GlockTalk Forum banner

101 - 120 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
View attachment 667626

My anvil story.

40 years ago, my dad wanted an anvil. No idea why. Likely why I’m the way I am. Went to Canton First Monday trade days with my dad and my buddy Don.

My dad walked every acre of that swap meet. Hefting anvils, tapping on them. Looking them over.

Finally about a mile from our pick up truck he found “the” anvil.

My buddy Don and I lugged that thing all the way back to the truck. We’d take turns carrying it. My left arm, his right arm. Switch sides. I’d carry it for awhile. He’d carry it.

Got it home. Dad got four big U bolts and bolted it on a big tree log.

There it sat.

My parents passed away. I moved their stuff to my house. One of the last things I took was that anvil.

Sat in my garage. Bought a new house. Moved all my stuff. One of the last things I moved was that freaking anvil.

It’s still sitting in my garage. I occasionally use it. Every once in a while trip over it. But, there it sits. It’s a beautiful bouncy anvil. A ball bearing will just about bounce back into your hand if dropped. A tangible metaphor for all the crap I have dragged through my life.

But, dammit, it’s MY anvil!

Still deciding which of my sons I will burden with it in my will.
That's kinda funny. This thing looks cool and is handy once in a while, but not really something I need. But, it has a little history. Worth quite a hunk of change these days. Don't know what it's future will be.

·
NRA Life Member
28,686 Posts
My wife's Civil War kepi; worn by a relative in Ohio.

IMG_2391.JPG
IMG_2390.JPG

·
Why so serious?
65,055 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
In Feb. 1945 my Dad was returning from a bombing mission over France . Near Lyon they had total failure of all four engines of their B-17 . They did a wheels up landing in a plowed up field . My Dad found a piece of broken plexiglass from the nose cone that was roughly shaped like his home state of Louisiana . He stuffed it in his jacket and somehow managed to keep from losing it over the years . I still have it now along with a couple of pics of the crew standing around the plane . Priceless to me .

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My Fathers WWII bring backs. He was in the Air Corp(ATC), and traded for some items when in Europe. Seems he always had Cigarettes to trade.
atceurdivashtraywwiiobv_540x535.jpg

Not just real common, they are out there, just not very many anymore.
images.jpg

NAZI desktop bust of you know who.
sadag_out.jpg

NAZI Brownshirt Dagger. Again, these are still on the market, like the Bust, but not many anymore, and the price goes nowhere but up.
Left to me after my Father passed away. I treasure them due to his memory, and their historical Value.

My other oddity:
Bersa_Thunder_32_Black.jpg

Bersa Thunder .32
Only 5000 in the US. Imported in 2011, IIRC.
A rare pistol that is a value to me. I like .32's

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,484 Posts
Gave my daughter a megladon tooth
I have one of those from the Cooper River in SC.

Growing up I used to love walking the beach looking for shark teeth in Myrtle Beach. I have several mason jars full of them.

About 35 years ago, I was walking on the beach in Florida and I looked down and saw this little face smiling up at me.
That is really cool! When I was a little girl Mommy told me rocks with holes in them are good luck.

I always keep my eyes open when I'm running on the beach. Sometimes I find nice shells, I have quite a collection now. Last year I found a piece of a Spanish olive jar from the 1715 fleet.

·
Patrol Corporal
954 Posts
I have a hand full of sharks teeth that came up when we were digging a well in south Alabama. From about 160' down. Maybe the teeth themselves aren't unusual but where they came from makes them kind of cool, I think.

·
NRA Life Member
64,225 Posts
Too many things to list. Maybe I'll add pictures after work. I guess the one most likely to get attention would be the 19th century coffin, complete with 19th century coffin display stands.

Set of Afghan Man-jammies, with pakol (Massoud hat); Goat skull; Wrought iron pentagram candle holder.

Reactions: speedway and jp3975

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Here we are. The manual is dated 1904:

The Ernie Banks baseball card was stashed inside... I was wondering where that got to. Add that to the list of unique "stuff" I suppose. Anyone know anything about it?

... and the helmet. I doubt it's authentic:

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
A Lindsay Young America duplex pocket pistol, mold & ram that was owned by my great great great (?) Grandfather who was an artilleryman in K Company, 9th New York Hawkins' Zouaves.
Pictures or it didn’t happen. :whistling:

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
At one time I started collecting coins and decided I wanted a coin for the birth years of my parents and grandparents. My parents were born in 1927 and 1929 so that wasn't to hard. The grandparents go back to around 1885 up to 1904. It isn't that I can't find the coins but some of them can be expensive.
Please to define expensive. I found some toned (personal favorite) 1885 silver dollars on eBay.

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
A true, dug, relic condition 1860 Army my grandfather found metal-detecting on his farm here in Virginia in the 1950s, wood long-rotted away, but it’s still loaded, you can see the bullets in the cylinder.

Also have a 7th Louisiana CS belt-buckle from the same area.
Would love to see a photo of those.

·
Spider
1,832 Posts
I don't know if you would call it unusual, but. I have an old pocket watch, a Waltham. Got it from my mom, it belong to her Great-grandfather. The case is silver, to wind it up you unscrew the back and use a key to wind up the spring, also you use the key on the face of the watch to reset the hands.

Reactions: Sgt127 and 63Bravo

·
Banned
31,207 Posts

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
An unused ticket to the 1964 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows, NY. A "freshman beanie" (talk to an older person if you are under 65 or 70) from my first year in college, 1965. A Betty Boop For President pin from the 1980 presidential election. Plus many more stupid but somewhat rare pieces of American trivial history.
Or watch Animal House.

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
101 - 120 of 188 Posts