Glock Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
It is a matter of scale. We have a lot more than that every day. My answer would be to push them back out to sea. But i am not a nice person.

· Registered
15,917 Posts

· Registered
15,917 Posts
This topic is a recurring one, especially for the original poster.

In this year's version, the original poster posited that the approaching band was a church group.

Ok. I will give you an example of what happens in the REAL WORLD.

http://news.yahoo.com/escape-from-n...-key-bridge-to-fleeing-residents-215830472.ht.

A group of volunteer workers who stayed behind in Katrina, had to evacuate. This wasn't 35 days into shtf or even a week.

They were turned away at gun point at an escape bridge. It wasn't "racist": as the sole ***** councilman had also voted to close the bridge.

It wasn't like there was a desperation for food or for looting.

I know that we have ferverent religious people out here. In the real world, unless it is just that religious (let's give everything away) guy in charge of a small group, the situation will parallel this real world scenario in Katrina.

FYI, when scenarios are posted like this one, survival skills include transposition (the ability to see the world from the other guy's perspective) and situational awareness. If a person truly believes that a scenario is as simple as two forces standing out in the open in formation with muskets aimed at the other side like in the Disney film Johnny Tremaine, he is going to die.

Another example. Korean War. Movies or real world newsreels. A mass of refugees coming down a road to a checkpoint. Sometimes NK infiltrators. Sometimes refugees forced along at gunpoint. Checkpoint people say stop. In fact sometimes there are no infiltrators. What happens? The refugee column is attacked. This is real world, and it doesn't matter that you have been religious or a conscientious objector your whole life.

If, in this year's hypothetical, you are deliberately static, in the real world you are going to fight or have to run away. It takes some real leadership (thinking) to have figured out how to interview people, keep the useful ones, and integrate them into the existing group. Most people do not have those skills and will not have them when shtf.

· Registered
15,917 Posts
Another assumption in the scenario should have been that all of the family/defenders were healthy and available.

Terry's Rangers fought in over 275 engagements in the War Between the States. Here is where people probably start waving their flags, Federal or Confederate.

The following is contemporary news account that you should read and absorb. The Texicans were encamped under what were harsh conditions.

"
. According to a contemporary newspaper account penned by Ranger Chaplain Robert F. Bunting, by the end of January, 1862, eighty four Rangers had died, only five from enemy action. At no time during the winter months were more than half the Rangers available for duty.

Oh you would say that it was a long time ago. Ok. Read about Stilwell's Burma Campaign, it is close enough in time. Focus on the ravages of illness (lots of US soldiers died from it in the Campaign).

Not historical enough? People tout Washington crossing the Delaware and surprising the British. They neglect to address the privation and overwhelming illnesses in the American encampment.

I have read a lot of ethical questions and answers in this and similar threads and discussion of weapon systems. If you ever get past those types of focus, think hard about what the reality will be after shtf. Illness and unavailability of members of your family/group should be considered in formulating your tactics/strategy and/or responses. You will find that those considerations are controlling. It is not enough to mouth a Marine Corp mantra that nobody is left behind. You have to think. If it means that you don't buy another whiz bang firearm now, but lay in medical supplies for treatment of general illnesses (illness will be a more practical focus than learning how to do field surgery for gunshot wounds), you will be better served.

· Registered
15,917 Posts
Friend asked what my plans for prisoners, wounded, surrendered or captured?
Historically, like in WW2, prisoners were used for manual labor.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_labor_of_Germans_after_World_War_II

Your democratic, free, nice United States of America government gave 740,000 prisoners over for forced labor.

Gee, just like in the Bible (word of God, of course), prisoners were turned into slaves for a period of time.

The most popular usage in France was to use the prisoners to clear minefields.
The Soviets worked them to death.

Of course, you can consider shooting the prisoners -on New Year's Day 1945 some 60 German POWs were shot in cold blood by their American guards. The guilty went unpunished. It was felt that the basis for their action was orders that no prisoners were to be taken.

· Registered
507 Posts
I think a lot of the immigration issue has a lot to do with where the immigrants are from. A boat load of Haitians versus a boat load of blonde Swede's. I'd make room for the Swede's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.