What do you go to a restaurant for that you can't make correctly at home?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G29Reload, Oct 9, 2015.

1. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

I can make great steaks but there's something about that Ruth's Chris sizzle.

I'm 95% on pizza, but sometimes you just can't perfect it the way a pro can.

And there is that food cartel thing. Some items are sold only by restaurant supply houses who refuse to sell to the public.

Finest cuts of meat, cheese, etc.

Playing off another thread. Compelling question for you at home perfectionist chefs.

When do you give up and make reservations?

2. 2bgop

2bgop

3. varget

varget

damn hard to properly make ahai(sp?)tuna. only rarely successful. for most other things the cost of restaurants is exorbitant way too often. at least I know what I put in our food made at home.

4. Mark Smeaton

Mark Smeaton

5. snorko

snorko NRA Life Member

Hot & Sour soup. Also some other Asian dishes. I know that with a big trip to the local Asian grocery and a lot of time I could probably replicate it, a quart of Hot & Sour soup is like $5.00 at the corner take away. It is freshly made to order and delicious.

varget and ranger1968 like this.
  6. HarlDane

HarlDane

That's a good one.

I'm a good cook, but I've found for some meals it's cheaper to go out by time you buy ingredients you normally don't keep on hand. I also eat out, not because I can't cook the dish, but because sometimes it's nice to let someone else do the work.

Joe! likes this.
  7. PBCounty

PBCounty

My primary reason for going to restaurants and bars is the presence of waitresses and bartenders. I specialize in them. As far as product, well, I’m not very good at making much of anything so I guess the entire menu would qualify. Long Island iced teas stand out. I love a good Long Island but I am very poor at making them. Few bartenders can make a good one themselves so I know where to go for an excellent one when I’m in the mood.

8. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

The issue with steak is that you are probably not buying the same quality beef. My wife grew up eating grocery store steak they would marinade to the point where the "flavor" wasn't beef, it was the marinade. Find a local butcher, the smaller the better. The small guys tend to source locally so the steak you eat is not only an amazing cut, cheaper than the shoeleather you normally buy but it had a name and lived 200 feet from where it was slaughtered.

9. tattooo

tattooo

10. JMS

JMS 02

Sushi as well. I'm sure I could make a basic roll but some of my favorites are quite complicated.

tattooo likes this.
  11. JMS

JMS 02

We couldn't find decent ribs so we learned to make our own. Better than any restaurant we've been too.

12. HarlDane

HarlDane

I have yet to find restaurant ribs that are worth a damn.

13. JMS

JMS 02

What we do after cleaning the ribs (removing the membrane off) is used a dry rub like in this link
    http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm

After covering the whole thing in rub wrap it in saran wrap and then aluminum foil. 225 degrees for 2 hours allows the ribs to steam and let's off all the nasty juices (which we drain). From there we let it cool for a few hours and then throw it on the grill until the bones start pulling from the meat. Sweet Baby Ray's to finish it off. Nothing overly complicated.

varget likes this.
  14. HarlDane

HarlDane

That's similar to what I do, although I just use foil, I'll have to try saran wrap as well. I started off doing 2 hours in smoke, 2 hours wrapped and then back into the smoke to finish. Now I usually get lazy and do two hours in the oven wrapped while I make slaw and get the fire going and then two hours or until done on the BBQ.

15. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I've never really trusted restaurant possum.

[email protected] likes this.
  16. JMS

JMS 02

You might be overcooking it? I'd say total cooking time between the oven and grill is 2:30 max. At that point the meat is starting to separate off the bone but still has a nice texture.

17. HarlDane

HarlDane

I started with a 2-2-1 method I found online and that was waaaaay to much time for baby backs. I've dialed back to 4 hours total which seems to work for bigger, meatier racks as long as I don't let the pit get too hot.

18. SRS

SRS

I rely on restaurants for just about any Asian food - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese. Also, I'm pretty bad with Mexican, but haven't tried very hard to develop my own skills. It's too easy to go to a restaurant.

19. First shot

First shot

Not much really, my wife and I just get sick of cooking. First shot.

20. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Popeye's fried chicken and biscuits.

I have had some very good fried chicken and biscuits at home, but they know how to do it RIGHT. There's a reason the restaurant had to send people to training schools for biscuit making before modern biscuit technology made it easier for them.

varget likes this.