close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What dies to use for .223 in a progressive press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cysoto, Apr 13, 2014.

1. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

What die set do you guys use for .223 Rem reloading in a progressive press? I'll be using mixed brass and shooting this ammo in a carbine class where we won't be shooting past 75 yards so I don't need the resulting ammo to be super-accurate but it does need to feed very consistently.

2. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

I use the RCBS X-Die. Follow initial sizing & trimming it allows you to reload without trimming.

I use Hornady dies for bullet seating due to the alignment sleeve.

3. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Dillon carbide resize and Redding seat and body die.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I guess I'll ask... Which 'progressive' press?

If you are running a 650, for example, you can probably afford the Dillon power trimmer and a separate toolhead. So, you size and trim in one pass (about 1400 cases per hour) and reload with a different toolhead (about 800 rounds per hour).

OTOH, there are less expensive ways to do the trim operation but they are MUCH slower. I have the RCBS X die but I haven't used it. Even with that die, you still need some way to trim the brass after the first sizing. Since you only need to do it once, a slower method will be fine.

Richard

5. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

I have RCBS dies, including the X Die. To use the X feature, you must initially trim to 1.74". Then you use the X mandrel to keep the brass from growing. The issue I have with it is that you need to have some way of knowing what has been trimmed in that manner before you use the X feature otherwise you can buckle the shoulder. My range has a lot of 223 pickups, so I am always getting brass that's not mine in with the lot.

I've tried coloring the case head with a sharpie, but that gets tedious. In the end, I've just stopped trying to deal with the X feature.

I am looking at the RCBS competition seater die to replace the regular seating die that I use. They have a new one with a bushing like Redding dies. I like how it has that window thingy for placing bullets. 55 gr .224 bullets are small.

6. dkf

dkf

I use the SB X die for sizing. The decapper on it is frail though. The RCBS seater die that comes with the set sucks IMO so I use a Lee.

7. RustyFN

RustyFN

I use the Lee pacesetter die set for 223 on my progressive.

8. steve1911

steve1911

I use the Dillon carbide dies.

1911club#410

9. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

I just sit in front of the TV and mark them by drawing a ring around the primer. When I come home from the range I just sort them. Not a problem for me.

10. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Funny. I did about 500 like that recently. Shot a bunch of them at the range. Found a nice haul of range pickups then absent-mindedly put them in the tumbler together. Sharpie worn off, and back to square 1.

11. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Lee dies.

For marking purposes to keep from having to prep brass that I had previously prepped, I lay the loaded ammo out on the bench and drag a Sharpie across the bottoms. Single line is enough to let me know what brass is mine. I also try to remember to use the UTG brass catcher. When I remember it, there is no confusion as to what brass was mine.

12. fredj338

fredj338

I am using the RCBS 'X' dies in my 550B. I like only having to trim once. I shoot my ammo in 3 diff AR, all are GTG.

13. dkf

dkf

I use the Caldwell catcher on my AR. It works well on the bench but is kind of a pain when moving and shooting. Picking up brass is a pain.

I don't do it on my brass but I suppose you could take a triangular needle file and make a small mark on the back side of the rim to designate already trimmed brass. The mark will not come off in the tumbler.

14. kostnerave

kostnerave

I use Lee carbide dies on all my rifle reloads. The money you save spend on a Possum Hollow Kwik case trimmer. A great tool for the price.

15. fredj338

fredj338

Too much work. I just Sharpie the case heads. If I find any non marked brass, it goes in the unprocessed bin.

16. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

I wasn't satisfied with the Dillon dies in .223 so I switched to Redding Pro dies. Big improvement.