Glock Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
10,231 Posts
When I feebly attempt to figure all of the miniscule statistical odds of being involved in some sort of an altercation involving me shooting my firearm at another person in self defense, there are, among others, three ammunition related issues that could cause me concern:

1. Will I hit my target?
2. Will my weapon function reliably?
3. Will the ammunition used stop the threat?

Of those three, #'s 2 and 3 are probably the biggest issues concerning ammunition.

With that, I consider that ball ammunition, while seriously underperforming compared to expanding ammo, still does have some level of success in stopping a threat. Saying that "it's worthless" or some other such thing is just silly. From the soldier to the street thug, thousands of fatalities are cause by being hit my such ammo.

That being the case, I couldn't imagine anything worse than a weapon that malfunctions in a time of need. While out and about, I carry a .380, and since it's a little underpowered anyway, I'll take the reliability and slightly deeper penetration of FMJ.

At home, I keep a loaded magazine of 9mm, .300 AAC Blackout, and plain old .22 long rifle in the kitchen. I use 'em all around the acreage a lot, and just figure I'll use whatever I have handy. If things get nasty, I'll go for the bigger rifle anyway.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.