Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully I have never been in trouble with the law, but a good friend of mine has a few felony convictions for drugs and weapons. I will call him Mike. Mike got picked up in 2001 with a good amount of drugs, plus over 20 guns. All of the guns were legal, but the drugs of course were not. Mike is a firearm fanatic, and is the best shooter I've ever seen. When he was released from prison he was forbidden to have any weapons. He bought several more guns, and was convicted of them and sent back to prison. He's getting out soon, and he has basically told me that he has next to zero hope of finding a job.

What can convicted felons do for work? I know with the amount of unemployment out there, it's hard for even the most honest people to find a job. Mike has a huge handicap since he is a convicted felon. He's a good guy who made a few bad choices, but that's life. Is there any hope for him to find a job that isn't minimum wage and isn't illegal? He is a welder by trade, but I don't know anything about that line of work or if a felony is a big deal like it would be in law enforcement or government work. What are his options when he gets out later this year?

·
Long Trail
2,476 Posts
Become a Painter, this trade welcomes people from all walks of life.

·
Raven
12,747 Posts
^.

Also, start your own business. Any kind of business. Its YOUR business.

Or get on a labor crew. Go to a small mechanic's shop. Join the military (with a waiver). Theres still all sorts of possibilities out there.

·
NRA4EVR
11,693 Posts
I know a number of convicted felons working in the building trades. Some of them make a pretty good living at it because they stay off meth and keep the alcohol under control.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
buddy of mine is a financial adviser, has a felony for owi x3 (before he got the job). he ended up moving to a big city with good public transpo instead of sobering up and trying to reapply for a license.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Politician? :whistling:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
As a retired Probation/Parole Officer, I can tell you for a fact that convicted felons hold jobs in almost all fields. Of course he can not be in law enforcement, and there are other jobs that he will not be able to get. One of the requirements of being on Parole/Probation was to provide verification of employment. I have seen check stubs from convicted felons showing them making almost $2000/week. Yeah, that is $100,000 a year and those were legit jobs. There is a Ford plant here and several of them worked there. Also, I had folks in sales making $75,000 a year. I saw their W-2 forms so I am sure of what I am saying.
Like E-2-E said, painters make pretty good money too.
It's all in how he presents himself.
Best of luck to him. I have seen many convicted felons turn their lives around. It can be done.

·
6,997 Posts
Car salesman

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
Motivational speaker?

·
General Flunky
2,903 Posts
A Commodity Relocation Engineer if he can leave the state.

·
Giant Member
5,469 Posts
He can get a little truck, some 5 gallon buckets, some shovels and pick up dog crap. Calling himself self employed doesn't get much easier than that.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I know a number of convicted felons working in the building trades. Some of them make a pretty good living at it because they stay off meth and keep the alcohol under control.
what he said. construction is full of them. down side is lot of drug users are also in construction and that may be a bad situation for your friend to be placed in.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Community organizer.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
social worker?

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
In most states anything that requires a professional license is out. Financial advisor, realtor, insurance agent Etc...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts