of the day.

For that reason, we keep it pretty small. About 6' x 6' roughly.

I will probably plant green peppers, Tomatoes are a must, still have strawberrys from last year, some sort of hot peppers.

I might also try squash and asparagus this year.

We had onions last year but they basically grew from bulbs the size of a small marble. (wasnt impressed with the end result)

I might have to try doing the bulbs and see how that goes.

The fiance wants cucumbers but I hate how they just vine out and take over.

Id like to do sweet corn but that would look corny in our front yard. (no pun intended, or wait................)

How about you?

2. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Tomatoes, spinach, romaine, green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, onions.

Sometimes you never know what might sprout up. I throw so much food scrap compost on there, that eventually mystery plants grow. We had the makings of several avocado trees over the winter, but they did not last.

3. 03 Jarhead

03 Jarhead Stiff Member

4. papasmurf77

papasmurf77

tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, pumpkins, watermelon. lots of fun, lots of work, lots of good eating!!

5. shavedape

shavedape

Corn will be a complete waste in a garden that size. Don't even waste your time on it. I also don't know that you will get much yield with asparagus for the effort. Peppers are a good pick as they grow well and are fairly compact. Same with eggplant. Don't forget beets (the golden ones are rather good so try those) and maybe carrots.

As for the cukes, stand your ground. First it starts with cucumbers and next, after the "I do's" you'll be giving in to every demand your wife makes. It starts with the salad fixin's and next thing you know it's progressed to what you can wear and what you can drive and who you can talk to and be friends with and when you can go fishing and "Don't even think about going hunting, mister, now go get a haircut because my sister and her husband are coming over for dinner!" etc. Nip it in the bud, literally! (LOL! Kidding, Cukes are good so don't let them drive a wedge between you and your betrothed. If it's a space issue then nix them from the template.)

This year I'm just doing herbs as I don't have room for veggies, except for the front yard, which would look ridiculous where I live, so I'm doing alot of flowers there instead.

6. Kozel

Kozel

I have a small garden. About 40x60. Almost half of it is potatoes. The rest is for:
    Corn, peas, radishes, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, red peppers, strawberries and some things my wife plants that I do not even know the name of.
    We also have bunch of raspberry, blueberry, back currant, red currant and gooseberry bushes outside of the garden.

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I hadn't planted a garden in years, I even gave away my tractor Tiller.

Last year I decided to plant a half dozen Tomatoes, I love fresh Tomatoes. The Beefsteak didn't do well, so this year I got a selection.

In years past my Wife and I use to plant a big garden, like 450 foot rows. That was a lot of work and we gave most of it away.

8. Victoriagotagun

Victoriagotagun

Tomatoes, bell peppers, and various hot peppers.

9. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

We went and got plants today.

got Anaheim peppers, red and yellow bell peppers, red tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, acorn squash, Oregano, Parsley.

Seems like I'm forgetting something...........

10. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

The wife planted;
    Japanese Egg plant, tomatoes, different hot peppers, cucumbers, okra, green beans.:upeyes:

11. jhoagland

jhoagland That's right! Lifetime Member

'Maters, several kinds of hot a bell peppers, onions, herbs. I built another raised bed just like this one:
    [​IMG]
    Squash coming in...
    [​IMG]
    Man, them mater's is tall.
    [​IMG]

12. DaveCharlie09

DaveCharlie09

Last year I only did Tomatoes and then we had a Blight Fungus crawl through town and it wiped them out. This year I'm gonna' focus my efforts on Corn.

13. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Those are tall!!

Are you able to grow year round there?

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I wanted to do sweet corn but our garden is in our front yard, wife didnt go for that idea.

15. jhoagland

No, Dr. House, I can grow for 9 months though. The secret is that I have my own compost piles. Pluse I buy this stuff called cotton burr compost. I fish a lot so all the fish heads and guts end up buried in the compost. I've got some worms in there around 8 inches long.

16. jhoagland

Just remember to plant many corn plants, other wise they won't produce. I don't know why, just that it is so.

17. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Its because they polenate eachother. Thats whay people detassle.

I dont know the specifics really.

18. Kasinefect

Kasinefect

Thus far: bush beans, zucchini, yellow squash, okra, tomatoes, bell peppers. Coming soon: black eyed peas, onions, corn, and watermelons. I usually plant Irish potatos but a big tree fell where I was going to plant them and I'm still cleaning that up!

19. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

I have some plans for some raised beds for my new place. Just a handful of plants each.

Raised beds

Various Herbs (haven't decided what yet)
    Currants(have to check what will grow by me Region 4)
    Blueberries
    Raspberries
    Blackberries
    Onions
    Lettuce
    Asparagus?
    Hot Peppers (Jalapeno? I want something with a milder heat but good taste)
    Potatoes?

Haven't had a garden since moving away from home in my teens so I am looking forward to it!

20. RioKid

RioKid

We have a couple of types of tomatoes, bell peppers, squash, zucchini. Filled my raised gardens with barnyard dirt/manure this year and the plants are growing like they're on steroids. In past years we have used mushroom compost with good success. I like homemade da maters.:supergrin: