What company makes reputable residential underground bunkers that come with everything you need?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Jon 641, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Jon 641

Jon 641

What reputable company makes affordable residential bunkers that come with everything you need? I have been looking at websites and watching videos. I thought I had it narrowed down but then I started seeing complaints from other companies. I don't have the knowledge to build it myself so wanted one already built that they can install in the ground. What kind of reviews do you have for various companies?

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Atlas is supposed to be the biggest and they seem to build them right (gas tight doors, good NBC air filtration etc). I think the owner is a bit of a blowhard though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/atlasshelters

What's your budget?

3. Jon 641

Jon 641

Less than $150,000. I have watched their videos but they just don't have enough pictures or information on their website. They seem to be in a war with another manufacturer and each one says bad stuff about the other.

4. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I think they are a really bad idea. If you bury it in the back yard, it will try to float up out of the ground after the first good rainstorm, right? I've seen in-ground pools drained after a storm and had them float up out of the ground. Then, what the heck would you have to do to keep one watertight so it doesn't fill up with water? I guess you could bury one on the side of a hill, but how is that different than just building a concrete block house with no windows and hardened doors? The ones that I've seen are plastic, not concrete block. Maybe the REALLY expensive concrete ones work? For much less than $150,000, couldn't you add on a concrete block "safe room" to your house?

I may be really wrong about this, but it sounds to me to be a great idea on paper that just doesn't make sense in the real world...

BGDaddy likes this.
  5. Jon 641

Jon 641

The one's I'm wondering about are bomb bunkers that are made of steel and are weighted down with concrete and/or packed gravel and Earth. They wouldn't be able to float out.

slamdunc likes this.
  6. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

7. Aceman

Aceman

I have to ask new guy - why are you interested in this?

8. Jon 641

Jon 641

Because I want to have a bunker built and I don't want to spend the time and money on one that would fall apart.

MSP Sarge likes this.
  9. Jon 641

Jon 641

Also, during my research, I saw other links on here referring to them so I wanted to ask guys who would probably know who was reputable and who wasn't. I am in LE but I still want one.

10. Jon 641

Jon 641

Also, I don't want the company to tell me how great their product is, of course they are going to say their product is terrific. I want someone who would know first hand which one was good or not.

11. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

willie_pete likes this.
  12. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

:thumbsup:

Yep, saved my ass for four years.

Well, that is, other than the few times it tried to kill me.

Once a tornado passed directly over the silo. We never knew a thing.

EDIT

Here is 7-1 to the east of DM

http://www.siloworld.net/390th SMW/390th SMW.htm

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    FullClip likes this.
  13. Jon 641

Jon 641

FullClip likes this.
  14. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ha-Ha...don't feel alone on that count.

Jon 641 likes this.
  15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Mortgage rates are pretty low now.

;)

PEC-Memphis and FullClip like this.
  16. BGDaddy

BGDaddy Leg Humper

I think that if sh!t ever got to the point that I needed a bunker to survive, that I wouldn't want to survive.

n2g, TheDreadnought and helidude350 like this.
  17. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It depends where you live. What is your water level? How remote is your location? How handy are you?
    Contact turnkey places, get quotes. Then check on your own.
    Doing it yourself is much cheaper, and quiet. Ask what largest cement septic tank is in area. Mine for my house was 6’ I think inside height, 11’ long and 5’ wide. IIRC they said they make 2 larger one piece units. (Hauled together, not cemented as one pour). Plus many larger 2++ piece units. Including manholes, spots for underground pipe, hose, wire...
    IF I was going to make one.. there is a place I have been. They make cement culverts (as well as huge septic tanks) I’m talking 8’ by 8’ by 10’ long. (Much bigger, and smaller)
    I have 9 under a road near me. I have been in them many times, bolted together. You can drive tanks over them with 2’ of settled dirt covering. ( guy said basically a unlimited load anything a gravel, tar road could handle if at least 2’ of settled dirt.). So make it as big as you can. Lay 8x12 by 10ft on side. All you need is to figure ends, entry... provided water table 20’ down, or build a septic looking mound over it. (Who is going to open septic mound manholes?)
    I just never found the “reason” to build one.

One I wish I had done.under garage floor. There are businesses who make a room under you 2+ car garage cement floor. IMO that would be the best. Hidden entrance, hooked to house power.... should be easy to run pump line to sewer...
    Only weak point is radiation factor. But garage roof causes some distance, 6” to 8” reinforced cement . Has a decent factor iirc. Plus you can re-enter your house without going outside, likely get to car if you need to leave, can hide air vents.... plus hole likely already dug for garage foundation. (Again water level)

18. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

Read "Nuclear War Survival Skills" by Cresson Kearney before you spend a lot of money.

19. helidude350

helidude350

I’m not endorsing his product nor downing his product.

But if you can sift through his videos, there is some good information there on a lot of bad products or providers.

There is more to it than just burying a school bus or shipping container.
    The laws of physics will prevail.