What causes brake pads to fail at 28k?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sharpshooter, Jan 12, 2010.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

My passenger car brake pads are worn and grinding at 28k after 11 months. Les Schuab only warranties them for 25k. What gives? They say I need rotors too. I've never had brakes go out that fast on my 300+k highway commuter (no traffic). ???

2. ctaggart

ctaggart

Some newer cars with traction control use the brakes to control the tires from losing traction. I had the rear brakes of a 2007 Dodge Charger wear down at 14k from the "traction control" system. Or maybe you just drive the car hard? Who knows exactly what it is.

3. Babynine

Babynine

Warped rotors cause more wear on pads. Be sure to always use a torque wrench on lugs when installing wheels. Uneven torque on the lugs can cause even new rotors to warp. This is why I always do my own brakes. Also do not use the cheep Chinese made rotors that have flooded the market. They may look similar but the metallurgy may not be the same.

4. vafish

vafish

Stop and go traffic, lots of hills, as already stated traction control systems can all hurt brake life.

Can't compare city driving with highway driving for brake life.

As for the new rotors, most of the new cars don't leave enough metal on the disks to allow for them to be turned anymore. Any scrapes or gouges in the rotor (and you aid they were scraping) and you need to replace them.

5. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Canadian eh!

Possibly a partially seized caliper. Happened on my last car and the inner pads wore out in a real hurry. They are cheap to replace and can also be bought refurbished.

6. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Women.

But the most important question is why she is out of the kitchen.

7. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

LOL. Very true. My wife goes through brake pads like Kleenex. The front wheels on her car are always black from brake dust.

8. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Cheap pads, lots of stop and go, lots of hills, warped rotors etc.

Just replace them, they're cheap. Get some good quality ultra/premium ceramics.

9. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Canadian eh!

They can also be machined for about $10 each if there's still good meat left on them.

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

I see you are in Canada. I don't know why it would be different there but down here a brake shop will usually no longer offer this service. It used to be turn the rotors and rebuild the calipers on a brake job. Now its buy new rotors and new calipers as they are more affordable these days.

11. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Canadian eh!

We don't have rotors on our snowmobiles or dog sleds a way up here.:supergrin:

I had a set turned by a friend who worked at a GM shop a few years back. They were newer disks and got warped by ****ty pads. Saved me $100 or more on a new pair.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I'd say start by listening to your mechanic. Bad rotors will usually hose a pair of pads pretty quickly.

IGF

13. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

For some reason, some people who drive cars with automatic transmissions drive with the left foot on the brake. I've seen a lot of folks who do this wear out brake pads really, really fast because of slight, unconscious pressure on the brakes as they drive along. It doesn't take much.

Proper pedal technique calls for the accelerator and brake pedals to both be operated using the right foot.

14. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Could be worse.

Replace them with the best possible replacements and STFU about it.

15. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. chris in va

chris in va

Some cars are notorious for wearing out brakes. Remember the older Saturns and Chevy Malibu? IIRC they had recalls for the issue, and it still wasn't fixed. Not unheard of for 10k miles to replace everything.

I'd go with a good aftermarket rotor and pad setup next time instead of factory. You'll get better braking anyway.

17. vafish

vafish

For quite a while now every time I've brought in disks to be machined they measured them and said they were to thin to resurface.

I measured a brand new set of rotors and they were thinner than the spec to allow resurfacing.

I mentioned this in the first sentence of the paragraph that you did not quote.

That has been my experience with my last 3 cars that needed front brake jobs.

18. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

I don't brake hard or ride the pedal, and 90% of my driving is at 75 mph. This car has 300k miles and this is only it's 4th front brake job. I just don't get it. Maybe I got some of those Chinese pads?

19. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Canadian eh!

Holly crap i'm going blind. Sorry

20. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

If you are going to keep the car spend a little extra and get a good set of pads and new rotors.