close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you look for in a gun store?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by whitetiger7653, Mar 30, 2010.

1. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

What is the most important thing for you in a gun store?

Selection
    Price
    Customer service
    Knowledge
    Other

2. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Honestly, price and silence but I settle for price. I do most of my buying over the net because I can get the best price.

3. G31

G31 Millennium Member

price and customer service.

4. BigChuck73

BigChuck73 Registered Lurk

Friendliness - I swear only gun shops treat people like crap when you walk in.

If you don't say hello when I enter, happily hand me any gun I want to see, I'm gone.

When I first purchased my 26 I went to a gun store and the first store were complete jerks. Me - "can I see that 26 please". Them, "you going to buy it?". So I drove 15 minutes out of my way to another store.....purchased it and drove back to the first store and showed them my receipt. Told them they lost a nice sale - I purchased 200 rounds of ammo, 3 different holsters, night sites, etc.

The gun store is now out of business. :rofl::rofl:

5. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Customer service and good prices. I can deal with all the gun store commandos and lack of shooting range, etc. I am just looking for a good price and helpful, friendly sales staff to provide it to me.

The shop I make most of my purchases at is outstanding in both departments. He is located less than 15 minutes from my place and always has plenty of guns and ammo to check out. He also deals with a lot of archery and muzzle loading products. Just a great guy and is wonderful to deal with every time I have gone there.

I also forgot to mention that it is just him who works there, and his wife helps him out on occasion. Therefore, there are no idiots working there to stick their nose up at somebody's choice in firearms or make them feel stupid for asking an honest question.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. Berto

Berto woo woo

That about sums it up for me, too.

...and revolvers, they need to have a good revolver selection.

7. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

price for me is first - to be honest I dont need to like you if you have what I want and at the best price.

8. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

So what makes you go to a store instead of buying online?

I personally do both, but mostly go to stores to use the range.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  9. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I will pay a little more for good service.......... it is worth a little tip.

10. rahrah12

rahrah12

customer service and price...I like to be able to go in and just browse without the sleazy salesman...I also do not want to go back to the net and see the same guns for $100s less

11. raven11

raven11

Customer service and Selection

I know whatever price he has i can beat it but when i buy a weapon from a gun store i'm getting to hold the weapon, its weight, balance, and trigger pull -something i can't do online and that is worth the extra cost

also i'm a young buyer , most people when they first look at me don't think i can drop 1,000 for a HK45. they treat me with respect, don't rush, and answer all my question i am more then willing to give this guy some commission

12. PlanForTheWorst

PlanForTheWorst

Customer service, price and selection.. er. i guess location too..

13. BuckeyeBlast

BuckeyeBlast

In order:
    1 - Customer service -
    It's not a privlidge for you to allow me in the store, it's a privlidge for me to choose to be there.
    No, you're not the only place in town, and even if you are I have a car that will take me to another town where I'm not bothering them.
    2 - Price -
    I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks to do business locally, but don't rape me. I know the business isn't cheap, I know insurance is expensive, and I know inventory costs money, but selling a lot of guns for a smaller profit should bring more money than leaving them sit in your case while I order online. Seriously, if I can order online, pay for shipping, pay for FFL fee and you still won't even match THAT price, then you must not be serious about wanting to sell guns. I know I'll be paying sales tax and I'll gladly pay the extra sales tax to keep a local gun shop in business, but I've got bills too.
    3 - Selection -
    Nothing draws me into a store more than shiney steel and polished wood under those clear lighted cases. Ever see the attendance at a gun show? You think those people would be there just to look at catalogs and order stuff? No, let me see her, hold her, fall in love with her, and go home with her that night for a good strip and lube... Stay with me guys, still talking about guns.

Everything else falls after these things for me. Location? No, I'll drive a little out of the way to get what I want, deal w/ pleasant enthusiasts who aren't afraid of me being some anti-christ-big-brother-gun-grabber because it's my first time in the store. Knowledge? Sure, but I probably already know what I want. I've seen a few people behind gun counters who didn't belong there and shook my head at some of the crap that spews out of their mouth, but if they're cool to me I can ignore the bad info that they have. Range? This is more of a destination. I'll always look at guns while at a range, but I would never avoid a gun store because they don't have a range.

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Ethics. The kind of store where a widow can bring in her late husband's S&W Registered Magnum or WWII bring back Luger and they will tell her what she has and help her get a fair price for it. I have found that smart, fair dealing brings all the other stuff with it.

15. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

1 Honesty
    2 Service
    3 Price

16. moncoacp

moncoacp

Difficult situation. Price is always important but so is service. Brick and mortar just can't compete price wise, but the internet can't provide their kind of service. Service first with me as long as the prices are not too far out of line with internet prices. I will pay extra for the service and expertise of the gunsmith.

17. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

AHHhhhhhh, I was wondering how to answer, now I know...this.

Honesty in the sale.....all else pales....I will pay a bit more for the good sales attitude.....and they get my business again, to boot.

I am OuT.........:cool:

18. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I just look. I don't buy anything from gun shops anymore. That is what the internet is for.

19. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

Very well put.

I also like a gun store that is "female friendly".

20. tydefan05

tydefan05

I sympathize with gun owner dealer with ignorant "know it all's" and the rigors of any business. However, more than half the gun stores I've been to in my life acted like I was an inconvenience. As a matter of fact, only two of the three stores in my town actually follow their posted hours. The other brag about how they show up when the spirit moves them and they're "doing just fine". After a few trips on my lunch break to find them closed I decided they could do just fine without me.