What can I do to my G17 and remain stock

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by nu2glock, Oct 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. nu2glock

nu2glock

Hi,

I would like to join GSSF and Shoot some of the matches. I bought a G17 Gen 3 to do so with. My question is what can I do to this gun and still remain stock? I would like to add some fiber optic front sights, a trigger job and maybe an extended slide stop. Aro-Tek is at my local gunshow and says htey can do a 3.5Lb trigger job using Glock parts, would this kick me out of stock class? I looked at the latest GSSF PDF download on the website but still find it a bit ambiguous. Please advise.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You may clean and oil it, period!;)

Seriously, you may:

1. Use fiber optic sights and any other notch and post type sights, but no Ghost Rings, lasers or Express Sights.

2. You may install and use a factory 3.5# connector.

3. You may install and use the totally unnecessary factory extended magazine release and slide stop lever.

4. You may use grip sleeves and grip tape.

5. You may use factory #1967 and #7151 extended magazine bases.

Stock means factory regarding internal parts.

GSSF shooting is accuracy at speed. The 3.5# connector, while helpful in slow bullseye matches, might not help much in GSSF, IDPA or IPSC type shooting. The secret to success is practice with a purpose, lots of it.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

let me say the most important and helpful thing you can do is practice.

4. mike from philly

mike from philly

I think express sights are now allowed. Other than that minor correction, Danny gave you great advice.

I heard something the other day that surprised me about the 3.5# connector .... it doesn't get the pull down to 3.5#. It only shaves off 0.5#. So your 5.5# is now 5.0#.

I personally like the "extended" controls. If you shoot IPSC Production, you'll want the extended mag release. The extended slide release is unneccessary but is more fun to hit for that Hollywood style reload. like Danny wrote, for GSSF they are totally worthless.

5. Ashe

Ashe Lost Cause

So the extended Slide and Mag Releases are OK for ISPC Production?
    I have really short fingers so I was planning on getting them,as I currently cannot reach either without using my left hand or shifting my grip. Its nice to know that I will be able to use them in production.

6. mleeber

mleeber

Don't confuse GSSF and IPSC/USPSA production. In IPSC/USPSA internal changes can be made "to improve the trigger feel and function". I sent an email a few weeks ago to the USPSA rules guy and was surprised at what I got back. Any modification can be done internally to improve the trigger. This includes aftermarket springs, connectors, and even strikers (firing pin). As long as the mods are not visible outside they are legal. Since my GSSF AmCiv gun is also my IPSC Production gun I have not made many changes but clearly there are different "stock" rules with different disciplines. I expect IDPA has yet some other differences.

7. Nukem

Nukem

I've always wondered about Glockmeister's Extended Mag Catch for GSSF AmCiv...it is a stock mag catch with an extension screwed to the outside. For my fingers, its the best-of-the-best. But is it legal for GSSF??

8. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Doesn't sound like a Glock Manufactured Mag Release to me. A Glock mag release doesn't have anything else screwed to it.

9. nu2glock

nu2glock

Many thanks guys. I will look into getting some of those basic modifications done. The only ones I am thinking about is adding a fiber optic front sight, the 3.5 Lb trigger and the extended slide lock. I do not need the other mods. As far a practice, I usual times are in the 3.5 to 4 second range shooting at my local plate league (8"plates at 35 feet, and no, I do not shoot 1911s. I am sure I will do fine once I get used to the new grip. I am new to Glocks, not guns.

My only major issue now is whether or not an extended beavertail from Robar would kick me out of stock. With my high grip the slide always cuts across the back of my hand as it cycles. It is OK for a couple of rounds but can become a painfull annoyance over hundreds of rounds. Oh well, wil get the basic work donen before I send it off to Robar, maybe I cna adjust my grip.

BTW, shot my new G17 today for the first time, it groups OK, under 2" at 35 feet rapid fire. Need to get used to it.

10. DannyR

An extended beavertail from Robar would require you to shoot in Unlimited/Masters Category because the Robar process is a frame modification.

Glock does not make an extended slide lock so that too would put you in Unlimited/Masters. You may use a factory extended slide stop lever in GSSF Amateur, but it is totally unnecessary in GSSF shooting, as there are no mag changes during a string of fire.

11. GLW

GLW

Not to change the focus of this thread too much but I'm kind of curious. I had the same problem when I started shooting Glocks. The web of my strong hand would get cut by the slide and my weak hand thumb would engage the slide lock during recoil with anything more powerful than a 9mm. I had been shooting 1911 style pistols in competition for twenty years using as high a grip as I could manage, including my weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard. When I started shooting Glocks, in addition to the previously mentioned problems, I was also stringing my groups horizontally. I attributed this to my old 1911 style grip. I retrained myself to shoot with my weak hand index finger below the trigger guard (not an easy task, it took about three months of practice to feel comfortable) and all the problems went away. In fact, it has been the most significant improvement in my shooting in years. How do you hold the gun? If it is with your finger on the front of the trigger guard, try the other way. It will feel awkward at first but see if it solves the problem. Please let me know what you think. Hope this helps.

12. GLW

GLW

One more thought :) I tried fiber optic sights but came to the conclusion that they were not the best choice for GSSF shooting. At least for me, the fiber optic does not allow a precise enough sight picture and is too affected by changing lighting conditions. While at Conyers, I replaced the fiber optics with conventional post sights from Ameriglo. These new sights are great, providing a crisp sight picture that is unaffected by sun position, clouds or cover. I still have fiber optics on my IPSC Procduction gun and if you plan to use one gun for both sports, you may want to consider the fiber optic and use sight black for GSSF matches. Anyway, just my opinions and you know what those are like, everybody has 'um. Hope this helps, Grady

13. DannyR

Grady,

Thanks for the great input.

Nu2glock: Grady is one of the finest master shooters in GSSF, so pay attention.;)

14. nu2glock

nu2glock

Again, many thanks. I am reading all of the reply's and listening to the advice. Do not worry, I am not ignoring any of the input. I will be testing my G17 at plates and will let that determine if I get anyting past the 3.5 Lb disconnector. I really do prefer a lighter trigger like on my CZ-75B (People can't believe I have a stock trigger on that gun, nice and light and crips but heavy enough for CCW). I will rething the fiber optics and extended slide lock.

15. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You can polish your internals on your trigger, most of the better shooters do. There are a couple of notable exceptions but you have to look at the word notable, that's where their skill level is. On the FO sights, take a look at the Dawson front, it may appeal to you. They have a small bright dot with sufficient metal around them to allow accurate shots out to 20 and 25 yards.

Extended mag releases and extended slide stop levers are a matter of preference, I find them convenient, some don't care for them. You mentioned an extended slide lock, on a Glock that's the piece that holds the slide on the frame, I suspect you are talking about the slide stop, which can be used to release the slide when reloading.

The best investment for stock gun shooting in GSSF is a good set of after market sights. I like the Bomars with a Dawson .100" FO front. After market sights are legal in GSSF. Like I said, different folks like different things.

For more info take a look at www.gssfonline.com you'll find rules, courses of fire and past performances there.

edit for spelling