close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What can I do with the steamer on top of my rotisserie?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Medford4, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

HELP...Miss Kitty, or somebody. Got my new Ronco XL rotisserie, and it works great. I'm putting a 20 pound turkey on it today. I was wandering how and what to cook in that steamer pot that sits on top of it. I bought a recipe book off ebay written by the guy that designed this rotisserie, and even though it has over 200 recipes, NONE of them are for that stupid steamer pot. Any of you guys have any experience with that thing or anything similar?

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I wish I could help you. I don't steam veggies. I throw them on the grill or on the George Foreman or in a grill pan ;f

OK, here is what I would try. Add my liquid: broth or water. Then add the veggies. Softer things like squash will cook faster, broccoli will take longer. Rice should take at least as long as the broccoli would. Note I am guessing here: but I would say squash would take maybe 15 minutes and broccoli 20? Rice maybe 20-30?

Gotta grill pan/George Foreman? I can talk you thru that ;f

3. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

How about sliced mushrooms with a little butter? Or you could sweat the vegies for stuffing - onions, celery, and mushrooms. Steamed baby carrots.

4. Medford4

Medford4 Hired Gun

Don't think I like this new format. Had a hard time finding this place. ANYWAY...thanks for the help. Since I was cooking my turkey last night, I needed something then, so I just made something up. I chunked up several potatoes (skin on) Most of them were new red potatoes. I chunked up a medium yellow onion, I found some frozen Anaheim peppers I've had for a long time, and chunked one of them up after seeding it. Was going to use 2, but thought if they were spicy at all, the Missus wouldn't eat it. Chopped up a little bacon..added about half a stick or a little less of butter (might have been margerine)...then shook a little cajun spice and a little garlic pepper on top. To get things started steaming, and to add a little flavor, I splashed a little bourbon in the bottom. About half-way through, I poured a little beer in, and some of the drippings off the turkey. Steamed it for over 2 1/2 hours while turkey was cooking. Came out great...the potatoes were soft, but not mushy, and had a great flavor. Couldn't detect any flavor from the bourbon, so I won't waste my whiskey on it anymore. Oh...and the turkey..If you ever ate rotisserie chicken, it's just like that, only bigger..YUM-YUM! We'll never roast another turkey...and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.;V

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mmmmm.........got any leftovers? :drool:

Here is a navigation tip:

Look up in the top right hand corner of each forum, next to the New Theard button: see the link to "subscribe to this forum?" Click that and it will be added to your User CP. When you log in, go straight to your User CP and you will see a list of subscribed forums similiar to GT's main page with any new PMs you have listed and your buddy's online status.

Hope that *this* helps since I wasn't much help steaming veggies :)

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

8 to 10 minutes after you get a full head of steam and most veggies are great.

You can cut them up in bite size pieces mix different kinds together.

Or cook them separately at the same time.

7. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

I love my Ronco.