What do I do with this RCBS powder measure?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Laramie In MT, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Take it easy...I'm a noob :)

Got an RCBS JR2 and a few other odds and ends for free.

Can this be threaded onto a die, or is it only a bench mount powder measure?

[​IMG]

2. buyobuyo

buyobuyo

Pretty sure that's a Lyman 55 measure. It looks just like the one I have. I made a weighted stand mine that it clamps onto. You could also make a stand that the drop tube screws into. If you don't want to make something, Lyman sells a stand for it.

3. srd

srd

From the looks of the deisign thats an older powder measure which there is nothing wrong with. Looks like bench mount only to me. When its free its even better.

4. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Thanks all. It really looks similar to the Lyman 55 on Midway so I bet ya'll are right, just an older version. What's the little "knocker" on the back for? Held in just by a cotter pin. It is just to vibrate and knock any powder loose?

5. dudel

dudel

That's a bench mount dump.

Before you get all excited, check the drum and chamber for rust and pitting. You want a rust free, smooth surface or it will leak powder, throw inconsistent powder, jam, and do other things that will get you hating life.

6. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Good to know. I sure will check it out before I'm relying on it. If the insides look good and I double check charges w/ my RCBS 5-0-5 and it's throwing the same charge, call it good?

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If it's all rusted inside paint it blue, tell C4W it's a Dillon and sell it to him for a hundred bucks.

Jack

8. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

:rofl:

Bob

9. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Correct. If used properly, throw the powder, then use the "knocker" to strike the housing once or twice to ensure there is no powder bridging in the unit.

Whatever you do, be very consistent in your throws and knocks so that you dispense the most consistent powder charges. I have one, received as a gift back in the early 80's, which I still use in conbination with my single stage for certain cartridges. I have a routine where I simply knock the throw handle twice in the down position and twice in the up position so that I don't have to use the knocker. Again, be consistent in your routine.

10. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Thanks!

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Why in the world would I want a bench mounted Powder Measure? Dillon don't make one so I obviously don't need one.

12. dudel

dudel

Sounds good to go.

13. sourdough44

sourdough44

I'd start with a good cleaning & rust removal. After that the areas that don't contact the powder could use a light coat of oil.

14. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Just wondering,,
    do they make a single stage press?

Bob :supergrin:

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

What do you need that for when you got this.

[​IMG]

:supergrin::supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  16. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

Man thats nice, a shiny gold ball and everything!

But for the same money you could get 10 Lee Single Stage Presses or 7 Rock Chuckers, including the paint you would still have $ left over!

Just tossin out some options,,

:tongueout:

Bob

17. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Well I own a Single Stage now thanks to Jack. So I guess I can't say "I don't need one" anymore.

18. Fritzer

Fritzer

That can be press mounted with the Lyman 7/8"-14 Thread Adapter.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=176245&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=9315

Most of the measure moving parts are brass, I guess there could be some rust on the inside of the casting, but mine are plenty old and not rusted.
    I bought one used, and just used some brass polish to make the slide for the charge adjustment move smoothly.

The method that I was shown, when mounted in the adapter on the powder-through expanding die on the Lyman T-Mag turret press...
    http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000157767901

You can flare the primed case, powder charge, (Turn-nit) place the bullet & seat/crimp.

As was mentioned before make your powder charge routine exactly the same, leave the powder knob UP - perform one full charge cycle on the knob, then flick the knocker with the same force and motion every time. I flip mine up with my finger hard enough to hit the measure body on the up swing, then the weight hits the bottom too on the return.

I have good results in rifle and pistol with ball powders from Hodgdon, Winchester, or AA.

The nifty little 'c-clamp' section allows you to remove the measure from your press and securely clamp it to a shelf out of the way if you need to fuss with the press for some other reason. The clamp is on the 'back' for us right-handers & the knocker is on the front.

I don't know how this would benefit a single stage - but you have to flare the case mouth at some point. I guess you could flare & charge with powder then set in a loading block for your next step in the press.

They have worked out well for me, I like the little buggers!
    Fritz.

19. Laramie In MT

Laramie In MT

Great info! Thanks...

20. fredj338

fredj338

WOw Laramie, I thought my RCBS DUO Measuer was old. I think several die makers have adapters for measure.