What constitutes an "insultingly low" raise?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by doktor doom, Apr 3, 2012.

1. doktor doom

doktor doom

The company I work for is notorious for tiny raises during annual evaluations. Certain positions have wage ceilings. If you were initially hired closer to the ceiling for your position, your raise will be smaller than for an employee who was hired at a lower wage. Once you hit the ceiling for your position, your performance is immaterial, you cannot make any more money unless you are promoted to a different position.

Last year I got a 1.5% raise on my hourly wage. Is this "insultingly low?" This year (from what company veterans tell me) I can expect something similar.

For those of you who handle hiring at your workplaces, what would you think of a candidate who stated wage stagnation as a reason for leaving their former place of employment?

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

If we are "feeling" our way through this issue....people have not been getting much the way of raises for a few years now, 1.5% is actually a fair raise if the metric is "what is going on with everyone else"

For logic, it all depends. I dont have a clue what you do and how valuable your skill set is. You may, or may not already be making above average for your skills and location. You may be damned lucky to have a job because your kill set could be replaced by someone who would work for much less. You might be getting fornicated.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Tell it to the guy who got a 1.4% raise :whistling:

4. doktor doom

doktor doom

Fair enough, Rabbi. I'm not a government employee who believes that I should get a COLA every year just for showing up. But I have put in a fair amount of continuing ed at my own expense, and feel that I have put in more than an additional 1.5% of effort. I drive sales and am an important team member (if I do say so myself :whistling:), and am a "go to" source of info and expertise.

More importantly, is this seen by a potential employer as just griping, or a legitimate reason to leave a job?

I'm basically in sales, but in a non-commisioned role. Would a prospective employer see the desire to make more money (commensurate with hustle muscle) as a positive, or would I be written off as a malcontent who will just complain about how little I make?

5. azs2002

azs2002 Lock-N-Load

Many people are under pay freezes right now....at least 1.5% is SOME (small) acknowledgement of your value to the company

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

6. doktor doom

doktor doom

BTW certified, how dem mudbugs runnin dis year? What they goin' for a pound?
    I'm a NOLA boy, and the thing I miss the most about spring in La is dem berld bugs!

7. Rabbi

(Just my opinion) But a professional sales job that the pay isnt somehow tied to performance... You are either sales or you are not. If you want more money, actually move to sales (either there or somewhere) and leave support behind.

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

-100%

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

Then you're not in sales.

Don't get me wrong--there are lots and lots of people who have important functions who aren't salespeople--but if you don't eat what you kill, you're not in sales. You support sales.

Any employer who writes off a salesperson because they want to make more money is an idiot. Hungry salespeople make the best salespeople. Wanting to make money is the only reason to be in sales.

10. Cmacc

Cmacc

My wife is a secretary in a public high school. She got a $00.04 per hour raise last year. She is represented by the Teamsters Union but she is NOT a dues paying member so at least she didn't pay for that service. :rofl:

She is a public employee so we don't b*tch about it because we recognize that times are tough and it is good to have steady work at all. It is still a funny story to tell.

ETA- She makes +/- $12.50/hour so that is about a 0.005% raise.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  11. Spike52

Spike52

You got a raise?
    -S

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

This year, we eliminated unpaid furlough hours. So I'm now making what I got some three years ago.

I'm sure some (D) would call that a raise.

13. certifiedfunds

They're just getting pretty. Prices are through the roof though. $6 a pound boiled at the better restaurants.

Friday is the turning point though and they'll start dropping immediately as you know.

I'm boiling 2 sacks (80-90lbs for the yankees) Friday.

14. certifiedfunds

Well, that and being free to golf or shoot when you feel like it.

Everything has its downside but sales is a great way to make a living in many ways.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

Anyone who can influence a customer's purchasing decision is in sales. Some are salary/hourly/or commission.

16. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

No COLA or performance based raises with my employer for the last 4 years. Pink slips coming down the line. The employees I work with would be thankful for a 1.5 percent raise.

17. Rabbi

A better way of saying that is EVERYONE supports sales. Even the guy who keeps the place clean. That doesnt make everyone in sales.

Engineers, secretaries, accountants, the CEO's 12 year old son at the dinner party and whoever, are (in general) NOT in sales, but they can have all kinds of influence.

18. RCP

RCP

I was recently promoted at work to a charge position (medical field), prior to the promotion I filled in as a relief charge quite a bit and when doing so was paid an extra $2/hr for doing so. Naturally when I accepted the position offered I assumed the raise would be more for doing it full-time. Human resources came back with an offer that was only $1.50 more than I was making so I informed them that it was an unreasonable offer being I was being paid more than that when simply filling in. They tried to give me the tap dance about the fact that I will be transferring to nights and will be getting a shift differential to make up for it to which I informed them that I do not consider the shift differential part of my base wage but as the perk for working undesirable hours. It took a ton of back and forth bantering with them and I was actually about to walk away from the promotion all together but my boss gave them hell and they finally gave in to what I wanted. I start next week.:supergrin:

19. devildog2067

devildog2067

Good for you, I'm glad you got it worked out, but....

Why did you assume that?

20. RCP

RCP

I felt that taking on additional duties and responsibilities should pay more if you're doing it full time vs just filling in from time to time. Keep in mind the duties of doing it full-time far exceed the duties of being in charge on an as needed basis. For example one of the additional duties I am now responsible for is employee evaluations and counseling. This duty falls on top of what I was doing when just filling in which was just basically the go to guy for dealing with problems and assigning the staff to various work areas based on the census that day. Does it seem reasonable to get paid less for accepting those duties when you know the guy who is doing it as a relief charge is getting paid more to do less?:dunno: