What do you do...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brian321, Jan 21, 2010.

1. brian321

brian321

with your gun if you go into post offices,stadiums,churches,etc? I am new to CC and know you cant carry in these places but what do you do with your weapon? I bought a small pistol safe to keep in my car to lock it up, Is that a good idea or not?(if someone broke in they could just take the whole safe).

2. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

3. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

See if you can find a way to cable lock the safe to the seat rails. I've seen quite a few people do that. I use the glove box. Mine has a lock on it that requires the key to the car and would take way too much time for the average car burglar to break into. If your glove box has a lock, that should be fine.

4. dontshakepandas

dontshakepandas

Most burglars can get into a locked glove box in about 5 seconds using only a screwdriver. So not only will your gun be gone, but your glove box will be broken and it is likely that your dash will be screwed up.

5. smokin762

smokin762

I am not into sports and I do not drink so that is a non-issue for me but I do go to the Post Office often. Since the parking lot is not marked, I just put my gun in the glove box. I do the same thing when I go out to eat but I try to always park next to a window and I always ask for the seat nearest to that window.

Do you have a place in your car that you can mount the safe? If you do, I would consider that.

The seats in my car are to low for me to mount a safe under and the trunk release is right on the dash in plain sight. :faint:

6. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Actually, I can't remember if GT had reached a consensus that carrying of firearms is banned in post offices.

7. greg27

greg27

yeah its illegal here in florida , has to do with the building being for fedral employees.when they made a law banning companies from firing you for having a gun in your car the postal service sent a letter to their employees telling them that the law did'nt apply to them im sure thats been challenged i wonder what the outcome was

8. Kith

Kith

I know a post office is a federal building, and federal buildings are on my list of places I won't be able to carry here in pa.

I don't ever go to the post office though, so not something i'll have to worry about.

Come to think of it, I don't normally go to any place that i won't be able to carry once my permit gets approved...at least until I put myself back in school.

Depends on where you go. In court houses here they have to provide you with a locker where you can turn in your firearm if you have to go inside, and they must issue you a receipt for it.

If I did have to run into the post office I would just leave it in my truck. I'm not too keen on leaving a firearm in my truck all the time, but for a few minutes here and there I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

If I knew I was going to have to leave it in there a lot or for extended periods of time, I would definitely look into getting a safe for the truck.

*edit*
    Just had a thought - if you get a cable lock, like the kind that goes through the magwell, you could probably run it through the trigger and loop it around a part of the metal underneath your seat in your car. It would be attached to the seat, and they would have to break the cable, seat or trigger guard to get the gun. The trigger guard is the most likely point of failure in that setup, but they shouldn't be able to see it under the seat. If you setup the cable lock under your seat looped through one of the metal frame rails, whenever you had to store the gun you could just slide the gun under and slip the cable through the trigger guard with minimal fuss.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  9. smokin762

smokin762

My attitude is, if my gun is not welcomed than neither am I. I have no problem with shopping and eating at their competitor’s place of business that does allow me to carry there.

You might want to check your state laws on how a loaded handgun must be stored in your vehicle.

In Ohio, it has to be in a glove box, center console or a zippered bag. I believe whatever I put it in here in Ohio, it has to have the ability to close by a latch or something. Just my thoughts.:dunno:

10. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I use a cabled lock box for short term trips-PO and such
    I don't drink,do the concert thing(even though I'm minutes from the GORGE)or do the sports thing
    Exept for the PO- If my Glock can't go,I don't go(Glocks get lonely)

11. FAS1

FAS1

In my lockbox bolted to the floor.

Attached Files:

12. brian321

brian321

Thats pretty nice.I have a lock box but im not sure i wanna bolt it to the floor.:dunno: