close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What do do with THIS? (plumbers/old tools/handymen)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Jan 7, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

I've been cleaning out my workbench, because my mother will be moving in a couple months. Have this pile of pipe fittings and there is no way ill use them myself. I love hoarding this sort of thing, because "you never know..":whistling:

[​IMG]
    Anyway, think they are worth enough to try selling?

what about this large bench vice(6-8"), and hand-cranked grinding wheel..any guesses of value?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm kinda hoping you will all say not to sell this stuff, and that its worth more to keep myself... because having 2 bench vices is cooler than one. :supergrin:

2. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Sell that copper as scrap...not sure about the other two but that vise is surely servicable.

3. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

looks like brass to me

4. ranger56528

ranger56528

Keep the line couplers that are in there and sell the rest,grinding wheel is kinda cool...Give the Vice to a friend....

5. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

That brass would be worth a few bucks as scrap. Try a plumbing salvage before settling on scrap price.

Hang on to that Cleveland vise. They don't make them like that anymore. Well, they do, but the cost $$$. Don't know about the grinder. Research the brand. It might be of interest to an antique tool collector if it's old enough and from a respectable manufacturer.

Enjoy your time with Moms.

6. BEER

BEER bad example

keep the vice and the manual grinder. a vice is always good to have, and the grinder will definitley be useful in emergency situations where there's no power, doubly so since it's relatively small and portable and can be mounted to just about any flat surface. as a matter of fact now that you've reminded me those things exist i have to pick two up to go in the bug out vehicle and up at the cabin.

personally i'd recycle the fittings, unless you're a smoker in which case you might want to fashion a couple of smoking pipes for tobacco. loose tobacco is much easier to store and transport in a "safe" manner than a pack of pre-rolled smokes.

7. Kabarred

Kabarred

The grinding wheel is pretty neat, I would keep that and get rid of the fittings. If you wanted, you could always sand blast the vise. A little paint and some JB 80, and it will be good as new!

8. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Don't clean up the grinder or any "antique" that might have any value whatsoever. Often times the original patina is worth FAR more than any wire brush and lacquer job could be.

9. Kabarred

Kabarred

If he sells it..

10. bcmclane

bcmclane

You're not going to get much for that if scrapped. I'd post an ad on Craigslist with a picture and ask for XXX dollars for the whole box. The vise in it's current condition is maybe worth $25-$35? The grinding wheel really isn't worth anything unless you can find someone that collects old tools.

11. chris in va

chris in va

Good call on Craigslist. You never know. May take a couple weeks.

12. Captain America

Captain America

I'll give ya $10 for the grinder if it works.