Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

· NRA Life Member.
3,506 Posts
That I can have decent SD expectations with FMJ amo, and not have to feel like I need premium HP ammo for defense.
I'd trust it to go through a car door or windshield.
I wouldn't trust it to stop in the chest of a terrorist Muslim Somali and not hit the people behind him.
I'd trust it to zip right through the head of a burglar but I wouldn't trust it stop in the wall of my daughter's bedroom.

There is not magic "smart" bullet or "smart" bullet choice. There are just "smart" gun owners and trained users. You can't buy a short cut at Walmart no matter who endorses it.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

· Registered
1 Posts
Several years ago I took two rounds from a .38 spl. 158 grain lead round nose, a very poor stopper if you read all the reports. One entered just to the right of my navel and exited left of navel, not much damage. The other entered between two ribs on my right side and exited between ribs on my left, the bullet acted like a cookie cutter. My BP when I arrived at the ER was 30/40, 5.5 hours of surgery (the first of several) 9 days in ICU, 39 days total in Hospital. Loss of Spleen, Pancreas, 1/3 of Stomach, 1/2 of Liver, Gall Bladder, 1/2 of left Lung, 1/2 of Colon and a few feet of intestines, lifetime of type 1 Diabetes. Like I said very cheap bullet, very poor stopper according to everything I have read. My advice, don't believe everything you read !

· NRA Life Member
6,092 Posts
Wise man once said even with zero expansion a .45 still makes damn near a half inch hole.
.45ACP hardball out of a standard length barrel has a historically proven 62-65% one shot stop rate. Usually that meant shot dead, or so badly injured the fight wasn't continued with one .45ACP hardball to the chest.

It's reputation as a manstopper was hard earned and is well proven.

While I would prefer and carry modern HP, I wouldn't feel underarmed if limited to that load. Even in a compact platform.

Gray_Rider
Old Secessh
What Grayrider and Dr P said. :cheers:

· NRA #IHMR2ADS
81 Posts
FMJ ITS FOR PRACTICE BECAUSE IF YOU ARE USING FOR SELF DEFENSE YOU ARE ST RISK OF TBE BULLET PASS THE BULGLAR AND HIT A INOCENT, WITH THE HP The chanse to hit another it's less a day the power to stop the agresor are bigger than FMJ

· Registered
297 Posts
As a general rule, I carry JHP rounds for all self-defense applications. However, if I were forced to choose a single caliber with only hardball rounds available, it would be the .45 ACP or Colt. Again, as a general rule, it will penetrate to desired depths (and beyond in some cases). It will break bones and stop the fight. Sub-calibers are not even a consideration as I don't carry less than a 9mm/.38 Spec. As with all other forms of ammunition, shot placement trumps all other considerations.

· Banned
1,878 Posts
For me, the only pistol caliber cartridges I trust in FMJ would be .357mag and .45 Auto.
Yourself?
I'd say 45, 40 S&W and 10mm. 45 because it's big and the other's because in FMJ they are only available in flat points. I have no idea if a 40 cal flat point is more effective that a 45 round nose but Delta seems to think so. They could have chosen anything they wanted in any caliber. Rather than a Glock 20 they chose a Glock 22. From what I read it's because the goblins have began wearing body armor so rather than two in the chest they concentrate on hip shots. And the 40 penetrates and breaks hip bones better than a 9mm or 45.

· NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol
512 Posts
I would have to say the .45 ACP or the .45 Colt. The .357, I think, would blow a very fast hole through somebody unless it struck bone. I think the 9MM is quite sufficient with SD ammunition. With FMJ, I'm not so sure. A friend did shoot an enemy soldier during the Gulf War and he went right down and died, but my friend said he fired a burst of three at about 20 feet from his Beretta.[/

41 - 60 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.