close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what division should I shoot?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by MarcD, Jan 2, 2005.

1. MarcD

MarcD

I am planning on shooting in my first GSSF with my new christmas present (a G26). I am Active duty Air Force, Should I shoot AMATEUR CIVILIAN or AMATEUR GUARDIAN? Do I have a choice, or do I have to shoot in the GUARDIAN class since I'm in the Military??? My only real goal is to have fun but is there any advantage in one class over the other? I'll also shoot in the sub class.
    Thanks,
    MarcD

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Unless you shoot sub 100 I'm not sure there's that much difference except that AmCiv always has three classes. Frequently AmGuardian only has one or two. Go to www.gssfonline.com and check past matches for scores, that might help you make up your mind. Actually you can shoot your 26 in all the Categories except Major Sub.

3. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

Statistically / historically, you stand a better chance of picking up some cash in Guardian class. I imagine the smaller the match, the smaller the disparity, but as an example, here is 2004 INDY:

AC = 120 shooters / 30 prizes = 4 shooters per prize.

G = 30 shooters / 20 prizes = 1.5 shooters per prize.

Shooter ABILITY is about the same, if you will be finishing in the "A" class . . .

4. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Looking over the results from 2004, the Jacksonville match had 136 entries in "Civilian" and they paid out all three "A, B, C" classes. That means 30 awards went to 136 people (22%). There were 36 then-"LE" entries and they paid "A and B". In other words, 20 awards to 36 people (56%). Likewise at Orlando, there were 104 "Civilian", also paying out 30 "A, B, C" awards to those 104 (29%). There were 18 then-"LE" entries and they paid out 10 "A" awards only to those 18 (again, 56%). It appears to me that your odds of taking home a prize are better in "Guardian" than they are in "Civilian".

5. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Yep; fewer shooters in the division usually and number of shooters within a 'class' fewer. A concession I imagine (worthwhile IMO) to those who are our Guardians, LE, FD & MIL. Thanks for your service!
    ;?

BTW, Jerry's right in that you could shoot your 26 in more than 1 division, perhaps Sub-Compact Div as a warmup and then shoot Guardian where the prize odds are a little better. But have fun, that's what it's all about. ;f