close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What can you tell me about this rifle?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BigEd, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BigEd

BigEd Millennium Member

I bought it in about '98 I think. It was an impulse buy. It was on sale and the salesman told me I needed it so I bought it. It's been sitting at the back of my safe since. I decided to pull it out, clean it and do some research for a possible sale. The rifle is a SigArms model SHR-970 in 30-06. Made in Switzerland is stamped on the side. It appears to have a 4 or 5 round magazine. If I recall correctly, the salesman told me that this rifle uses an interchangeable barrel system. I researched it on the internet and found zero info. The store I bought it at closed it's doors several years ago. SigArms does not list it on their site. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what to ask if I decide to sell? The scope is a Redfield which I heard is no longer. The bipod is Harris. Thanks in advance.

2. BigEd

BigEd Millennium Member

Thanks, never thought to look on Gun Broker. Looks like their not really worth much. If I were to sell it I wouldn't lose money nor would I make a killing. Never heard much on these rifles, are they not very popular?

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This SHR-970 was an el cheapo version - both in fit & finish and in price. Serviceable but not much better than, say, Savage.

I think it was the Sauer 202 that had the interchangeable version.

4. BigEd

BigEd Millennium Member

Well, I'm not a gunsmith so I cannot properly rate the fit and finish, but in all honesty it looks pretty good to me. Late last nite I found the paperwork and the tool that is required to make barrel changes. So I can say 100% w/o a doubt that this rifle does use the interchangeable barrel system. However, I did a quick search on line and have found no barrels, as a matter of fact, I have found no parts for it at all. Guess that's why they're not to popular.