close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What can a Glock Gunsmith Do?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tom Horn, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Tom Horn

Tom Horn Duty & Country

My question is Exactly what can a certified Glock gunsmith do to improve the trigger pull that I cannot do myself?

I am not saying this to be smug or a smart alec but I am trying to get my trigger to the smoothest point possible.

I have already polished the stock trigger bar and installed a Glock 3.5 connector.

However, it still seems to me that there is something "grating" during the trigger pull.

Is this due to plastic "burrs", out of tolerance frame or what?

Can a Glock gunsmith, for example, enlarge the trigger port if in fact the trigger is rubbing on the frame?

Just curious.

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

With care you can do it all.
    Replace parts; polish all metal-to-metal contact in the trigger group.
    Enjoy and take your time.;)

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I never heard of a "certified Glock gunsmith". Can't imagine needing a gunsmith to work on a Glock. I use the Scherer 3.5# connector and polish everything that moves. I don't feel any "grating" in any of my Glock triggers. Could be the pistol needs a little more polishing or the owner needs a little more Paxil.

4. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Take your time and polish all the surfaces... but do not over polish to where you remove much metal... that can possibly make the gun unsafe.... a glock trained armourer can do nothing that I can't plus they might be more likely to not want to polish and change out parts... learn how to do the work yourself at glockmeister...The glock will give up all secrets in about 30 minutes....if you go very slowly...

5. JohFel

JohFel

Hello!
    What do you guys use when u polish theese surfaces? Do u use somekind of stone, or is it somekind of rubbing compound??
    Thnx!

6. cheifwatchman

cheifwatchman

The job right. I wouldn't trust my self or any non Glock armorer to work on my Glock.

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

"What can a Glock armorer do?
    The job right. I wouldn't trust my self or any non Glock armorer to work on my Glock."

Hardehardeharharhar! Zenith of Glock ignorance! Rx: Solomon Juice! Gallons of the stuff!

8. JohFel

JohFel

Anybody have a clue?? Thnx!!!

9. Lefty2Guns

Lefty2Guns got ammo?

FLITZ........................................................ FLITZ........................................................

;f ;c ;c

OUT
    Lefty

10. cheifwatchman

cheifwatchman

Take a paxil. I'm not having any kitchen trigger jobs on my pistols. $65 for a while you wait Glockmeister 3.5# trigger job is cheap. Just because you can don't mean you should.

11. VN350X10

VN350X10

To cheifwatchman;

I see that you're a senior member, so you've been here a while.
    Do you also own H&K or SiG pistols?
    Sounds like you've undergone the factory brainwashing that they try to tell people!!

Some of the best Glock mechanics around ARE'NT factory certified.

Remember, the factory people must worry about liability. Someone setting up a firearm for competition has already accepted the fact that IT AIN'T GONNA BE STOCK !!!!

My G34 runs at a 2 1/4# trigger pull, reliably, safely (I'll drop test it like a stock G17) & has had the same pull for over 3,000 rds with no indication of problems. Does this mean that everybody should have that light of pull?..... Of course not. It means that while stock is O.K. for most applications, modified IS better in it's place.

Just for the record, I did the trigger job myself.

uncle albert

12. cheifwatchman

cheifwatchman

I have a 3.5# trigger on my G-17. I paid Ben the Glockmeister $65 to do the job. I never said I had a problem w/ modifications. I have a probem w/ pistol owners who think because they can read instruction on the Glockmeister web site, that makes them a Glock armorer. I'll only let Glock armorers work on my Glock.

13. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

A Certified Glock Armorer is trained to disassemble and reassemble a Glock, to troubleshoot many problems, and to replace factory parts with factory parts. Glock does not train armorers to do any polishing or fine tuning of Glocks.

Flitz, a felt wheel, and a dremel type tool work best for polishing.

14. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber 10millimember

Use any commercially available non-abrasive metal polish.

15. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

..Can't help but razz ya just a little. Do you only let certified GM mechanics put a quart of oil in your Chevy?;f BTW, wouldn't it be spelled chiefwatchman? Just checking, no harm intended.

16. REFLEX

REFLEX

Chiefwatchman-Just out of curiosity, What else did Ben do besides installing the connector for $65?

17. Sr J

Sr J

I bet he danced a jig, $20ish for the part, so that's 45 bucks for a 10 min job, I'd be doing a jig too. Not trying to flame, to each his own, it's a gun, a powerful thing if you're not comfortable by all means pay someone, if spending 65 bucks makes you feel better about your gun, it's money well spent to you. (as for this broke college kid, I'll do it myself) (taking stuff apart is fun ;f )

18. davesglock30

davesglock30

i owned my 30 for all of 2 weeks before i did a complete disassemble with the help of glockmiester. i took it completely apart and put all back together and it still works just fine. it's not like it's a nuclear reactor or something, it's a gun with 32 parts and no screws! if you can follow directions even a little bit it should be easy as cake to disassemble your glock.:)

and what exactly is flitz? where can i get it?

19. SAWBONES

SAWBONES Hoplophilic Doc Millennium Member

Being capable and sufficiently confident to work on a Glock requires:

1.) Only the most rudimentary mechanical engineering skills;

2.) A sense of comfort with mechanical things; (Some folks DO lack this, and wouldn't replace a torn shower curtain themselves, much less work on a gun.)

3.) A thorough understanding of how Glocks work, including the interrelationships of the various parts during the whole firing cycle;

4.) Reasonable and realistic self-confidence, that is, one needs to know ones' abilities and limitations.

After all, Glock "gunsmithing" is mostly just parts replacement/exchange.

Simple polishing jobs (eg, of the trigger bar and connector surfaces, and feed ramp) are also easy as pie, though are not part of the curriculum at Glock Armorer courses, which emphasize stock configurations as the party line.

I couldn't even IMAGINE paying somebody money to work on my Glocks, as though they could do something that I couldn't!

If you feel the need to do so, that's OK, but you COULD learn to do EVERYTHING a Glock might ever require if you were only so inclined, and interested, and of course, mechanically "capable".
    If giving Ben Paz at Glockmeister $65 gives you confidence that "the job HAD to have been done right", well that's fine.

I certainly have paid gunsmiths to work on shotgun and rifle triggers for me, since I'm unwilling to chance messing up the metal tempering of their sears and hammer hooks, and am not so familiar with the trigger designs of many long guns as I am with certain pistols, and if we were talking about the proper fitment of the 1911A1, or the timing of a nice old S&W Model 19 now, there'd be reason for concern about incompetence, since not all "gun plumbers" out there are truly capable, but for the Glock?
    No. It's just too easy to do it yourself.

20. murph2127

murph2127

FWIW,

At the armorers class I wasn't shown how to do trigger work on Glocks, beyond exchanging triggers and connectors.

The class did teach me a lot about how the gun worked and how to take down and reassemble the gun correctly, but it didn't teach me to do any magic to the mechanism.

I have seen paid for trigger jobs on glocks that were breathtaking, and quite a few home jobs that were very good too. I've also seen commercial and kitchen table trigger jobs turn any glock into a G18

I have a friend who is a M1911 gunsmith and he does very nice trigger jobs. What he brought to the table was that he had a very experienced eye for isolating all sources of drag on the gun and smoothing it out. He did some of the tricks with tweaking the trigger and striker engagement, but the bulk of his work was in just smoothing some things. Nothing he did couldn't be done by the average joe but he just managed to do it quicker and he had the experience to do exactly what was needed with no fiddling around.

I've been tempted to get one of those Glock Custom Racing trigger jobs on one of my glocks just to see how good it is, but cheap SOB I am, I haven't had it done yet.

I think the trick is to set limits. On most my guns I will smooth parts and such, and swap out parts and springs, but I set a limit that I will never change sear angles on guns myself. I have that done. Some folks will do more, others less. The trick is to respect each others opinion on this as long as they themselves don't ram theirs down your throat.

Ted