close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What can be done about these neighborhood nuisances?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by fastvfr, Oct 16, 2004.

1. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Hello all;

Well, I was outside wrenchin' on the GF's auto, and couldn't help but notice that the 'pets' who live across the street were drawing unwanted attention yet again.

There are a pair of Miniature Pomeranians over there, who bark all the time at anything...or nothing at all. And once one gets a sore throat and shuts up, the other one will set it off again, ad nauseum...

Another neigbor came over and asked me how I kept from going crazy, since these misbegotten whelps yap, bark and make hideous screeching almost-barking sounds all day and most of the night, and I live much closer than he does.

Apparently, there is a rumor going around that someone is considering poisoning little meatballs and chucking them into their space.

I'd prefer to avoid that, but repeated calls to the Sheriff's Department and Animal Control have gone completely unanswered, hence the rumor of the Neighborhood Vigilante Committee and its proposed solution...sort of a Final one, and a sad one, IMO.

Even though I hate these dogs with a passion (I am normally the dog-lovinest guy around, btw) I'd hate to see them poisoned off. If I knew for sure who intended to do this thing, I'd consider reporting the situation, so if it does happen the law will have a good lead in the investigation.

On the other hand, these 'people' that supposedly own them hate their dogs as much as the rest of the surrounding community does. They kick them out of the house before sunup, and they immediately commence with the most ungodly doggy din you ever heard.

It was just before 5AM today, and around 5:30 yesterday morning when these awful beasts made their appearance.

They are usually let back in the house again at around midnight.

No action has been taken by the authorities on this obvious breach of the peace....and I'd like to head off any assasination attempts if at all possible.

Does anyone have any ideas on steps I can take to alleviate the problem yet avoid harming these 'little darlings', who have the misfortune of being roundly hated by every last human within earshot including their owners?! Hesk, they probably hate themselves; I know they give me a headache and I'm over 50 meters away!

Someone on another forum suggested letting them out and calling the dogcatcher, but that isn't a good idea since there are several large, dangerous strays in the neighborhood that AC refuses to deal with already - one is a huge undocked Rottweiler mix that I nearly had to shoot when it stalked up to me in my front yard all stiff-legged, hackles up, growling and baring its teeth at me. If I hadn't met his force with my own authority by taking a few fearless steps towards the animal (G30's sights resting firmly between his eyes the whole time) and yelling, "GET OUTTA HERE!!!" I'd most likely have had to kill that dog.

And AC was SUPPOSED to have collected his mangy ***** last week...and yet there he is, still intimidating the neighbor kids. We need a better dogcatcher, is what I think.

Besides, letting them out wouldn't work since the little a-holes won't leave the yard anyway. Some kids tried to pet them the other day, and left the gate open when they ran back out of the yard after nearly being bitten, and the dogs just stayed there on the porch, making these unearthly almost-barking, "HAAAA! HAAAA! HIYIYIYIYI!! HIIIIIYIYIYIYI!!!" noises like they always do, 18+ hours a day.

This has gotta cease, for their own good. Please help. Any suggestions are welcome at this point!!

Thanks in advance,

FastVFR

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

One thing that we have tried, other than going through the obviously-plugged "Official Channels", is making a recording of the dog's noises and playing it back at them over loudspeakers.

But since the owners are apparently oblivious to the sounds their beasts make, and do not own a phone, it came to naught. And since there was no way anyone could stand those little heathens' voices as it was, MUCH LESS AMPLIFIED, we quickly gave up on that approach!!

But any other suggestions you might have will be most welcome.

TIA!

FastVFR

3. jpsw44

jpsw44

Have you tried talking to your neighbor? I had a similar situation recently in my neighborhood. I spoke to the owner once and let him know how the constant yipping was driving me nuts. It was quiet for a while and started back up again. Then I got woken up at 3:00 AM!!! Lets just say I didn't even have to open my mouth when I approached him the next day. He knew, and I haven't heard the little bugger since then. If it starts up again, I'll just place a call to AC and have him slapped with a $50 fine. Im lucky in the sense that my city just passed a 0 tolerance noise ordnance, so I shouldn't have a problem. Try the talking approach. Be nice, but firm. Sometimes these people think that just because it doesn't bother them, that everybody else is cool with it too. Let him know.

4. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

;Q You should be able to handle this unfortunate situation all by yourself in municipal court.

(1) Get a copy of the noise ordinance. (2) Prepare the complaint yourself. (Ask the court clerk for details.) (3) Make a recording of the noise. (4) Take a few pictures of the animals as they run around the yard, barking. (5) Keep a daily record of noise events during the weeks that you're waiting to appear in court; (6) and, if you have anyone else who's willing to act as a witness, your complaint will be, 'ironclad'. I can assure you the local judge will probably, 'hang' the dog owners’ asses. If the noise continues the fines could go into the thousands; and this is the kind of, ‘money case’ every municipality loves to enforce. It’s pure profit for them! ;)

PS: If you, 'off' those dogs it will probably haunt you for years to come; and it's not really necessary. If your municipal court is anything like my municipal court, the local judge will be eager to get his hands on all of the fine money and court costs he's able to rake in!

Believe me I've sat through more than one of these; 'municipal circuses' and I wouldn't want to be the offending owners in this complaint. There may be some costs to you involved here; but, savor the expression on the owners' faces when the sheriff's deputies serve these dolts! I hate to say it; (Because I’m a dog lover, too.) but, based on what you’ve said, once the court papers are served those dogs are, probably, history. ;g

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

SmartOne;

Exactly why we haven't gone the Do-It-Yourself Litigation route yet.

And as far as talking goes, you can't get to the door to knock on it, and they have no phone. They are reclusive shut-ins, I guess, and have never spoken to anyone in all the time I have lived here (going on 2 years). They have no vehicle, and no one seems to know how they even get groceries...

In fact, that's the main reason the police have been called on them --SO-- many times. They keep themselves totally unreachable.

Apparently, there are even fewer alternate courses of action than I feared there were.

Oh well, at least I asked.

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. I merely HEARD of the 'assassination plot' through the grapevine, guys! I am AGAINST the idea, which led to my post here in search of ideas! Just for the record, as it were...if I was a dog-killin' type, the neighborhood would be quieter and I never would have said a word to anyone...but they are madly barking away as I type this!!

6. DigitalRaptor

DigitalRaptor

What condition are the dogs in? Are they all filthy with matted hair and underfed, or do they look wel taken care of?
    The reason I ask is that if there is an ASPCA branch where you live, they would most likely take a keen interest in dogs that aren't being properly cared for.

You should try to contact them at the very least about the Rottie.:cool:

7. JohnnyRotten

JohnnyRotten

How about one of those ultra-sonic gizmos that are supposed to shut dogs up? Anyone ever try one?

JR

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

Do you have access to a paintball gun?