Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

My girlfriend has finally come around and expressed an interest in learning to shoot. She went from...'You own a gun? (disgusted)' to 'So when you gonna take me shooting?'. It only took about 5 years of me gently explaining my views to her in a way that she could appreciate...and now she is genuinely interested in learning to use a gun for her personal safety. I'm so proud :) I'm going to get her enrolled in some private instruction early this summer, before she starts coming to the range with me.

She used to do a lot of risky stuff when she was much younger (hitchhiking and worse) that put her at risk...but she was too naive to realize the dangerous situations she was in. Luckily, the wisdom of age comes to us all...and for her it came before anything ever happened.

So, while I will say that I will buy her a gun that SHE likes and is comfortable with (its for her, not me). I would really like to know what the women of GT like for CCW and home defense.

I figure maybe I can get some ideas on where to start from the ladies here.

Thanks.

Chris.

·
Sharon, you will be missed.
26,373 Posts
Hi Chris. I live in the godforsaken state of MD and we can't CCW here, but I am anxiously awaiting my FLA non-res permit :supergrin: Lots of good info here! Sign her up! :wavey:

·
Registered
220 Posts
depends on my clothing, which depends on the weather, but...
Beretta 92compact type M
Springfield XD9 SC
S&W642 with lasergrips
or soon,
keltec P32:cool:

·
Bullseye?
715 Posts
Constantly, Kahr P9. IWB. If I'm wearing enough concealing garb, my G19, also IWB.

I have no need for home defense...these two should take care of "bumps" as I live in 3rd floor apartment.

Am considering a KelTec in the event that I want something even more concealable than the Kahr.

Lynn

·
1,490 Posts
Hi Chris, I've carried a 1911 (Dan Wesson CCO model)for about a year now, and before that was carrying a Kimber Ultra CDP 1911. Both in .45acp. I also have an alternate carry, a Taurus 605 wheelgun that sees pretty regular carry--it's quick & easy to drop in a fannypack, a purse, or my SmartCarry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glock 26, I've tried others, but it is my first love, what I was trained on and have the most trust in. . . . . .

I catch alot of trash 'cause it's ugly (not in my eyes), but it goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger.

·
What's Up Dox?
6,801 Posts
Originally posted by rnchick
I'm a G19 person also - usually purse carry
Around here I'm too scared to do that. They snatch purses like they do cars.

I figured that between my purse and contents, if they were to get it with my Glock inside, they'd easily have $1000 worth. That's not going to happen.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I never leave the house without my G26 anymore. I also have a G19 and a G22, though the G22 is my duty weapon. I started with a little Sig P239 in 9mm that is a very nice gun, and being a single stack is great for smaller hands, and very concealable.

9mm is great for a beginner shooter, and still a fine defensive round for carry.

RunsWithScissor, I don't think the Glocks are ugly at all. My G26 is "cute".
;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow...thanks for all the replies :)

Looks like I will see if she prefers a wheelgun or an auto and go from there.

I was thinking of introducing her to a S&W Ladysmith in the ultrilight frame chambered in .38+P (heck, I almost bought one for myself), and probably a G19 or G26...and just seeing where it goes from there.

It seems that some of you prefer the purse carry, while some feel its too easily stolen that way. She will probably have to settle for purse carry (when we move out of crappy Illinois) since she rarely wears jeans...so iwb holsters are pretty much a no-go. Maybe a fannypack for when she goes jogging...but its all up to her anyway.

Thanks very much.

Chris

·
Goth Lover
1,013 Posts
I carry either a G22, or a sig 2340

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have to agree with SouthernGal on the purse carry thing. However if that is what she chooses to do based on her wardrobe, then make sure she has a purse designed for it. I know a lot of women love the ones from Coronado leather, and Galco has some nice ones as well. I have one from Action Direct that wasn't too expensive, though I very rarely use it. On the few occasions I've used it, I carried it across my body and kept a hand on or near it as much as I could.

I do use a fanny pack for carry while I'm working out. It's a good option for on body carry if you're wearing something like sweats that won't accomodate a belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
RunsWithScissor, I don't think the Glocks are ugly at all. My G26 is "cute".
;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Naw, I don't think it's ugly, "I catch alot of trash 'cause it's ugly (not in my eyes), but it goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger." But I hang around with alot of 1911 folks that love to trash Glocks (or anything that isn't a 1911) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't have my CCW yet but when I do I'll carry my G26. I orginally thought I would purse carry but it's not allowed in Ohio so I'll have to carry another way. A fanny pack would probably be out too (legally).

:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1911 enthusiasts like to bash Glocks...its in their DNA.

I usually offer them a polite challenge: I throw my Glock in the mud, and you throw your 1911 in the mud...we let them sit a few hours and then clear only the barrel and fire them.

Usually the guy with the $1000 1911 will refuse on principal, I have never had anyone take me up on this challenge. :D

Chris

1 - 20 of 65 Posts