What Car Gear Was Needed To Be Cool

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

when you were a teen?

My first car was a 1963 Impala four-door and there was really nothing I could have done to it, especially with what little money I had, to get it even on the b-list.

Before I joined the Army in early 1986, I had a '78 Firebird for a while. It was a bit ratty, but it at least had a shot at being moderately cool. So, what did such a car need in the mid-eighties, to make the grade?

There was a pretty long list and not all of it applied to every car. With that Firebird, t-tops would have been great. Unfortunately, it didn't have them. Next, a set of Craiger SuperSport mags, preferably with the three point spinner center caps. alas, I was stuck with the stock Pontiac Rally II steel wheels.

Back then, the well dressed sporty cars were sporting bras. Remember that? The best of the bunch and the one everyone wanted was a Le Bra brand car bra. I personally thought they were silly and never owned one, but I was in the minority, on that score.

Next, remember the aftermarket window louver panels that could be had for most performance and sports cars? I worked at a car dealership and I had to install those things and clean the windows under them. I really hated those things, but I had a set on my Firebird.

Of course the car had to have dual exhaust and it had to have that twin exhaust tip on each side.

Inside the car, you needed about fifteen pounds of crap hanging from your rearview mirror, that would define you as a person at a glance, to whomever might see the crap. Then of course, it had to have sheepskin seat covers on the front seats. Everyone seemed to have them. A bit later, everyone tossed the sheepskin covers and got those covers that were grids of little wooden balls. Remember those? That was a dad I never got. Those damned things were uncomfortable.

Lastly, the car could have been running on three cylinders and spewing fluids from every oriface, but it had to have a badass stereo. As I mentioned in another thread, I was firmly in the Pioneer electronics camp. You needed a good Pioneer stereo cassette player (with auto-reverse, by God), an amplifier if you could afford it, or an EQ/amp if you couldn't and you needed a kickass pair of three-way or four-way six-by-nine speakers in the gopher board in the back window. You never placed the speakers under the perforated areas of the gopher board that the car came from the factory with. You didn't buy a set of Pioneer 6907s only to had them under pressed cardboard. You had to cut a hole through that crap and use the speaker covers that came with the speakers, so that everyone could see your kickass speakers.

So, what else am I missing? What else did a teenager's car need back then to make the grade?

2. scout1

scout1

Lovers on rear window on IROCs. Set of 6 x 9 Kracos. And no doubt a Confederate flag on the roof!

3. Joe!

Joe! one two three get loose now

Hijackers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

My best friend used to have a 78 Firebird as well, back then. He was lucky enough though to have t-tops AND a set of Craiger Supersports, with spinner caps, although he was a Kenwood sound system aficionado, rather than Pioneer. Even so, our friendship endured. :supergrin: When we went cruising in his Firebird, we would take the t-tops off (of course) and if the traffic wasn't too heavy, we would set on top of the seats, with most of our bodies sticking up through the t-tops.

Whichever one of us that was driving would set the cruise control, get up and sit on the headrest of the seat and steer the car with our feet. If, we needed to stop or change speed or something, we had both perfected a method of moving our feet off the steering and wheel and just dropping back down into the seat behind the wheel. We could do so super quick. Even so, it is a ****ing miracle that we never got in a wreck doing that stupid crap. I also can't believe we never got ticketed or (more likely) arrested for doing that. I guess God does truly watch over fools. We sure used to have a lot of fun though.

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

Did any of you live in ****kicker country back then, where every teenager's truck had those huge freaking megaphones at the end of the dual exhaust, or else 1 7/8" dual exhaust, that sounded like a machinegun when the driver got on it?

LASTRESORT20 and TBO like this.
  6. GoFasterrrr

GoFasterrrr

Two vehicles I sold that are worth way more than what I paid for them. 69 GMC stepside short bed and a 74 Pontiac Trans Am 400 T/A 6.6

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  7. scout1

scout1

Glass pack exhaust, I bet their hard of hearing now.

silentpoet likes this.
  8. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

those are two great rides. When that 5mph bumper law went into effect in 1975, it really hurt the looks of the Camaro/Firebird/TAs. The Camaro suffered from the new styling required than the Firebird and TA did though.

I've owned nine Camaros/Firebirds/TAs, from 1970 year model (a split bumper Camaro) through 1979(Trans-Am). They were by far my favorite cars of the seventies. I love that Year One is doing such an incredible job at keeping these cars going. I'm not sure if they are doing it for the Camaro, but they are making new subframes, bodies and everything yo need to build a new seventies-era Trans-Am/Firebird. I would love to build one out.

9. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

I've owned more than a few Cherry Bomb mufflers myself.:supergrin:

For a car like my Firebird though, I always preferred the sound of a set of headers running into 2 1/2" exhaust and Thrush Sonic Turbo mufflers. I loved the throbbing bass that setup created.

I would have liked to have had a set of Hooker headers on that car, but could only afford Headman headers. I liked their sound though. They used fairly thin-walled header tubes, so you could hear the detonation of each cylinder firing through the tubes of the headers. That sound, coupled with the bass rumble of the Sonic Turbos made for a tough sounding ride. The only problem with the cheaper headers was the welds cracking out around where each header tube joined the flange. Header gasket leaks were a common PITA too.

I discovered a fix for that early on though. I would buy two packs of Accel header gaskets and I would put two gaskets between each header flange and head. The extra thickness allowed the flange to sink in a bit and get a good seal. Of course, it was important to retighten the header bolts a couple of days after the gaskets were installed. They would loosen up as the header flange bedded itself in the gaskets.

As much as modern performance has surpassed those older cars, there are very few performance exhaust systems today that sound anywhere as good to me as the old systems I loved.

silentpoet likes this.
  10. silentpoet

silentpoet

I have a cherry bomb waiting for when I get my Cadillac back together.

LASTRESORT20 likes this.
  11. DonMerlin

DonMerlin

Stick shift, headers and Crager SS mags and you were uptown.

12. scout1

scout1

Ah, forgot the CB and antenna flopping around.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

14. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Ignoring Connecticut's Unconstitutional laws
    as a freshman in college I bought a toyota pick up.

HAD to have a body lift, AT tires (BFG 31x10.5x15) roll bar, push bar and KC lights (with the smiley face covers)

15. k9medic

k9medic

"dual wipers" on each wiper arm in hot pink color. Sawblade style rims. Curly cellular style FM antenna.

silentpoet likes this.
  16. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

By the 80s, I was into German cars, BMWs and the like.

But in the late 60s and early 70s, you had to have an 8-track.

My 57 Chevy, with black vinyl tuck and roll, had one, of course.

Along with Cragars, Hurst shifter, and Thrush behind the headers of that .30 over 327!

17. plp

plp

In the '80's I was more concerned about the mortgage and plumbing issues than the car I drove. I had a series of beaters, best of the bunch being a 1976 Mercury Capri, which was actually a BMW in Ford clothing. I loved that car, until it got so undependable I sold it. The guy that bought it turned it into a dirt track car and won his class for the next two years.

18. GMAN12

GMAN12

:dancing:Chrome record player that played 45rpm records or a Motorola echo chamber with springs in it. Neither worked very good when you hit a bump.

19. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

This and some 6x9 three way speakers with an amp and equalizer.
    Tires as big as you could fit in back

DonMerlin likes this.
  20. beaversgs

beaversgs

I drove a 1972 Mach I Mustang. 351C, FMX transmission, Magnum 500 wheels, Ram Air hood. Fold down rear seat. Headers and glasspacks. Pioneer cassette player with autoreverse. However, I only had the factory speakers in the door and the back. Even cranked all the way up, you couldn't hear it over the engine once you got above 60mph :) God, I miss that car sometimes....