What do you look for in "collectible" G19?

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by LukasKDA, Feb 8, 2016.

1. LukasKDA

LukasKDA

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=540209927

I was watching this auction this week and was surprised by the end price. But perhaps I'm missing something and you all can fill in my knowledge gap: Other than this being an early gen 2 with a five digit SN, is there something about this glock that makes it worth more than a brand new gen 4?

2. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

It has Austrian proof marks but that's all I can see.

3. LukasKDA

LukasKDA

And you know that from the SN or is that one of the smudges that I can't really make out from the pics?

I'm doing my Austrian Proof research now so forgive my ignorance.

4. domino1

domino1

LukasKDA,

The austrian proof marks are on the barrel by the serial number, on the slide below the extractor and on the frame above the trigger guard.

The pistol was really clean and the buyer obviously wanted a nice Gen 2. The price is not that ridiculous if any old used Glock is worth $400. The person has probably looked for something nice for a while and that price was acceptable.

5. LukasKDA

LukasKDA

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140128677@N06/shares/0P405b

I'm having a hard time finding info on the proof marks. So is this pic a standard Austrian proof? I was looking at the auction on my phone so I couldn't really decipher that mark from the normal Glock mark on my US made ones (I do see its on the frame now as well).

6. Mayonator

Mayonator

My first Glock 19 looked just like that. I bought it used for around $400 I'm thinking, and the finish on mine wasn't nearly as good. I don't know about collectible, but some people don't like the finger grooves, grip textures, or the newer finishes. I don't think $510 is unreasonable if it's what a person wants.

7. SmokieXD45

SmokieXD45

I just look for ones I don't have yet, or if it's an uncommon model in good shape that I can replace a lesser condition one that I have already.

$510 is actually decent for that particular gun. I was going to bid on it, but I forgot.

And yes, the picture you posted is the Austrian proof marks. Design on the left side is the Austrian coat of arms, and the "nvp" is stamped to the right to show that the barrel was fired with a proof load of ~130% standard pressure and passed.

The only time you'll see a newer model gun with these marks is if the US Glock factory is running extremely low on inventory, and they ship ones over that were destined for the overseas market. Every gen 1 19 I've seen has them, Gen 2's are the most common, gen 3's were brought in for a short time during one of the recent gun panics, but I'm not aware of any gen 4 19's over here yet.

8. LukasKDA

LukasKDA

Thank you Smokie, and congratulations on your Gen 1! I was watching that auction and then found the thread on here where you all were talking about it. Did you ever find out how many there actually are?

SmokieXD45 likes this.
  9. SmokieXD45

SmokieXD45

Thank you Lukas. She ain't the prettiest, but to me it's the most beautiful gun in my collection! ;)

As far as I know, after talking with a very good source, there were only the 16 prototypes made. Out of these, I could only verify the existence of 7, as photographic proof is worth more than a story. Not saying there aren't still more out there, I'm sure there are a few, but that's the only ones I've personally seen pictures of.

10. LukasKDA

LukasKDA

And after that auction I won't be surprised if more pop up, both real and fake. You definitely bought at a good time!

11. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

One might think that a Smyrna PD marked Gen 2 G19 could hold some collector value.

SmokieXD45 likes this.
  12. SmokieXD45

SmokieXD45

One might think that one was left for a beaver to use the mag well as a chew toy lol. :holysheep:

How does damage like that even happen?

13. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

I dunno, perhaps getting hit against a wall, if one were a righty. Maybe hitting a metal chair, repeatedly over the years. It's a really early gen 2 and from the town of home office...

14. Firecop203

Firecop203

I got lucky with mine.

It's a gen-2 serial #DPxxx. It's all original with the old non metal lined "U" magazines with box papers and all the accessories.

I called Glock for a serial number research and they said it was one of the first 3000 model 19's imported into the country. Paid $350.00 for it.

LukasKDA likes this.
  15. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

While the G-19 is likely my favorite all-around handgun, as far as truly collectible, all I look for are Gen 1 19s as rare as they are.

16. ls

ls Millennium Member

I'm wondering if the buyer might be from the state of MA. I believe only guns made before a particular date are allowed in unless someone is moving there and then they can bring what already own. This date is before most Gen 3s. That and the seller takes cc with an established A+ reputation. It could be they collect, have the money and instead of waiting they decided on getting.

17. LukasKDA

LukasKDA

You might be right, I'm starting to wonder how many Glock buyers there are in MA. They definitely seem to be driving the preban mag market. And King's is a seller that I've bought from many times. They are great to deal with, but they're also usually on the cheaper side because they run $.01 no reserve auctions. That's another reason that sale price surprised me.