close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What bullet powder combo gives best accuracy in your in-line muzzleloader?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by oldsmith, Jan 9, 2006.

1. oldsmith

oldsmith

I just got a T/C Omega and the first thing I tried worked pretty well, especially with iron sights. (see vonfatman's thread on the T/C omega and my pics).

I'm looking for a scope, thinking about the Leupold 2-7 VXI and wan't to work up accurate loads for groundhogs and potent loads for deer and possibly something bigger later.

My 230 LRN for my 1911 didn't work too well with MMP sabots. Next I'll try Hornady XTP's in several weights, I like those in pistols. I hear good things about Barnes bullets. So far I'm using 777 and winchester primers.

Thanks!

2. noway

noway

What works best for me; XTP/SST seems to do good for me. I only use RS/proydex in loose form.

You will find out what works best for after you try most everything out on the market ;)

3. vafish

vafish

My TC Thunder Hawk is a .54 Cal with a 1 in 38 twist (IIRC).

I shoots Buffalo Bore 425 gr .54 cal bullets the best with 100 grains of 777 (max recomended is 120 but accuracy suffers a bit at that level).

Like Noway said you'll have to see what works for you. That's half the fun of BP guns. It will take several days at the range to sort it out.

4. Roger C

Roger C

Cabela's Dead Center, 240g, over 100g Triple 7

5. Keith5579

Keith5579 STONEHOUSE

I use 240 grain XTP with 3 50 grain pyrodex pellets in my Omega. Shoots great at 100 yds.

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

85 grains of 777 FFG with a T/C Shockwave 300 grain in my CVA shoots excellent.

In my Dad's Knight Disc that I just sighted in, 90 grains of 777 FFG with a T/C Shockwave 250 grain.

The shockwaves are pretty tight in both guns but produce .75 MOA groups at 100 yards. Worth the extra elbow grease to me ;)

7. oldsmith

oldsmith

I got a pound of loose FFG 777 so that I can work with it. The shockwaves that came with the gun did OK, but not as well as the Powerbelts did (all with 100 grains of pellets).

Is there a good source for Shockwave/SST in bulk? It looks like you can get about 20 at the most for about $.50 each.

I'm going to try Hornady XTP's too since I load them for the 1911.

8. MapleCove

MapleCove

I've had real good luck with the 200gr Dead Center bullets. You can get them from Cablea's or go to the mfg's website....prbullet.com.
    The website has alot of good info and these guys seem to know alot about muzzleloading. Give them a call they will recommend a good bullet for you hunting. I also like the triple 7, fffg about 100grs.

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

I use a scoped TC Encore with 110 grains of pyrodex under TC's 250 grain Shockwaves. My bullet holes touch at 100 yards!