close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by tyesai, Feb 8, 2006.

1. tyesai

tyesai

O.K.

There is this cute little mutt puppy living out in the swamp about a half mile away from my house. Someone has obviously dumped it out there and I have tried several times to bait the dog to get close to me but I honestly can't get within twenty feet.

There maybe more than one of them although I am not sure because this one barks at me and I always hear something just out of visual distance making this funny whining noise, the more I chase the sound the farther out into the marsh it goes. The other night I chased it out to the point where it was getting dark fast, I had no gun, I was deep enough into marshy/swampy land that I wasn't going any farther without at the very least a flashlight.

It is getting cold at night and I have noticed the pup has a few little "dens" around the area.

I can't get near the stupid thing, animal control won't have anything to do with it because of my location and I don't think they could catch it anyway.

I guess what I am saying is I feel bad for the thing but the only thing I know what to do is shoot it or let it starve/freeze to death.

Feasable alternative ideas?

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Try a dog house (anything to block the wind really) and some dog food. If the dog knows it has a home there work up slowly to building the dogs confidence. Let the dog come to you, never ever chase it. Win it's trust by feeding it and providing a warm den type area and before you know it, he/she will come around and you will have a best friend for life.
    good luck

3. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

^6 Good advice Mike.

tyesai, just don't expect him to come running to you right away for the food. You will probably have to leave it there for him. After a couple days of that he should start to trust you more like Mike said. Thanks for being so concerned about this pup. I have met too many people that could care less about them.^c