What do you do----

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by norton, Jan 9, 2017.

1. norton

norton

I somehow got on a call list for a young woman (whom I do not know) that apparently is not making her student loan payments. I spoke to someone one day when I got the call and told that person I do not know, have never known the deadbeat you are chasing. I was told my # (its a cell) would be taken off the list but yesterday and today I got 3 calls from out of State. I am sure its the same finance company.
    Is there a way to get off the list? Permanently?

2. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Nurse Extraordinaire

Are they using an automated dialer or leaving you a prerecorded message?

If so, you can make some money from them. Google Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).

3. crockett

crockett

Had the same several years ago... somehow got a number from some loser with a new contract. Collection calls almost every day, called them, but never took me out of the systems. I ended up requesting a new number, but the same crap started over right away with the new one. Is anybody paying their freakin bills?!

Next time I asked for a new number from the zip code 90210 (Beverly Hills) and guess what... no scam, spam or collection calls anymore.

huskerbuttons likes this.
  4. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I deal with hundreds of calls from employees and customers.

If I don't recognize the number I don't answer.

If they don't leave a message then it wasn't for me or important.

silentpoet, poles19, billkill and 2 others like this.
  5. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Unless you have a Samsung phone, Extreme Call Blocker from the Google Play Store.

6. janice6

janice6

Got this for years from creditors of an ex-SIL. He used his newborn kids SS #'s for CC to buy stuff and never pay. He gave references to people he knew, so the creditors called them and made threats for payment.

Apparently there are companies that buy outstanding bad credit bills and try to collect them for a significant portion of the outstanding bill. They can be pretty ruthless, regardless of federal law. I just blocked their numbers as they called and finally they gave up.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

But now you're a 90210 type of ho...

8. crockett

crockett

Liberal, Hollywood, and all!

9. Gary Wells

Gary Wells

Sounds like somebody has hooked up with my ex-girlfriend of about 20 years back. I used to get the same calls, plus calls about someone that had my last name & lived in the same mobile home park that I do. Now I screen or do not answer any # I do not recognize. You would be surprised how much less stress there is when you either don't respond to #'s you are not familiar with or screen your calls.

janice6 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  10. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

Pay the loan.

11. norton

norton

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

janice6 likes this.
  12. norton

norton

Have a Samsung.

13. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

Guess it's time for me to ad my usual plug for the one-line-free call screening website youmailDOTcom.
    Rather than retype all the nifty and fun ways it can be helpful, one can search gng for the last time or so posted to recommend it.
    Nothing to disclose; i have only a 1-line free acct, don't work forvthem, and have never pursued any 'referral credits' or the like.
    Its great for people w/o smart phones, &/or who just want to avail themselves of auto-blocked calls based on the running database of bs numbers that the site maintains.

14. BillG174

BillG174

If you have an iPhone do the following:
    - display Recent calls
    - for the number you want to block press the "i" to the right of the time on the right side of the screen.
    - on the next screen scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and press "Block this Caller" then press "Block Contact" in red.

The above will work if a number is displayed. It won't work if the number shows "Unkown".

If you have a land line, AT&T has a feature where you can block numbers. I am sure other carriers probably have blocking features too.

Hope this helps!

15. janice6

janice6

So do I. I use Black List Plus (free app). Stops the phone from answering. There is also a call Blocking in the system apps built into the phone. It has some limitations that I don't like, so I don't use it.

A problem is that they can leave msg's on your voice mail, and my service (T Mobile) will not let me block that. (steamed) So I have an intro on the voice mail that says I will never check my voice mail and if you need me, call back. I let the calls accumulate and some God somewhere then clears them out and we start over.

16. Z71bill

Z71bill

Back when I worked at the finance company I had 20 people that did collections.

They had all sorts or tricks to chase people down -

We at least wanted to repo whatever we had loaned them money to buy -

I made a few calls now and then - just so I could better understand what the employees were doing - and understand the job.

If that was my full time job I would find a different job.

I had one guy that was magic - he took the accounts that no one else could collect - that were sometimes over a year past due and would get people to pay off the debt.

He actually liked working collections.

There was one account we had written off - it was for over $100K - he said he was going to collect it - everyone laughed.

It took him a couple years - but one day he comes in and puts a check down on my desk for the full amount. The check cleared.

silentpoet, Bruce M and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  17. flyover

flyover

Ask them what they are wearing. :whistling:

Batesmotel likes this.
  18. Current Resident

Current Resident

I have a company phone, the last employee that had the number was clearly a deadbeat. In one year I couldn't tell you how many calls I fielded. One day they left a voice mail. I wrote down the number, contact and called them back.
    It worked. I explained the situation and it stopped.

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

My experience - as the party trying to collect -

If you get information that you believe is true - like - the number you are calling does not belong to the guy you are trying to collect from - and is a totally unrelated person. Then you are wasting your time calling it - so you stop.

I know it may be hard to believe but the people that do collections are pretty normal people - they just have a job to do.

There are a few that push too hard - and I will bet that is the companies that pay their collection people a % of the recovery.

We didn't do that - but obviously the people that can collect better get bigger raises - so over time they are being paid way more.

20. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

When I was sick and on disability, some prisoners (in several states) somehow got my number (I think I know who they got it from, but why, I don't know).

They REALLY wanted their "commissary". It was a fun way for me to pass idle time. Their stories were magnificently creative and entertaining.