close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What causes this and how do I fix?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Catbird, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

FYI: I use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Lately, when I'm typing text (like now), there is a 2-3 second time lag between my actual key strokes and when they appear on my monitor.

Ideas?

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

have you tried replacing the batteries? is the receiver in line-of-sight of the keyboard?

3. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Brand new Duracells (4 x AAA).

Yes, 12" away.

4. chbix

chbix

Id question the system that you are using. Normally thats seen on older computers that dont have enough ram to keep up, it takes a second from the time you type until the time it shows up. Not sure what kinda system your running so im not sure. With the wireless my first thought would have been batteries, the line of site, etc, but that was already addressed.

Perhaps you have alot of other stuff running that is eating up ram?
    My other htought would be that because its a wireless there is interferance from something, wireless internet? Phone? remotes for TVs? could be anything. have you been able to try a wired keyboard and see if its a problem with your system or the keyboard

5. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

I know mime says not to place anything electronic within "X" inches of the reciever. I can't rember the number but I am thinking 18 or so. I remember reading it and thinking that there isn't anywhere around mu desk that is 18" away from something. :shocked: Make sure no speakers either.:)

6. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Sounds like your PC is preoccupied with something, like running an AV scanner or doing something naughty. Windows Defender runs random background scans that could produce this sort of behavior.

7. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Since I have a 2-year warranty on my mini wireless keyboard/mouse, I called the company and they told me to send it in for repair or replacement - so that's what I did.

Right now till I get it back, I'm using my wired keyboard and it works fine. I don't really like it because it's much larger than my wireless one and takes up a lot of extra workspace on my desk that I need for other tasks.