Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Battle Born
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put together a small med kit to put in my Bug Out Bag. I don't have a dedicated med kit in there, although some stuff could be used for medical reasons.

My bag is actually a small camel back type of bag. Only weighs about 15 pounds when packed to the brim and I don't have a lot of room to add much more but I need some kind of med kit in there.

I take this bag with me anytime I so much as leave town for half a day. I use it often and have come up with stuff to put in there based on personal experience.

I've never put together a med kit, so what should I have in it, keeping in mind that there's not much room left. What is in your med kit?

Any other ideas of stuff that I absolutely need in there? I've put this bag together with stuff I use regularly and some other stuff that I think I might need in certain scenarios.

Here's what is in it right now:

Small binoculars
Ibuprofen
Caffeine pills
Phone charger (wall and car)
Super Glue (for small cuts)
Toilet Paper
Playing Cards
2 Fire Starters (flint and steel, 2x lighters)
Pair of gloves
Beanie
Face Mask (those 3 things make a huge difference for me in cold weather, face mask is great for dusty conditions too)
3 Clif Bars
Trail mix
Some candy
Rubber gloves
toothbrush
CRKT Desert Cruiser
Surefire 6P LED Defender
Cree Mini LED (takes one AA)
Spare batteries
Ear plugs
CRKT eat'n tool
100 feet of paracord
zip ties

Glock 43 w/ 2 spare mags.

Of course I fill the blatter with water regularly as well.

Need some suggestions on what to add, specifically with medical in mind, but other suggestions are welcome.

· Registered
7,262 Posts
Rule #1 of medical gear - Never get anything you don't know how to use.

That said, in my main bag, I keep an Adventure Medical Kits personal sized kit. Small, light, nice selection of gear.

As always - how long/how far is this bag designed to go, what situations, and what do you want? I have augmented with dental gear and some things. But overall, for a small basic kit I leave it to the pro's.

You can always get more for cheap, but I think it is really easy to go overboard then.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
Minimum:
Gloves (Latex or Nitrile)
Waterproof band-aids
Moleskin
4x4 gauze pads
Alcohol wipes
Antibiotic Cream
Water-Jel Burn Dressing (This is THE BEST stuff for burns if used immediately)
Tweezers
Trauma Pad, 5"x9"
Surgical Tape, 1"x1.5 yd
QuikClot Combat Gauze or equivalent
Tourniquet
Chest Seal or material to make one (if you have that knowledge)

Recommended:
anti-diarrheal packet (Immodium or equivalent
Tylenol packets
antacid packets
antihistimine packet
electrolyte mix packet

Reactions: mrasgt

· Registered
1,684 Posts

· Registered
35,067 Posts
I would replace the super glue with a few yards of gorilla tape. Or you could put a vial of new skin for the minor cuts.

I've found that Benadryl is good all around antihistamine, I just wish they make it in 6.25mg tablets. I've found, for me at least, that dose is enough to suppress histimine release but without the drowsiness often associated with Benadryl. If you needed more, you could take 4-8 tablet, IF they were 6.25mg only.

It is a real multitasker.

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
In addition to Phone charger (wall and car), I would get a AA charger pack. This way you can power up without having to find power. The most likely issue you will have now days will require you to have a powered up phone.

Tylenol, colds, and fevers
Decongestant
Nyquil/dayquil for the heavier cold/flue

AND I don't see anything for purifying water. Get a nalgene stainless steel bottle, capcap, rig with stainless wire. This allows you to boil water. You can put your medical supplies in this container until you need it.

Reactions: ancient_serpent

· Battle Born
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In addition to Phone charger (wall and car), I would get a AA charger pack. This way you can power up without having to find power. The most likely issue you will have now days will require you to have a powered up phone.

Tylenol, colds, and fevers
Decongestant
Nyquil/dayquil for the heavier cold/flue

AND I don't see anything for purifying water. Get a nalgene stainless steel bottle, capcap, rig with stainless wire. This allows you to boil water. You can put your medical supplies in this container until you need it.
I probably should consider taking a form of water purification with me but I usually take water along with me. I have no room for anything like that Nalgene bottle you suggested, but something smaller might be in order.

As for the charger, I carry a portable power bank in my laptop bag, and that goes most places with me. I might want to throw it in my BOB sometimes though.

Appreciate all the other responses as well. I will be adding some stuff based on your suggestions!

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
I probably should consider taking a form of water purification with me but I usually take water along with me. I have no room for anything like that Nalgene bottle you suggested, but something smaller might be in order.

As for the charger, I carry a portable power bank in my laptop bag, and that goes most places with me. I might want to throw it in my BOB sometimes though.

Appreciate all the other responses as well. I will be adding some stuff based on your suggestions!
The idea of the Nalgene bottle is that it takes almost no space because you fill it with stuff that you already planned on carrying. I did this with medical supplies. This way when the bag was submerged, the bandages and such didn't get soaked. Of course after SHTF, you need a clip so you can fill it up and carry more water if needed.

I would switch the chargers from the BOB to the laptop bag and the batteries to the BOB. IF you have the laptop, you have power. If you have the BOB you don't have power. Or to put it a different way. My laptop bag is for civilized world. Where as the BOB is for running through the woods with someone chasing me. But that is just me.

And everyone's BOB is different. You live in a different part of the country than I. I can go through a couple gallons of water in a hard hot day. I wouldn't want to stop and boil more water.

· Battle Born
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The idea of the Nalgene bottle is that it takes almost no space because you fill it with stuff that you already planned on carrying. I did this with medical supplies. This way when the bag was submerged, the bandages and such didn't get soaked. Of course after SHTF, you need a clip so you can fill it up and carry more water if needed.

I would switch the chargers from the BOB to the laptop bag and the batteries to the BOB. IF you have the laptop, you have power. If you have the BOB you don't have power. Or to put it a different way. My laptop bag is for civilized world. Where as the BOB is for running through the woods with someone chasing me. But that is just me.

And everyone's BOB is different. You live in a different part of the country than I. I can go through a couple gallons of water in a hard hot day. I wouldn't want to stop and boil more water.
Problem is that that bottle wouldn't fit in my pack even if I took out everything and had nothing else in it. At least not without deforming my pack. I'd have to look at a different option.

Generally, I don't think of this pack as a means of providing me with much water. The water in this pack is great for convenience sake, but I have to take large amounts of water anywhere I go if I get away from civilization because finding water just isn't likely for me in much of my area. Finding water is gonna be a much harder task for me than finding a container in most cases actually.

In fact, here in the desert, water in and of itself is a huge prep, so I bring a cooler almost anytime I go anywhere outside of town.

I have another power bank sitting around the house that doesn't get used much. Maybe I will put that in my BOB. The one in my laptop bag gets used too often for me to not have one in there most of the time.

· Registered
5,457 Posts
I would add a water filter, metal cup or preferably a pot capable of boiling enough water to fill a canteen.

My vehicle kit is what I consider my bob. It has water, dry food, canteen with metal canteen cup, first aide kit, fire starter, cord, gloves, small axe, bucksaw, knife, boots & socks, hat, jacket, blanket, tarp, candle, flashlight, headlamp and what ever else is inside my vehicle on any given day.

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
Problem is that that bottle wouldn't fit in my pack even if I took out everything and had nothing else in it. At least not without deforming my pack. I'd have to look at a different option.

Generally, I don't think of this pack as a means of providing me with much water. The water in this pack is great for convenience sake, but I have to take large amounts of water anywhere I go if I get away from civilization because finding water just isn't likely for me in much of my area. Finding water is gonna be a much harder task for me than finding a container in most cases actually.

In fact, here in the desert, water in and of itself is a huge prep, so I bring a cooler almost anytime I go anywhere outside of town.

I have another power bank sitting around the house that doesn't get used much. Maybe I will put that in my BOB. The one in my laptop bag gets used too often for me to not have one in there most of the time.
Ah, you are doing something different with your BOB than I.

I see water everywhere, but none is fit to drink.
My smallest BOB is also larger, but not packed tight. There is a need to keep a light jacket (wind/rain resistant).
Then I get into the over night heavier bag.

· Millenium #3936
6,686 Posts
I would never suggest that a person [not] carry something they feel they should but I will tell you my personal idea of a BOB med kit. I focus on issue that I feel may cause substantial problems for me if not mitigated immediately. I do not focus on nuisance issues or issues that may be a problem a week from now. To that end I carry the following:

Israeli bandages (2)
cat tourniquet (1)
large 3m wound strips (20)
self adhering gauze wrap
gauze pads (6)
tape
sam splint
ace bandage w/ clips
abdominal pads (4)
knife, flashlight, lighter
1 bottle of water w/ squirt cap
2 small towels or infant diapers
particulate mask
safety glasses
mechanix gloves
life straw

Reactions: nursetim

· Millenium #3936
6,686 Posts
I know we are talking primarily about a med kit but I will say that WATER is a critical element in general. I cant say enough about the importance of having water, carrying water, retrieving water and making it safe. It may be a subject for another thread but hydration is something that needs to be addressed properly.

Reactions: nursetim

· Registered
13,840 Posts
Rule #1 of medical gear - Never get anything you don't know how to use.
I'd argue that this is not a hard rule. You may not be the person using the medical gear. There might be a medical professional in your group, or nearby. This happens all the time during traffic accidents - people pull out their medical gear and a nurse/EMT/doctor/paramedic that's off duty stops and uses that gear.

Do you need binoculars and playing cards? If it were me I'd remove them to free up space for more essential items like additional water or medical gear.

It's good that your BOB is around the 15lb mark. A lot of people carry these 50lb behemoths filled with crap they're never going to use.

Reactions: happie2shoot

· Millenium #3936
6,686 Posts
what do people typically need to bolster their ability to survive most circumstances?

WATER, WATER, WATER
Protection from heat, cold or wet
Protection from violence
Ability to make fire
Ability to make light
Ability to tend injury
Ability to cut, cord, dig and bind
Ability to receive information
Ability to communicate with others
Ability to maintain proper hygiene
Ability to protect eyes, hands, feet, lungs and head
MOBILITY/ Transportation
FOOD

· Registered
14,686 Posts
15 pounds is about as much as is reasonable to carry for most everybody. I opted to go for a monocular instead of binoculars (every little bit helps). Another thing I opted for was an IFAK, easy way out, since I can get refills pretty cheap and am not extensively trained.
Zip ties are also in my pack, weigh almost nothing and can be handy.

· Battle Born
12,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd argue that this is not a hard rule. You may not be the person using the medical gear. There might be a medical professional in your group, or nearby. This happens all the time during traffic accidents - people pull out their medical gear and a nurse/EMT/doctor/paramedic that's off duty stops and uses that gear.

Do you need binoculars and playing cards? If it were me I'd remove them to free up space for more essential items like additional water or medical gear.

It's good that your BOB is around the 15lb mark. A lot of people carry these 50lb behemoths filled with crap they're never going to use.
I use both of those items regularly - so they are pretty important to me, and although they are not there specifically for survivals sake, they have a place in a survival situation.

As I stated previously about the water - I usually take water with me, completely separate from my BOB, when I travel (in a cooler) - so water isn't super high on my list of things I need to add to my bag.

I agree with you about medical supplies. I have a lot of nurses and doctors in my family, so even though that's not my thing, they would know what to do...

I've gotten some good ideas from this thread though so I appreciate everyone's feedback.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.