What CCW should I use?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ajm_g22rtf, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ajm_g22rtf

ajm_g22rtf

Hey guys, I've been thinking lately which one of my .45 ACP handgun should I carry durring the winter time, Im here to ask for your opinions/suggestions. I got a Springfield Loaded 1911-A1 and a HK USP45. Couldn't decide between the two. I shoot both really good and both feels great on my hand.

Springfield Loaded 1911-A1: Slim but heavy, overall length is longer than the USP, Cocked and locked carry only and holds 8-rounds of .45 ACP

HK USP45: Lighter but bulky, can be carried cocked and locked or Decocked w/ safety off, overall length is shorter than USP45 and holds 12-rounds of .45 ACP

as far as reliability, I know USPs are extremely reliable but my Loaded 1911-A1 is been functioning 100%.

so any suggestion? please lets focus on these two handguns only. I'd like to carry a 45ACP on winter time and Glock 17 on summer.

Thanks in advance,

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Since you shoot both equally well, then I would suggest whichever one carries easier. For me, that would be my 1911. It is slimmer but heavier. It carries fewer rounds, but they point much better for me than some other guns.

I think you should go with whichever you trust to be totally reliable. :wavey:

3. Maine

Maine

Sounds like a tough call.. I recommend flipping a coin. :wavey:

4. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I think my hk usp 45 is too big to carry, but then again, if you're wear in BIG coat tall the time, it won't be a problem, but sometimes the coat has to come off. I also don't like the cocked and locked feature of the USP, b/c it can be "unlocked" too easily, happened to me before, I was scared as hell when I noticed. The 1911 on the other hand has a solid "click" to it when it locks. Rarely does my SA loaded champion unlock itself.

5. jmb79

jmb79

In the winter time, I'd carry the HK and load it with +P ammunition. I always carry .45 acp +P in the winter time because I think it helps ensure proper penetration through bulky winter clothing. I do not shoot +P in my 1911 pistols. Thus, for me, the HK would be my choice.

Note that, in reality, I carry either my G30SF or G21SF with .45 acp +P and not an HK during the winter.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The full sized HK is a big gun but light in weight. If you have holsters for both give each a try and see which one you like. 1911 guns are very slim but in the winter a larger gun can be concealed very easily.

7. unit1069

unit1069

If you can carry both without undue problems with concealment why not just trade off different days? You will get used to carrying both of them concealed and in time if you prefer one over the other your dilemma is solved. And if your favorite is for some reason unavailable then you'll already have experience with carrying the other.

8. RedRyder21

RedRyder21

I am going to be brutally honest.

You will not be able to buy three guns, and then with out shooting them, figure out which handgun you should carry.

If you don't know which handgun to carry, then you need to keep shooting those handguns.

I own a good collection of handgun, but the carry guns I own I know I can shoot those the best!

9. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

As with others here, it would be a difficult choice.

but

Here is only a suggestion. SOB holster makes a full sized 1911 very packable. Mine has thin grips, so whole package is very slim.......

hog

[​IMG]

Note: 1911 is just stuck in holster for photo.....normally it would be cocked and locked.......

10. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

If you're going to be carrying a lot, for many hours each day, generally lighter is better.

I like slim firearms for carry, and while I often use a compact firearm in an ankle holster, I prefer my primary firearm inside-the-waistband, in a holster. The 1911 works well in that capacity. If you're going outside the waistband with a traditional belt holster, then the USP works fine. If you're comfortable carrying it IWB, that works too.

You may find that if you're prone to a lot of perspiration, the HK may stand up a little better, close to your body for extended periods, but you'll have to decide that for yourself.

What you carry is a matter of personal discretion. I recommend trying each and finding what works best for you. Get a concealment rig you want to try, and wear it with the weapon for a few weeks. See how it works out. Try the other one, too. Alternate them, find the one that best suits your needs, and stick with it.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

I don't like a big carry gun but what I dislike more is heavy carry guns. Between those two choices I'll take the HK. The heavier 1911 would drag my pants down by the end of the day.

And no one wants to see that :embarassed:

12. den888

den888

Tough call...I would probably go with the 1911 myself, as it is slimmer (easier to conceal and less of a "print").

13. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Out of curiosity, do you shoot the 17 better than each choice you listed?

14. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Definitely the 1911

15. rfd339

rfd339

Just trade them out every week. It will help when one of your ccw is out of service and you will have to carry another pistol for ccw . Being familiar with how all your pistol's would carry and function as a ccw is good to know.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  16. ajm_g22rtf

ajm_g22rtf

well, I shoot my glock 17 good but not as good as my USP45 and 1911

17. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

1911.Mine will be my EDC after I get all the upgrades done and get a good holster for it.

18. UrbanCowboy

UrbanCowboy Koch Addict

I think it depends on how you dress and how well you can conceal the H&K. Lighter weight is better on the back and an extra 4 rounds doesn't hurt either. If you can hide it I would keep the H&K.