close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what do you guys think of this SD card?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by justinsn95, Sep 25, 2006.

1. justinsn95

justinsn95 Im in jail...

overstock.com has a 4 gig SD card for $100 that they claim is a savings of $50. the brand name is Kingmax, which i guess is off brand, but the price beats the crap out of wal-marts 2 gig scandisc brand which comes out to be about $85.
    what do you think? think this is a good deal? im looking for a high capacity card for my digital camera. i know 2 gig is great, but a 4 gig would be awesome. especially at that price? whats your opinion on this card?

2. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

It sounds like a pretty good deal. But be sure to read your camera's manual. I know my Panasonic Lumix FZ7 only supports up to 2GB SD cards.

Also, look around. I got my 2GB SanDisk for about $55 about 6 months ago. I kinda like having two cards in case one goes tango uniform.

Joey

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

It appears to be a popular brand overseas, check Goggle for links.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Now, I might be offbase here, but just my opinion.

My Olympus FE100(4.0mp), has a 512mb smart card, because it was on sale(30 w/a rebate) when I bought the camera. With that 512mb card, I can hold around 720 pics. Obviously, you're mileage will vary slightly if you have say a 5.0/6.0 camera, etc, but not to much I don't think.

Do you plan on being away from a computer so long that you need to actually use 4gb of pics? I guess if push came to shove, you could carry the USB cable along with you, and if you run out of space, hop into a kinkos or something, and have them download the pics from the camera, and put them on a CD for you, then clear the SD card.

I'm just wary of some things like that not being from a "known" quality manufacturer.

Just my opinion

5. pyblood

pyblood

This is just me, but I would rather have 2 2GB cards than 1 4GB card. In case something crazy happens. I also tend to lean toward faster memory cards like the Kingston Ultimate line or the faster Sandisk cards.

Take at look at NewEgg. Here’s a 150X 4GB OCZ SD Card that is $71 with a $12 rebate.

Like the other posters said, make sure that your camera will actually be able to take advantage of the extra flash memory. It would suck to buy a 4GB card and your camera only recognizes it as a 1GB card.

6. lens

lens

I'm all for keeping to the known brands of cards. Price delta isn't that big and once you lose your pictures, there is no turning back!!

As for a device supporting sizes . . .

- An older camera I had only supported up to xMB, as that is all that was available in the marketplace at the time it was built.

- I bought a few 512MB cards, when they were the biggest out there, and they worked fine in the camera. ONLY issue was that the digital counter "couldn't count that high" and gave a blank reading for the number of pictures left on the card. No big deal. All pictures came out and were transferable to the desktop (I use a card reader, I've never used the cameras themselves . . . why chew up the batteries and run slower than needed?).

So, I suspect that the 4GB cards will work even if not officially supported. Counter may be off, but pictures will be fine. YMMV

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Microcenter.com has 1GB SD cards for $19.99. $15.99 in the stores.