close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

what defense ammo do you carry?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by jimbullet, Jul 14, 2006.

1. jimbullet

jimbullet

I just thought since I have very little experience with the 9mm cartridge and has been all my life a 45 guy, I just wanted to know what you guys carried as self defense ammo and probably if you have any inputs as to which defense ammo should I stay away from for a glock.

Presently, Im using the hornady xtp as defense ammo, but is the hydrashok, PMC starfire or the corbon dpx any better in your opinion?

2. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

im not a +p fan myself.

i believe the snappy recoil might inhibit shot placement on a shot to shot aspect. (i believe shot placement more important than expansion.)

so i stay away from corbons and other hot +p and +p+ loads.

i carry remington golden sabres, 147 gr.

3. isuzu

isuzu

For the .45 ACP, my favorite load is the 230gr Federal Hydra Shok. Very accurate. For the 9mm, 124 gr Federal Hydra Shok.

Some people criticize the Hydra Shok as "old and obsolete." For me, there's nothing wrong with these rounds as long as they perform to what they're expected to do.

4. jimbullet

jimbullet

Isuzu, Isnt the 230 gr hydrashok for the 45 kinda slow due to the weight of the bullet? My 45 normally had 180 gr heads on it either a silvertip or an xtp.

Anyway, is there such a thing as black talons for 9mm's? Any report on this ammo? positive or negative?

5. MR_BIG

MR_BIG

jim

sir youre opening a can of worms, its the weight that helps it in penetration but not too much to cause over penetration. velocity helps in expansion, too much velocity turns your typical jhp to a fmj thus overpenetration and even if it goes thru a person, a 230gr ball would give 2 big holes

6. rhino465

rhino465

Most of the modern jacketed hollow point bullets have excellent performance in test media and do well anecdotally in "real" shootings. Given that, I chose loads that were 1) 100% functional in my guns. From there, I chose the most accurate.

For my guns, that was ammo loaded with 124gr Speer Gold Dots for 9mm and 230gr Speer Gold Dots for .45ACP. The 230gr GD is exceptionally accurate! The loaded ammo is either Speer factory or from a smaller commercial loader in Georgia (USA), www.georgia-arms.com.

The Cor-Bon DPX loads seem to have a lot of promise, especially in terms of penetration through intermediate barriers (like glass and windshields), and still have excellent terminal perfomance. The DTI/John Farnam crew are pretty much sold on them after a lot of testing, so that's a significant endorsement.

7. isuzu

isuzu

Jimbullet, it isn't always velocity that count in a bullet. The 230 gr Hydrashok travelling at around 850 fps is more than adequate to generate effective bullet expansion. The bullet was designed to expand at that velocity. We've tested that on "saba" trunks and shot it lengthwise with the Hydrashoks. We recovered the bullet with the expansion that you see in their advertisement, and the inside of the saba trunk collapsed. I stick to this brand of ammo because they are 100% feed-reliable.

A friend of mine shot a dog infected with rabies in their farm. It took about two seconds for the dog to be incapacitated. We had the dog opened to see the damage, and parang na Osterize ang atay.

There were Black Talons for sale before, and they were replaced by Supreme T series, if I'm not mistaken.

Be wary, though of people offering you to sell Black Talons. There are a lot of fakes going around.

8. sundancekid

sundancekid

you're fine with the XTP ammo. i carry 147 grains XTP JHP on my G19. try to do a search on 'wetpack' on the ammo forum of GT to check out the performance of the XTP. :)

9. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

G27: Winchester Ranger LE 180g SXT

G26: Winchester Ranger LE 147g SXT

[​IMG]

10. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I did not find any 45 hollowpoint defensive ammo sa gun show. :sad: Anyone has suggestions what to get and where?

11. 9MX

9MX Rei!

[​IMG]

I use 9MX JHPs, 2 magazines, 17 rounds each. Hornady 124gr XTP heads, rolled by yours truly:cool:

And no, I haven't tested on wet telephone directories, but i've tested my loads' accuracy.:laughabove:

12. KevlarSix

KevlarSix Senior Member

Any comments on the Glaser Safety Slug? or maybe it's obsolete na? How about the Winchester Silvertip?

13. jimbullet

jimbullet

Glasers are good if your shooting in CQB to avoid ricochet. I believe the bullet shatters upon impact on other solid stuff like car glass and therefore will not be as effective.

Silvertips are accurate and has a good expansion too. I used these ammo with my 45.