close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do I have to do

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by XD9INHAND, Mar 19, 2006.

1. XD9INHAND

XD9INHAND Master Blaster

I am dedicated to a career in firefighting, but I havent even gotten started. I am in Dallas and I was hoping for some feedback on what steps I should take on starting out. I know I need college hours but are there any other things that might help me get my foot in the door somewhere.

2. afdrookie

afdrookie

Take tests, Take tests, Take tests, and when you do that Take more tests!!!!! ie. entrance exams

3. Pa Glock guy

Pa Glock guy

Just like afdrookie said, take tests. But before you do make sure you do some research. See what is kind of physical agility test they hold and practice for it. Walk, job, lift weights, etc. Go to a stadium if you can and run up and down the steps to improve your body. You dont need to be a muscle man to do this job but be in shape especially for the test. Most depts. have a written exam as well. You may get a packet of info when you apply, read it and do the sample test. There are some books out there that are sample civil service exams. They wont be the exact same questions on the test youll be taking but they are the same type of questions and will give you an idea what type of questions they ask. Im sure youll get interviewed, make sure you look the part. Clean cut, short hair, no piercings, etc. There are also some books out there about interviewing. I live in PA but im sure there are alot more career depts in Texas, give them a call and see when the tests are. Most of all keep a positive attitude and dont get discouraged!! Good luck. If I can help you in any way give me a PM. Scott

4. XD9INHAND

XD9INHAND Master Blaster

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the positive feedback. I know I've got a ways to go but it would take an act of God to keep me from this career. About three months ago I had no idea what i was going to do for a career and it just all of the sudden hit me that thats no doubt what I want to do. So since then I've been trying to work towards that goal. Hopefully I wont have to much trouble accomplishing it.

5. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23 Salty Collar

Do not let anything get in your way, and like they said, study and do research. Quit smoking/eating bad. Or any other bad habit you may have. Focus that on excercise and studying. Oh, and APPLY!

Jared

6. pmed23

pmed23

In addition to what the others have posted also consider becoming and EMT or even a paramedic ahead of time. Here in Iowa a lot of paid departments have made that a requirement to even apply. Plus, try to learn about any area you are applying. I've been on our last two hiring committees and pushing the customer service aspect is what gets people jobs around here
    Brennan

7. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

It's been touched on already but definately work on you interviewing skills. I'd have 20+ years as a career firefighter if I could interview worth a darn. The written tests aren't that hard but around here they generaly have oral board interviews. It's kind of like being interogated by three to four people at the same time. You might consider joining a volunteer department if you live in one. There's always a group of guys that like you are dedicated to getting career positions. Hook up with them and it will help you out. These guys help each other study and prepare for interviews. They will also compare notes after taking written exams and add the questions the remember to their studies. Plus, being a volunteer will help you find out if you are really cut out for the job. An awful lot of guys decide it's their dream job then discover that they can't handle the stress of seeing people mangled or killed, or freak out in a fire. I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out a reality that I've seen play out many times in the last 24+ years.

8. BroBrandonB

BroBrandonB In God We Trust

get used to being underpaid, under-appreciated, undercompensated, hungry, tired, hot, overworked, underfunded and ignored by the general public that you serve. That'll prepare you. Sorry, feeling kinda cynical right now....

9. TxFire

TxFire

Check around and see what the departments you are interested in are requiring. Most departments now have a Recruiter that can give you the low-down and some tips. I reccomend you take as many test as possible. You are going to have to score HIGH. Unless you are dead set on one department look everywhere. Do not turn down a position unless you have another one.

I was dead set on one department and it took me 3 years to get on. That was with me scoring very well each year and going through the entire process each time, just not missing getting hire the 2nd time by ONE person.

I reccomend at least SOME college. Most departments require 45-60 hrs in the Dallas area. Althought the second largest city in Dallas county and the best department in my opinion does NOT require any college YET!! I'll give you a hint the city starts with a G.

PM me if you need any more!

10. XD9INHAND

XD9INHAND Master Blaster

Hey thanks TxFire, I called them and sure enough you were right. They start hiring in june, so Ive got a lot of work to do. Wish me luck.

11. TxFire

TxFire

Good luck man. It is a GREAT career if you can get in. I love my job and I love working in my particular City also. We are treated VERY well.

As some additional info, if after a while you find yourself limited by some departments requiring you to be certified prior to hire then Collin County Community College has an EXCELLENT Fire Academy in McKinney. FYI that is where our recruits now go. I do not reccomend you go out and spend the money and time to get certified initially as most departments will put you through all training and may require you to go through it even if you are certified already. So unless it becomes a limiting factor, let the City flip the bill on ALL you training and certifications.
    :ffighter:

12. ironmind

ironmind

don't waste your time taking any tests unless you are dedicted to studying for them. That doesn'e mean three days before the exam for a few hours here and there. That means as part of your daily or weekly routine test or no, you sudy. Then you get hired, then watse your time off on drinking and loose women- and collecting more glocks of course!