close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What changes should I make to my Glock for IDPA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ridge Runner, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

I will be shooting SSP (Stock Service Pistol). I will also be using my Glock 19 & 17 for Concealed Carry.

What sights should I get?
    Trigger modifications?
    Other internal modifications?

Where should I buy the parts? Any good deals right now?

Thanks.

2. oregonshooter

oregonshooter

3. P220ST

P220ST

Get a set of good sights. Heinie sights are great. There are a few others out there being used too. Talk to your local IDPA shooters and see what they're using. You can prolly examine in person a few differnet set-ups.

Don't need any internal mods. Trigger? I didn't do the 25 cent job, but got a factory 3.5 disconnetor instead. You can still find them if you look around, but around $20 now. I'm not a fan of grip tape or tubes, but that's for my own guns. Some guys like the grip enhancers.

Invest in a good belt and holster set-up (or two). Most everyone I see with a Glock carries in some form of Kydex holster and "Instructor" style belt. Kydex is fast to draw from. I like Blade-Tech myself. As far where to get everything, I purchase most parts from Brownells.

Good luck and have fun.

4. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

There's really nothing you have to do to a Glock to compete in IDPA. Since the guns you referenced are also your CCW, a good set of sights is not a bad idea unless you are comfortable with the stock sights or whatever the guns had on them when you acquired them. Since they are also carry guns, I would not mess with the triggers unless they are really gritty. Glocks can smooth up with dry firing, live firing, and some synthetic lube on the connector and the end of the trigger bar where it meets the connector. Invest in quality leather gear Have at least four magazines.

5. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

My wife and I just shot our first IDPA. We used it more for practice and really don't think we'll be competitive, since I doubt we will put in the practice time required. We focused on using good technique. I noticed everyone else sticking their pistols around corners and through openings, crowding cover/concealment, etc. We had a blast, though. I was pleasantly surprised how much my wife enjoyed it.

Anyway, we both use the Glock extended mag release on our 19s and a 17 and like it a lot. However, I just started CCW and am not sure if it will be a problem long term. Have people had a problem with inadvertent mag ejection?

6. oregonshooter

oregonshooter

Elmer,

I've used an extended mag release (Glock factory) on all my Glocks and have never had an issue. I do round the edges of it though with some sand paper and then use a dremel felt bob with jeweler's rouge to smooth it up.

7. GlockCarry

GlockCarry

Second the Kydex holster suggestion. Just make sure it conforms to IDPA rules before you buy one. (if you don't already have one) There can only be a certain amount of space between belt and gun, so that the gun doesn't stick out too much. It may just depend on local interpretation.

8. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Comp-Tac has a paddle-style holster that's great for IDPA. It's a slide-type holster, meaning the bottom is open, and it'll fit every 9mm or .40 Glock from a 26 all the way up to a 35.

I use one for IDPA, and I love it. Super easy to clip into your waistband, very secure, but also comes right off when you want it it. It runs $46, and I highly recommend it for IDPA use.

That said, focus more on shooting out of what you actually carry your gun in. And shoot the gun you actually carry. At least for a while. Once you're comfortable with your capabilities, THEN you can decide whether you're happy where you're at... or if it's time to go buy a 34 and stick in a holster that ejects it at lightning speed, like it's on ball bearings. :supergrin:

I finshed in 2nd place (Marksman/SSP) at a fairly sizeable match this weekend, completely by accident. I was just there to have a good time, and get some trigger time in. By the time I checked a scoresheet and saw that I should have been feeling the pressure, I was already done shooting.

Just go out and have a good time and learn where you need practice the most, and work on that at home all week with a dry gun. Reloads, draws, etc. Once you go smoothly through IDPA stages with respect to that particular skill, focus on another. Practicing at home helps more than anything except for daily visits to the range... and you get some strange looks when practicing reloads-with-retention next to avearage joe, plinking at a bullseye with his Ruger.

9. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

That's what my wife used, and she thought it was great. I used a C-TAC IWB and was also very happy. She used 2 Comp-Tac single mag holders, which worked well, while I reloaded out of my pocket (which got some funny looks, but hey, if I even carry a spare mag it will be in my pocket).

10. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

I set up TruGlo sights on my Glocks and shoot SSP. I put a new connector on my 19 for a better trigger pull (4#) and use the 3M tape on my grips. You will want a magazine pouch for 2 mags and have a couple more for some things like a classifier where it is convenient to have 5 but not a requirement.

You should find yourself in good company as there are many new shooters and many in the clubs are happy to share their experiences and be of assistance. That is one of the things I found about IDPA that is a plus.

Have fun and tell us how you make out.

11. Epizza

Epizza Cap Peeler

As for sights, go with Warren Tactical with a fiber optic front. They are IMHO the best IDPA sights. I got mine from MLE shooting sports.com for $75 shipped.

12. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

13. fwdave

fwdave

Ridge Runner

Get a good holster (I like Ky Tac)

Don't do ANYTHING to your gun until your competence with it requires investing money to make the gun better. The idea is to make you better first.

Take all the money you save on modifications and spend it on low-cost ammo. Then practice, practice, practice.

You will know when you are finally as good as the gun is. Then ask this question again.

14. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

I've seen hundreds of newbies to IDPA. First, a good holster, Blade-Tech, a good belt, Wilderness Tactical, and mag pouches. Then run a couple of thousand rounds thru your gun (in matches, not static shooting). Good sights are a must, but it's all personal. I run Heines, but their are lots of other good sights. Night sites are not good for competition. Next, try a 3.5 lb connector, it may, or may not, reduce the pull weight, but not the travel. Technique is more important here than equipment. In competition shooting, transition is what shaves time, not waazo equipment. Sight picture and trigger control, in the end, that is all their is...

15. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

I have competed in IDPA last year and was not beat in the Marksman division out of 4 matches.

I just use a Glock sport holster and like it. I do have a Kydex IWB but it just does not feel as good as the glock holster.

I wanted to make a few minor alterations to the gun to help get to the next level.

My accuracy is excellent, but my speed needs some work.

16. murph2127

murph2127

It is important to have a safe holster, a few magazines and mag pouches. I do not like the factory sights much, but the fact remains you can shoot a while with them until the need or desire to change them arises.

Other than that, most newbies will benefit more from buying and shooting ammo than just about anything else.

Ted Murphy

17. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I prefer to use sights on my competition guns that are common to my carry guns....meprolights.
    they come in handy if you ever shoot any low light stages that won't illuminate your fiber optics.

For competition a Vanek trigger can't be beat.

I also use stainless guie rods and reduced power recoil springs which noticeably reduce muzzle flip.

I use Ky-tac gear and It's the best I've ever tried.

18. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

How do you like the Tru-Glos? I'm thinking of switching out my fronts for them (eyes are getting a little....um.....'tired' these days). The little white dot is getting harder to pick up quickly.

19. B Coyote

B Coyote

If you are carrying the same gun you compete with, compete how you carry.

What changes would you make to your defensive pistol?

bc

20. sidewinder6

sidewinder6

Having fought the fight that you mention in your post with aging eyesight, I find the TFOs even more enjoyable in the daylight for quick acquisition. I did the install myself on my second weapon ( a G34) and actually enjoyed the process. No drama involved although I have read some other threads where that was not the case. I have two weapons, I shoot around 400 to 500 rounds per week in many lighting conditions and I like them.

I have read about the high regard of the Warren Tactical Sights and gave their web page a good look but I have to say, when comparison shopping on the net, they didnt rock me. Now I DO respect that some of the best shooters use these sights and I might consider them in the future, but I have not been convinced to upgrade my TFOs. And I am very happy with them.

I hope this helps a bit. Good Luck.