close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do you do for heat?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by AirMountainMan, Dec 1, 2004.

1. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

I hope this is not a dumb question but, what do you do to keep fido warm this time of year? (Outdoor dogs that is)

Thanks

Scott

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

A few years ago I helped build a heated outdoor shelter for two big coon hounds.

We built a huge but otherwise 'standard' doghouse from 2X4's and wood siding (floor:4' x 8'!!), then sprayed that expanding foam inside the walls between the studs and slapped some 1/2" plywood against it, securing it with deck screws.

We did the same thing for the roof, which was set up with two layers of wood under the shingles; the space between the rafters got the foam insulation treatment as well.

We used 1/2" plywood for the flooring, but then installed heat tape onto it and finished up with some thin (1/4") paneling and some grey carpet from an old office building, which gave great protection and easy cleaning but didn't block the heat transfer much.

After the heavy rubber self-sealing pet door was installed and the pooches' beds were installed, all was set.

The power line from the garage split from the doghouse to supply their water bucket with power for one of those little birdbath heaters, so that it never froze up. An automatic feeder stood next to this, and kept the food safe from snowstorms, ect.

These were some happy puppies, let me tell you.

The end product was heavy, but fairly cheap to build. And it worked perfectly, never getting below 40F inside even when there was -40F wind chills going on outside. I don't think the heat tape drew much juice, either...at least, he never griped about it!

3. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

I really like your dog house/heat plans. I am heading over to the depot today so that I can price that stuff out. Thank you much for the insight.

Scott

4. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

I have a heat lamp outside for my cat. He is under it all the time. When I had a dog I had a heat lamp in her doghouse. One of these lamps will warm even a large house. Just make sure to protect the cord so fido doesn't chew on it with conduit. You can get the lamps at Lowe's, Home depot and I think even wally world has them.

5. Pug Puppy

Pug Puppy

Get dog carrier, put some straw in it. Place said dog carrier in house.
    When it's about 9 clock at night, put doggie in carrier. Early next morning, take doggie out and tie him up to his/her doghouse. Feed and and water him/her then. he/she will empty themselves' before you put them up for the night.
    Avoid cedar chips, they cause skin allergies which can irritate a dog. Stick to straw, you can get a bale of it for under $5.00 at a farm store. One bale will last a dog all winter.
    Works for me!

6. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

For Heat...

1. Take pooch outside before you (and your wife, if applicable) head to bed.
    2. Let him/her do their' potty business.
    3. Come inside. Lock up for the night.
    4. RUN to your bedroom as fast as you can, while 'straight-arming' your dog who's trying to get the best sleeping position on the bed. Wrestle the beast to the ground (if possible) to delay his advance.

A. Note: "ploys" and distractions won't work after the dog is 6 months old, as he/she has learned YOUR tricks. Shear force, determination and your human ability to use your arms/hands like an NFL runningback, are the only alternatives.

B. Note: if wife is performing this task (in our case against a 90lb male doberman), she'll lose a bare-minimum 75% of the time. *This tactic is wise if you and the wife had an argument*

C. Note: The exercise from this little episode should keep the dog warm all night and thus keep your feet, or preferred side of body, nice and toasty-warm when the wife steals the covers (if she beats the dog to the bed).

****Supplemental Tactic: If wife steals covers between the hours of midnight and 5 am, and the dog needs a second potty-break, pretend you're sleeping and didn't hear a thing. This is your redemption! Your wife's motherly instinct will miraculously awaken her, and she will take him out. Now, steal covers back and let HER follow rules 1-4, knowing that Note 'B' will likely occur and YOU will have full control over the covers-issue for the remainder of your sleep time.

Just FYI.

7. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

another vote for straw in the house.

when i first got my pup i was up at school and i had to keep her at my g/f's house. as it got cold out, she'd put straw in her house...

one night my g'f got home from work and it was freezing out...she snuck up to the doghouse, put her hand in, and found my puppy perfectly warm even though it was cold as hell...