What distance do you normally shoot your AK with IRON sights

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Z71bill, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just put a rear peep sight & front night sight on one of my AKs -

I set up a target at 50 yards and after a couple adjustments was (pretty much) consistently hitting inside an eight inch target (shooting standing up).

I then walked out the 225 yards and placed 10 clay targets (4.25 inch - type used with a shot gun) directly on the berm.

I shot 60 rounds - some standing / some sitting and although I was always really close to my target - only actually hit about 1/2 of them.

Once I hit a clay that I was not aiming at - should have spread them out a little more. :embarassed:

Got me to thinking -

What sort of distance do you normally shoot & what level of accuracy do you get with your AK using iron sights?

Does a peep sight qualify as an iron sight? :dunno:

I am really talking about NOT using a scope or other optics.

2. gh0st614

gh0st614

Could pretty much hit clay pigeons at 100yrds all day with mine, its a cheap romanian too.

Just curious did you ever use the rear sight adjustment? I never really messed with it since I dont have anyplace to really shoot that far.

The AK really shines 100 and under I think. If I was engaging targets regularly at 300 yards I would want a AR in any flavor 5.56, 6.8, .308

3. banger

banger

What is this "accuracy" thing you speak of with an AK.

Basically, an AK that shoots a 4" group at 100 yds is considered somewhat as "match grade".

You than mark off more than twice that distance and attempt to hit a 4" target.

ANY HITS are purely coincidental.

As a straight answer, you have exceeded the capability of the rifle.

BTW, a scope will not help, It is still a 4"/100yd rifle. A scope only allows you to better see the targets that can not reliably be hit.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Heck, I shoot my handguns out to 200+ yards. There's no reason my AK's wouldn't be shot at that distance. Clay pigeons at that range are outside where you should expect 100% hits, but so what? It's probably a 50/50 proposition with my AK's (enough to keep me interested), and it's excellent practice.

A 35 gallon drum at 200-300 yards is probably more realistic if you expect 100% hits. It's about the size of a torso, and is within the range that the AKM was designed to operate in. An Ultimak mount with an Aimpoint or Eotech makes it a lot easier though.

5. Nicoroshi

Nicoroshi Avid Shooter

I normally shoot at 50 or 100 yards.
    Standing at 50 I can keep them in an 8" ring.
    Normally rest on my elbows sitting to shoot at 100 yards but can normally keep them in an 8" ring doing that also.
    My belief is there is a great variance in the ammo I shoot (steel case wolf, golden tiger, etc).
    I also believe that an AK does exactly what it was intended to do. Hit a man sized target at 300 yards or less while being incredibly reliable.
    Certainly not a rifle I would shoot a match with but man what a fun plinker!

For comparison:

AK (1986 Romy 'G' I built) 100 yards sitting resting elbows on bench 30 rounds iron sighted:
    [​IMG]

M1 Garand 100 yards sitting with elbows on bench 8 rounds iron sighted:

[​IMG]

AR-15 in 6.8SPC on bipod sitting with 9x scope 10 rounds @ 100 yards (hand loaded 90gr Speer TNT):

[​IMG]

All will get the job done IMHO.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

I put on this rear sight -

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=432163

My stock rear sight was messed up - this peep sight seems much better.

I messed with the rear sight adjustment a little - but will need to do some more with it before I can tell for sure how many clicks I need to adjust per 50 yards -

Think from 50 to 225 yards = 3 clicks up so ~~1 click = 50 yards. :dunno:

It started raining like crazy so I left the range early -

I did not expect great accuracy at 225 yards - just wondering what was normal - the front sight completely covers up a 4.25 inch target at that distance - :dunno:

I feel pretty confident I could hit a slow moving zombie 95% of the time at 200 yards or less - at 100 yards even a fast moving zombie would not stand a chance - under 50 yards head shots would be easy. :supergrin:

This is my $275 AK - I knew it had a canted front sight when I bought it (used) / which is why the guy wanted to get rid of it - I knew that was an easy fix - I didn't know the rear sight was messed up - I figure the guy bent the "ear" trying to compensate for the canted front sight. :upeyes:

Next time I will concentrate at 100 yards -

7. Aceman

Aceman

Anywhere from 25-75. After that, I'm happy if I hit the paper. Which, is "effective" IMO.

My arsenal 107..that's another story....and of course, there is a scope on that. And it will shoot that well.

8. my762buzz

my762buzz

Well, when people go the cheap route and buy a WASR 10 and expect it to
    perform like a Valmet, Vepr, or even a Saiga/SGL sometimes they end up realizing that maybe it wasn't such a great bargain after all.
    Sure if you go to a junk yard and piece together a cheap running car out of parts it may work ok but its not going to perform like a new sports car.
    But hey, cheap is what fit the bill in the first place, right?
    Same could be said for optics. You get what you pay for.
    Don't expect a cheap red dot made in Taiwan to perform like an aimpoint
    made in sweden.

Yes, thats exactly what I am saying.

Its not a fair comparison. Your AR using a bipod (better stability than handheld), a scope which always helps see better,
    and the ammo qualtiy is much better than el junco wolf or similar.

Anyway, maybe if you guys steady the gun better, use better ammo, and maybe use a real scope you can see the rifle's
    true potential. Keeping the barrel from heating up to fast also makes a difference.

9. my762buzz

my762buzz

A peep sight and a narrower post can help.

A standard front sight post covers too much of a paper target at 100 yards. A more narrow post allows you to place it closer to the center and not block
    as much. A standard front is about 0.075. I been able to shave one as thin as 0.015 at the tip and the width that narrow only covers a few inches at 100 yards as opposed to most of a 12x12 paper target. And, just food for thought, if your standard post happens to cover 16 inches wide at 100 yards, that should continue to 32 inches at 200, and 48 inches at 300 yards. By narrowing the front post to 1/4 the original width, you get a 12 inch shadow
    at your 300 yard view which is easier to place on a target more precisely. The farther you shoot away your sights are usually less accurate than the gun itself due to the sight geometry. This is why a longer sight radius helps. Improving your sights allows you to become better with the rifle's inherent accuracy. I saw an episode of American Shooter where someone with a snubnosed .38 special revolver extended his sights 4 inches beyond the barrel and shot a 18 inch balloon 200 yards away. The same guy used a short barrel .44 magnum revolver also with extended sights and hit the balloon 400 yards away. Better sights and more practice will help build your skill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. turbobrian

turbobrian

11. Jmzzl

Jmzzl AK User

I haven't had a chance to do some serious shooting with my AK yet, but I think I'd be willing to go out to 100-150 yards. Anything less than 100 is cake!

12. Novocaine

Novocaine

25 and 100 yards. But I think scoring hits on a man-sized target at 300 meters with an iron sighted AK is still more a function of skill than that of luck.

13. Glocker08

Glocker08

14. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

100 yards for me for all my AKs except my Hungarian Fire Dragon (AMD-65). That one gets shot at 50 yards, 75 if I feel unusually lucky.

15. War Hammer

War Hammer

That's complete and utter BS. Either you've never actually shot an AK, your sights have never been adjusted correctly or you are just a lousy shot.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  16. LSU Snapperhead

LSU Snapperhead

The range I go to has 1 100 meter berm. I figure the russians use the metric system.:whistling:

17. andyffer

andyffer

Im going to an indoor range today so I'll post up what it can do at 75ft lol

18. Mofeen

Mofeen

When zeroing in a new AK, do you shoot from a bench or shoot while standing? Sorry, new to rifles. Thanks guys.

19. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

200yds and under.

I see no reason to shoot my AK's farther than 200yds.

:cool:

20. Novocaine

Novocaine

From the bench. Army-standard sight-in for AKM is prone, range 100 meters, sight set at "3", point of impact 25 centimeters (10 inches) higher than point of aim. The target is vertically placed A-sized black rectangle on a white background. You aim at the middle of the lower edge of the rectangle. You shoot groups of four, find the geometric center of the group and look how far this center is from the point of where it should be. Good luck.