close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do the Masters shoot?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Maxthemutt, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

I know most use 9mm's of some variety, I was wondering if any use 40, 10 or 45's to win. Any details or pics would be appreciated.

BTW, not talking about MajSub, although if anyone use's a 29 I'd like info.

Thanks, Max

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

not that i'm really a master or anything, but i shoot a g34 carver mount red dot in UL, g22 in MS and in the past a G39 in Msub. i'm think of making a 10mm load for my 29 and giving it a try at lexington in Msub. also thinking of a 17 for an UL gun because i tihnk i'm usually faster with the standard guns than the long slides. the 17 might even end up being a 37. i have a couple of certificates for glocks so it's been on my mind a lot lately.

3. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

ede, you are a Master and thanks for the reply. I'm faster w/ the standard guns than the longslides as well. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I have a certificate and am considering what to get. My problem is I prefer the feel of the large frames, but have never heard of anyone doing well in Master class with anything other than a 9mm. Aren't you curious what they shoot?

4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i have every frame size and caliber glock makes, i have at least one of every model. i can shoot anything i like. i tried 9mms once, went out and bought a 17, 17L, and 26. i don't like any of them well enough for GSSF, i do shoot the 17 in IDPA and USPSA. if it weren't for the high cost of the brass i'd shoot a 37 in UL and MS, but because of the cost i shoot a 34 and 22. i've never shoot on the level of some of the true masters and i think they all use 9mms but i've had some great results with the 40s in the amature classes.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I think that the 9mm is the most used Glock by Master Class Shooters and maybe even by all class shooters.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

don i'd agree the 9mms are the most used regardless of class or status

7. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

My non-master assessment as well. Don, since you & I both are acquainted with some who would load their 9's to almost .22 CB-Long velocity just for kicks the other day Butch and I ran some of his GSSF loads thru the chrono along with my WWB - the diff? About 40fps.
    The moral? What we always knew; it's the shooter.

FWIW, Ed, I think you might have something with that G37. That GAP loaded down is just way too much fun. :supergrin:

(Sorry, not a master; just know a few & a better shooter 'cause of it due to their generosity.)

Somebody older than me (in GSSF) would have to answer, but did Tom Costanza do some hot work with a .40 (G24?), or did he use 9's for GSSF?

:patriot:

8. Don At PC

Tom was strictly a 9mm man all the way and one of the Best Around. Old Blue that is now owned by FireGlock was Tom's UL Gun and he had a Stock 17 for stock class. He is a good friend and his shooting abilities will be respected for years to come.:thumbsup:

9. Arkroyal

Arkroyal Sailing on.

What do the masters shoot?

Isn't it obvious, SLAVES!
    :notworthy: :notworthy: :50cal:

10. Don At PC

WIG; Have you seen this one before. I will also post another view.

11. Don At PC

12. gary newport

gary newport

As a certified NON-master, I bit the bullet (or, more appropriately, brass) and shot my G37 at the Richmond, CA GSSF match. I used my reloads, shot better in A-C than in previous years when I had used a G21, G19 and G17 with factory ammo. However, it was truely saddening to have to leave all those short, fat and precious cases on the ground! :crying:

13. GLW

GLW

Max,

I'll add my two cents worth. While I have always shot a 9mm in Stock class, I was very tempted to try a model 21 for several reasons. Like you, I like the way the larger frame fits my hand which is one of the most important considerations for me. I also felt the larger diameter bullet offered some advantange. Finally, the 45 caliber Glocks, both acp and GAP seem to offer greater accuracy than some of the smaller calibers.

I'm not sure why I haven't explored it further. I guess my old model 17 has continued to prove reliable and I've finally found a load that it likes. It is an older two pin model that I bought used. It was a police trade in. The single biggest improvement done to the gun has been fitting it with better sights. I'm currently using Ameriglo narrow front posts which I really like. I have been very impressed with the entire Ameriglo product line and intend to use them on all my Glocks.

My G-21 has an Ameriglo narrow front and a fixed rear with a wide notch. It offers a crisper sight picture for my aging eyes. Bottom line, use what ever works for you. The frame that fits your hand is the best place to start and then get a good set of sights. Hope this helps. Grady

14. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

Thanks all for the replies, I was hoping I wouldn't offend anyone with the "Master" comment, I'm sorry I did.

Thanks Grady for your reply, thats what I was looking for. Are you going to Lubbock? I shot next to you at the plates last year and it was a little un-nerving. It sounded like a machine gun.

Again thanks, Max

15. GLW

GLW

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll make it to Lubbock again this year. It was a great match last year and I'm sorry I won't be there. A number of my teammates will carry the colors though and I look forward to hearing all about it.

I hope you can make it to Lexington, KY the weekend after Lubbock. I'll see you there if you do. Shoot straight and I'll see you on the range.

Grady

16. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

After arriving home from Conyers, it's seems that I have had no time available. I'm finally getting around to posting to some of the threads.

As for the guns that I shoot...............

Master Stock
    First Generation G17. All original parts except a Rhea Gun GSSF legal trigger kit. The frame and slide have recently been coated by R&J Performance Coatings from Lubbock, TX. Website www.randjperformancecoatings.com I currently use an Ameriglo thin front sight blade with a Dawson rear sight but have decided to install a new Ameriglo rear fixed sight with a wide notch for my future shooting. In fact, I'm going to use Ameriglo sights for all my guns. I'm convinced that Ameriglo offers the best variety for all your shooting needs plus they are high quality at a fair price. www.ameriglo.com

Unlimited
    I have always shot a G34 with a BarSto 17L barrel. My G34 has a CARVER Competition mount using a CMore sight. The trigger is a Rhea Gun 2.0 pound trigger. For reliable ejection, I use a Rhea Gun extended ejector and I have my ejection port lowered by .100". To add additional weight, I use a Novak Big Mouth SS magwell.

Like Grady, I have had intentions to use a G21 but have not pursued the endeavor yet. With the times becoming faster, I have continued to pursue the quest for the "fastest" gun. In fact, I have began to use compensated Glocks with success. I have found that using either an SJC compensator or Novak compensator with a G17 is a great combination.

Once you find a model and caliber that you feel comfortable shooting and are confident of your ability with that model, I would suggest that you use that model in your GSSF match.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby Carver

17. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Thanks Don! Quality pics, neat hardware. :thumbsup:

Oh, Gary, I hear ya! Them things are good as...

[​IMG]

:patriot:

18. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

I'm shooting a G37 in Master Stock and an Unlimited G37 in Unlimited Master and G39 in Master Major Sub.;)

Dan:cool:

19. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

Thanks for the replies Bobby and DEJ/FL.

DEJ/FL, what type of load do you use?

20. gary newport

gary newport

Dan, you're my hero! But how do you deal with the "separation anxiety" of leaving all that GAP brass behind?