What did you think of Far Cry?

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by fastvfr, Aug 12, 2004.

1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hey, all--

I really liked the graphics and eye candy, but I was sort of put off by the gameplay and story line.

I mean, those Mercs must be from Krypton, seeing a hapless Jack through brick walls and whatnot. There also seemed to be some pretty long stretches w/o medpacks and ammo, too.

There were some interesting plot twists, though.

In all, I don't think it really earned the 90%-95% a lot of the review sites gave it; but it was definitely a 80%+!!

Anyone else play this game?

Best regards,

FastVFR

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I liked it until I got the the mutant monkeys. That turned me off of the game completely.

3. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

I guess you're talking about the "trigens"? Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. A few of them would be cool - adds a scary element - but at the stage of game I'm at now, you gotta kill a ton of them every other turn.

As a FPS, it's one of the best IMO. The AI and graphics are awesome!!

Forget multiplayer, tried it a couple of times when the game first released and didn't like it. It might've been improved since, but there are better games for online play that take my time.

4. Cancri

Cancri

I liked this game. Especially riding jeeps and shooting
    Ofter tough, remember the sinking boat level with helicopter shooting at you - nowhere to hide. There were many "loads" :)
    I didn't went straight forward, I liked discovering the islands.

And nice twist near the end also!

5. bigjim

bigjim

I'm a big fan. Been playing a few weeks, although I'll probably move on soon. I'm gonna beat GTAIII again then try to get through Vice City before the new one comes out.

6. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Engorged Member

I loved this game because it came out of nowhere and really upped the ante. Must say I was really really dissappointed with Doom 3 but loved Far Cry. Look forward to the mods for it coming out soon.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Fingolfin, what did you find unappealing about Doom 3?

Sure, it was like the first two with excellent graphics, but that was to be expected.

Was it the flashlight issue? ;P

Or perhaps the way the demons liked to gang up on your character?!

I really kind of liked it, to be honest...but I dug Far Cry more.

There's just something about those 1km.+ vistas that sent a shiver down the ol' spine the first time I played.

8. Fingolfin

Fingolfin Engorged Member

Doom 3 was ok, I was just dissappointed with the gameplay. Looked great, a huge amount of work went into the details of the game. However playing it seemed to lack much depth: go into a room, bad guy jumps out at you and you kill him. Repeat over and over. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot as I didn't play it all the way through, but it just didn't keep my interest.